MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

10-8 Performance Sight

10-8 Consulting is proud to present the 10-8 Performance Rear Sight. Designed by Hilton Yam, this sight incorporates a combination of unique features not found in any other production sight. While the unique appearance is what typically captures people's attention, this is truly an example of form meeting function. The rear blade of the sight has a flat angular surface which provides the user additional options of slide manipulations over sights designs that have a ramped front. The sight blade is thick enough to allow setting tritium vials in lengthwise (ie. as dots) if one so chooses. It is contoured and dehorned for comfortable handling and carry.

Precision CNC machined from heat treated 4140 bar stock, this rear sight is designed to withstand the rigors of hard duty use. Unlike rear sights machined from soft, free machining alloys, the hardened bar stock construction allows this sight to better resist the nicking and denting that is typical with the wear and tear of daily carry. It features a .125" x .125" U notch for fast alignment with tritium dot or gold bead front sights. The rear face is serrated at 40 lpi to reduce glare in varied lighting conditions. The sight features a plain black blade, finished in matte black manganese phosphate.

Introduction...

The Smith & Wesson M&P handguns are still new enough to market that not very many of the more recognizable manufacturers are producing sights for them yet. Other than Novak which OEMs the sights to Smith & Wesson, no other manufacturers have tritium night sights. In fact, supply from Novak is even so scarce that S&W is not selling the complete front/rear tritium sight set as upgrade pieces. The only piece you can buy through authorized S&W armorers is the front night sight.

I wasn't real pleased with the factory Novak sights -- am I ever pleased with factory sights? -- so I was searching for something to replace them with. I happened to stumble across the 10-8 Performance sights mentioned in a thread on the M&P Pistol forum so I took a chance and ordered one.

The 10-8 sight is a replacement rear sight only. It has no dots, just a U shaped channel or aperture, and has serrations to minimize if not eliminate glare.

The beauty of this system, to me, is that it gives you two less things to distract your eye from the front sight. No rear dots, just the simple U shaped channel. Your eye is immediately and naturally drawn to the front sight just as it should even with a three dot system. If you can see the dot in the "U" then you pull the trigger. It's that simple.

The only upgrade I anticipate doing at this point is ordering one of the factory Novak front tritium sight blades for each of our M&P handguns, and two more of the 10-8 sights for the two guns not already equipped.

Range Report...

I installed the 10-8 sight on my M&P 40 full-size by myself. No gunsmith needed. It was a simple task accomplished in my garage with a bench vice, some cardboard shims to protect the slide, a hex key and a jeweler's hammer. Total time to remove and replace was about 10 minutes, including time to round up the tools.

Tonight I got to take the M&P 40 out to the range and put 200 rounds through it. The gun had only had 100 rounds put through it previously, so it's still in the break-in period. But I'm happy to say that at 300 rounds total so far, there have been no failures of any kind. Great gun!

I took to the 10-8 sight immediately. There was no learning curve and it really is as simple as "see the front dot, press the trigger". My shots were exactly where I was aiming and it took no effort to blast the centers out of the Shoot N See targets. Very fun!

The Verdict...

I'm definitely ordering more of these for the other two M&P automatics. Hell I may even order one for my Kimber 1911. It only makes sense to have a standardized sighting system on all of the handguns right?

I can see why this sight design is so popular with competitive shooters, police and military operators. It does away with the three-dot system that tends to make your brain do a little too much thinking, and puts in it's place a system that appeals to our base lizard brains. Dot, hole, bang.

I'm impressed. Very impressed. It's the best handgun sighting system that I have used yet.

SOURCE: http://www.10-8consulting.com/108performance.php

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats! I think you'll love it. I just got done installing two more on my and my wife's two M&P compacts. I need to take them to the range tomorrow and fine tune the windage, but they should be pretty darn close to dead-center right now.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice write up. I am seriously considering getting one of these for my incoming M&P.

Question - I was under the impression that this was a "drop in" install meaning no machine work but on Bravo Companies' web site (10-8 gear supplier), Paul states that these sight require machining gunsmith installation? Is that correct?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cgv69 said:
Nice write up. I am seriously considering getting one of these for my incoming M&P.

Question - I was under the impression that this was a "drop in" install meaning no machine work but on Bravo Companies' web site (10-8 gear supplier), Paul states that these sight require machining gunsmith installation? Is that correct?

Mine was a simple drop-in. I suppose there's the chance you might need to file the dovetail down a little if it fits too tightly in your slide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tungsten said:
Mine was a simple drop-in. I suppose there's the chance you might need to file the dovetail down a little if it fits too tightly in your slide.
Sounds good.

For the front, I was going to buy a factory Tritium front sight from Brownells. May be the same deal with filing it a little for better fit but other wise just a brass punch job? I realize I will need to stick it on the base as to not damage the Tritium.

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cgv69 said:
[quote name='Tungsten'] Mine was a simple drop-in. I suppose there's the chance you might need to file the dovetail down a little if it fits too tightly in your slide.
Sounds good.

For the front, I was going to buy a factory Tritium front sight from Brownells. May be the same deal with filing it a little for better fit but other wise just a brass punch job? I realize I will need to stick it on the base as to not damage the Tritium.

Thanks[/quote]

Yes, I had to file the base of my HiViz fiber front sight a little to get it in w/o beating the crap out of it. But my 10-8 rear sight slid right into place. Tolerances on these pieces are so tight that it's pretty much expected that you *might* have to tweak them a little.

Just remember to file off a very little at a time. You can always take away more metal, but you can't add it back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tungsten said:
[quote name='cgv69'] For the front, I was going to buy a factory Tritium front sight from Brownells. May be the same deal with filing it a little for better fit but other wise just a brass punch job? I realize I will need to stick it on the base as to not damage the Tritium.

Thanks

Yes, I had to file the base of my HiViz fiber front sight a little to get it in w/o beating the crap out of it. But my 10-8 rear sight slid right into place. Tolerances on these pieces are so tight that it's pretty much expected that you *might* have to tweak them a little.

Just remember to file off a very little at a time. You can always take away more metal, but you can't add it back.[/quote]

Thanks for the info and advice!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the sight too, and have been quite please with it as a combat sight. As a sight for trying to hold tight groups...I find it's a little harder to use, personally, than the square notch sights.

For a carry gun though, I'm quite pleased with it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
For those of you who've gone from the stock Novaks to the 10-8 or Warren sights: Does the U notch make a big difference or is it just because the dots are gone? I had my wife paint the rear dots black and i definitely like the sight picture better. I want to buy a new sight but can't decide if i want the U or not. DOes it make accurate shooting out past 15 yards more difficult? Will you continue to use the U shaped rear sight?

THanks for any thoughts or opinions.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you saw my review of the Warren sight you will notice that I had already painted my dots black on the stock rear sight. The Warren, and I am sure the 10-8 too, is a much better design to help you pick up the front sight fast.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Nice write up, thanks. I'm still going to test out the warren rear but I might end up with one of these bad boys instead.

Just remember to file off a very little at a time. You can always take away more metal, but you can't add it back.
Sure you can, it just takes a really really really long time. Then about a week later you'll probably end up with a warped sight that you can't use anyway. I'm also a big fan of "file a little, test fit a lot".

·
Registered
103 Posts
chefdog said:
For those of you who've gone from the stock Novaks to the 10-8 or Warren sights: Does the U notch make a big difference or is it just because the dots are gone? I had my wife paint the rear dots black and i definitely like the sight picture better. I want to buy a new sight but can't decide if i want the U or not. DOes it make accurate shooting out past 15 yards more difficult? Will you continue to use the U shaped rear sight?

THanks for any thoughts or opinions.

It has no effect on slow fire accuracy. You're lining the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight. Make sure that the air gap on either side of the sight is equal and press the trigger. Personally, I like a wider notch on the rear sight (like the Warren). For me, the the larger air gap allows greater target visibility and faster sight acquisition for controlled pairs and target transitions. I still prefer the XS Big Dots (but, as I've said in the past, I work at XS so I AM biased), but the Warren Tactical rear sight w/a factory front is pretty slick.

Joe

·
Registered
471 Posts
For me, the Warren sights are also very fast!

Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts