MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that the safety can be removed from the M&P 45 and a small filler be put in place to fill the gap where the safety comes through the frame. Has anybody else done this? Or has any one taken it out as part of a detail strip? I am thinking I want to remove the safety on mine. Is this something that can be done by the owner, or does the pistol need to shipped to S&W for the change?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It can be done, but the parts are not currently available from S&W. If you can find someone who wants a safety, Dan Burwell can make the switch for you very easily. He dit it on mine.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I got to ask, if you didnt like the slide safety why did you buy one? I had to wait 2 months extra till one came in with the slide safety. Be a shame to alter it. Perhaps you could work out a swap with a dealer. Might cost you a few bucks but what the heck. my 2 cents

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Puffy said:
I got to ask, if you didnt like the slide safety why did you buy one? I had to wait 2 months extra till one came in with the slide safety. Be a shame to alter it. Perhaps you could work out a swap with a dealer. Might cost you a few bucks but what the heck. my 2 cents

I got the safety model thinking I wouldn't mind it, as my 1911 has a similar safety. Once I got it and played with it a few times, I decided I did not want the safety after all. It is a damn accurate and reliable pistol, but in a few thousand rounds I have managed to bump the safety "ON" more than a few times while shooting it. Since the safety is not something the pistol needs and will function fine without it, I would rather it not be there. There really is not an alteration to anything per say, the parts are an easy swap and could be changed back it ever needed. I found another guy that wanted the safety instead of his slick side, so he arranged for Dan Burwell to install the safety in the other gentlman's pistol and send me the little plastic fillers for mine. These are all modular parts and will require no permanent alterations to either pistol to install.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Excellent! I think my safety falls too easily so Im sending it to Dan in a few weeks to beef it up and remove the one on the right side My 1911's are all on one side and this needs to be the same.

80 series 1911's are to suit leftist lawyers. Screw em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts