MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you are talking about painting the valley in the rear sight white, don't do it. That will be counterproductive as it will make the rear sight more noticable. You want to concentrate on the front sight. Also, no real reason to mess with the super glue idea, just color in the rear dots black.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I painted the rear dots on my Novacks black but the various curves and pocket edges reflect sunlight differently each time out. I find these reflections to be distracting and plan on either installing a Warren or simply fileing the Novack flat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I will also be adding a skinny fiber optic front sight to my setup, just to encourage even more front sight focus.

Very nice write up. I'm thinking of trying one myself.

How do you like it with the fiber optic sight in the front ??? Any photo's of that ???

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
did you ever have this done? kind of expensive isn't it?
No I didn't have it done and yes it is expensive. I ended up getting the Bowie/Ameriglo operator since I needed night sights ASAP for a class. The cost customizing the 10-8 wasn't too much of a deterrent, but I went with the Bowie operator since it was basically what I was wanting to do with the 10-8 (smaller yellow vials and no white outline). I really like the 10-8's U notch but then I shot Distinguished Graduate at Front Sight with the Bowie sight so I think I'll just stick with that.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
No I didn't have it done and yes it is expensive. I ended up getting the Bowie/Ameriglo operator since I needed night sights ASAP for a class. The cost customizing the 10-8 wasn't too much of a deterrent, but I went with the Bowie operator since it was basically what I was wanting to do with the 10-8 (smaller yellow vials and no white outline). I really like the 10-8's U notch but then I shot Distinguished Graduate at Front Sight with the Bowie sight so I think I'll just stick with that.

how much harder is it installing the ameriglo / bowie sights with the MGW tool? i've been thinking about trying his serrated sights.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
how much harder is it installing the ameriglo / bowie sights with the MGW tool? i've been thinking about trying his serrated sights.
Its a little trickier since the side edge that the pusher pushes is not as squared off as the 10-8, but its still doable, especially if you file a little off the sight. Mine fit very tight and filing a bit off made it slip in easier with the tool. You obviously don't want to take off too much, but the screw in the rear sight gives you a little insurance that the sight will hold once in place.

·
Registered
237 Posts
you're still stuck in the night sights on the rear aren't you? You want (maybe need) a rear sight that draws your eye TO the front sight, not distract you away from it. The 10-8 sight and this sight do that. Some say this one more than the 10-8 version. You will notice that both of these sights are available with your vision distracting glow in the dark inserts. Why, simple, because some people that read way too much guns and ammo think that is what is needed to survive a viloent encounter at night. Take you factory night sights and go into a nice dark closet. Hold the gun up and quickly tell which one is the front sight. Whether it is the pro's in IDPA/USPSA competition or the guys and gals who go into harms way on a daily basis and can be counted on for good information agree on something. They have a black rear sight and a front sight that they can find fast. Novaks have been the standard bearer of sights for a long time so no it doesn't "suck" but there are better alternatives. Can we please quit with posts like this?

I think it is a disservice to tell people who might not know as much as others here to "quit with posts like this". Eddo was asking a question

that he didn't know the answer to. As far as what someone needs or wants, I have found that what works for one shooter may not work

for another. I personally prefer night sights in the front and rear sight, and I can tell the difference between my front and rear sights in a

nice dark closet due to the contrasting colors. Not all guys and gals who go in harm's way daily will have the same opinions on....well....

anything, and job description does not necessarily make them "experts" on weapons or tactics ( I am one of those people who goes in harm's way daily, , well, five days a week anyway. )

I hope that instead of inferring that someone asked a dumb question, we might do something good for that person like sharing what works, or has worked, for us as individuals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Despite all the BS I found this thread very helpful in making my decision to purchase the Warren Tactical rear w/FO front set. Love em'

·
Registered
129 Posts
I purchased a regular warren tactical rear sight and found it to be fantastic. I too initially blacked out the white dots on the stock novaks but all of the rounded edges were catching my eye and giving me a very blurry sight picture. I love the non distracting surface of the warren and the way the profile is shaped. When you focus on the front sight the warren seems to turn into two vertical posts in which to place the front sight. I like it so much I will soon be buying a set of warren tactical night sights.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts