1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Powder: Alliant Unique, 5.3 grains

Bullet: Berrys 115 grain copper plated 9mm

OAL: 1.120"

Primer: WSP

Brass: Mixed, once fired

Distance: 21' indoors slow shooting

I am a new shooter but with time my groups are becoming tighter and getting closer to the bullseye. Dry firing has helped with my accuracy. I would also like to have the trigger job done.

Currently working on a diagnosis of my average groups landing to the lower left of the target . This has been an issue with others in the forum in other topics. Flinch?

I really enjoy making my own cartridges, it really adds to the shooting experience.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You are either breakign your wrist in anticipation of the recoil, or you are milking the grip when you pull the trigger, or you are jerking the trigger (probably with a less than perfect trigger finger placement).

Your groups are tight and close to POA (assuming the center), so I'd suggest it probably isn't breaking the wrist as that usually winds up a bit further out, and a little bit more low than left. I'm also assuming the center red dot is about 1" in diameter, if it is much larger, then it looks a bit more consistent with breaking the wrist in combination with jerking the trigger or improper trigger finger placement.

Much more likely is that you are jerking the trigger, or milking the grip. Given the realtively tight groups, I would suggrest you are milking the grip unles syou are taking a nice long time to aim each shot.

That's my best guess wtihout seeing you shoot, or knowing the size of the targets and how many shots make up the ragged hole.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raz-o,

Thank you for taking the time to write about this and I really respect your experience and professional response. It's interesting what you noted. I'm impressed.

Like you mentioned,I have 'caught' myself milking the grip (increasing hand pressure) just before I pull the trigger (anticipating recoil) AND also jerking the trigger. I think its a combination of both happening at the same time. When I notice I'm doing this, I put the gun down and take a break.

I place the trigger in the center of the pad of the index finger, so I think I am good with this part. I am right handed and in doing some reading in books and in the forum here, the idea of 70% hand pressure with the left support hand and 30% pressure with the right trigger hand has helped.

A few months ago an experienced pistol shooter noticed I had a 'death grip' on the pistol. This is funny, but I was consistently shooting the human paper target in the groin when I was aiming at the chest! I also blamed my new M&P and handed him the pistol. He then proceeded to shoot bullseye with it. Got to love having an Uncle that shoots every weekend.

I am scheduling a private lesson soon at a local indoor range I go to. I will bring a couple recent targets and will work on the lower left impacts. A lot has to be in balance here.

I have a question. What is your feeling on the two elbows? Should they be fully locked out straight in front or relaxed and slightly bent when you shoot?

I had a chance to go go to a USPSA match this weekend but I declined b/c of my accuracy. I would like to get a private lesson in first by a professional before I go out shooting with a few bad habits that needs fixing. I will also do some dry firing exercises.

Thanks again,

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts