MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how easy or hard it is to replace the sights. I am calling around folks in my local area and none of them have worked on the M&P before so they will not commit to replacing the sights without first looking at the gun. Is there a sight pusher tool available or is it more involved. I expect to be receiving a HiViz/Warren combo any day now.

Thanks!

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Never done a front, the rear is as easy as taking the allen screw out, tapping old one out, putting new one in.

With the warren, after you mark where the windage is correct, take it out and put some red locktite in the dovetail, and re-install.

BTW watch out for the trigger safety plunger on the rear,it likes to fly out.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jester is absolutely right on the rear. Nothing to it really. The front is a whole different story. I was replacing the front sight on my 9c with a gold dot version. Damn near took 'Thor's Hammer' to get the factory one out. I tried both a wooden dowel and more appropriately, a nylon punch before finally going ahead and using a brass punch. Had to put it in a vise and carefully beat the livin' snot out of it!

It did come out with no damage to the sight or the slide and all was well. Like a dummy, I tried tapping the new sight in to the dovetail. Unknown to me (first time I've ever worked on a front sight) that some fitting and filing was necessary on the bottom of the new sight. After getting it started, and no more, then stuck, I called a friend who is one of the world's top smith's. He chuckled and told me to send him the slide. Said "its about a 10 minute job after you've done a few hundred of 'em." I was somewhat disappointed as I had just over 1 1/2 hours into my little adventure.

Long story short... If you know what you're doing and can do the fitting yourself, have at it! If you're not quite sure of your metal molding abilities, let someone else do it. Take it to a 'smith you trust, they won't have any problems. :roll:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Banker,

You thought I was kidding when I said it takes the BIG HAMMER. I have not yet installed a HiViz so I cannot say what you are in for everyone seems to make their sights over sized a different way. They can make the dovetail thicker than it needs to be which is what Speed Shooters does then all that needs done is to remove some from the bottom of the sight or they can make the dovetail wider than necessary in which case you need the proper angle file, these usually go faster for me but not easy unless you have the proper tools.

As Jester said the rear should be easy if it needs any removed just take it from the bottom of the dovetail and you should be GTG.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts