MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new handgun owner and a proud owner of an M&P 40 full size. I love the ergonomics and it's very accurate, but the trigger is gritty feeling. I recently tried a new M&P 40c that didn't feel at all like that. I've done some research online and see that it is a fairly common complaint with the M&P line. I know that a lot of people upgrade the trigger and seer, but I'm not ready to go there yet. I spoke with S&W and they said that I can send it back under warranty and that they would take care of it. Has anyone gone this route? Did you notice any difference (hopefully an improvement)? Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Apex USB is a simple answer to a gritty trigger. The gritty feel somes from the trigger bar pushing up against the USB. The Apex USB is more dome shaped. Inexpensive fix.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Morning MnPNewbie

If you want to push your rear sight out then the Apex as Bob mentioned is probably the best bet to smooth out that gritty trigger pull.

Just for reference----

I bought a new S&W M&P 45 that came with a very gritty trigger & a fairly high initial trigger pull weight (slightly over 9lbs).

A few strokes on the edges of the trigger bar hump that contacts the firing pin block helped a bit, then a few more strokes with some 1200 grit wet & dry on the trigger bar hump (side that contacts the firing pin block plunger on trigger pull) & it was slightly better yet.

Then about 1500 rounds through the gun & about 1/2 as many dry fires & it feels acceptable. Still not butterly smooth but smooth enough that I don't even notice that issue any more.

I was going to put an Apex USB & Hard Sear in but as of now the trigger pull has dropped to 6.125 lbs & the grittyness is not noticeable when shooting the gun so I haven't decided yet. The trigger pull is still a bit high at just over 6 lbs but very very crisp & it shoots perfectly for me as is.
I can tell the bit high trigger pull when dry firing but when shooting the gun at the range it is a non issue.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I run Apex triggers and rams in all of my M&P's. it is an easy fix for the gritty feeling and take up. Also provides a more positive reset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More on the gritty trigger...

So I went to the range today with gritty M&P 40 and my new 40c. The 40c trigger is smooth and isn't too long in the stroke. It's also a bit lighter in the pull. I found I was much more accurate with the 40c and enjoyed shooting it more. I'm pretty new to shooting, so my technique ain't great and my accuracy is inconsistent, but I'm thinking that the difference in the trigger feel helps to account for the greater accuracy with the 40c. Anyway, I'm sending the 40 FS back to S&W this week to have them take care of it under warranty. We'll see how that goes before making any decisions on a trigger job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Search for 25 cent trigger job. There is a PDF file of powerpoint slides that shows key areas to polish. I do this on almost all my gear and makes a world of difference for me. Super quick and easy. I skip the portions involving actual cutting or filing. The polish job works good enough for me. You do need some punches and a small allen key for proper disassembly. Its always good to get ahold of the tools for the future anyway. The polish job will make you more familiar with your pistol, and you can break it down beyond the field strip in the future for a proper cleaning.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you send it back and have tge money to spare, then have them do the M&P performance action package. It made a huge difference in my trigger. My M&P9 is now my "go to" gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts