MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s a question for yall…

I’m a right handed shooter with short stubby fingers. I have a ton of ammo down range with my HK USPs and Walther P99, both of which allow me to use my index finger to drop magazines via the ambi mag release. In fact, I think both are designed for this.

I picked up my M&P yesterday and got to trying out the various administrative functions with it last night.

With the standard right hand thumb release, I have to pivot my hand to reach it which I don’t really care for.

I decided at random to swap the magazine release and it basically fits me perfectly for trigger finger operation which is what I’m used to anyway.

Anyone else tried this? Anyone else tried this now that I mentioned it?

I tried a couple of quick reloads last night and found that with a “left hand” release setup, my reloads were far less clumsy and as a result, WAY faster.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You are not alone there, I like the idea of the Index Finger release too.

I haven't had the time to Swap Mag Releases yet, but I mght do it for a local match and see how I like it.

Y

Reactions: GunsNLoaded

·
Registered
524 Posts
Only issue I can potentially see, and this may be due to how my hand is built or how I grip the gun, is that my hand overlaps the backside of the mag release pretty good when I grip the pistol normally (with the mag release set up on the correct side of the gun for a righty). If the mag release was facing the other way, with my high grip I could potentially drop the mag...

Other thing is that you could, under stress while doing a combat reload, catch the trigger instead of the mag release, causing a ND. It may be less of a liability for those less spastic then myself

Just two things I noticed while fooling with my gun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've done this on my Production 226 and on my nightstand 228 as it's easier for me to manipulate (I can reach the mag release with my strong hand thumb, but I cannot get enough pressure on it without rotating the pistol in my hand). It's much easier for me to drop the mag with my trigger finger, and I find it to be no slower (it's actually probably for me faster) than releasing the mag with my thumb. For me, I don't have to rotate the grip this way and I can still drop the mag then bring my trigger finger back up to a safe position while I finish the reload before acquiring my next target.

I'll probably end up swapping the mag release on my M&P too.

The only real problem you might have is if you plan to carry (either on duty or CCW) as some holsters don't cover the mag release on that side of the gun, and you can accidentally bump the release, dropping the mag at a bad time. I know a guy who CCW'd his pistol this way, and while driving in his truck he bumped the mag release enough that the mag actually came out of his gun, and he didn't know it. When he came back to his truck later he found his magazine sitting there in his seat, and his gun was empty except for the chambered round!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I guess I'm just lucky with having long fingers. I just played around with it and I have to bring my trigger finger too far back. However, with it set up for thumb release my thumb naturally glides over making mag. drop extremely effortless.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know of several officers who swapped the mag release so that they can access it with their index finger. The most important thing during a mag swap is to maintain your shooting grip. If you have to adjust your grip so you can access the release... you are wasting time. Just be sure to train your muscle memory to the new release position and you should be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I changed to trigger finger press about 9 months ago, noted half second faster reload if you have Rev-A slide stop, I don't have large hands but can hit the release with middle finger buy just letting off the grip a little and tap it with inside edge of nuckle, works for me.

Regards,

Dean

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know this is a long dead thread. I am a lefty how shoots my family 'righty' guns often.
Up until this winter I always had my M&P mag release on the right-hand side. But I noticed that shooting my wife and daughters pistols. I 'liked' dropping the mag with my middle finger. All my pistol I have switched to left side releases now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts