MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with Glock-style solid pins for the M&P? I really detest the roll pins, which will not push out by hand with either the built-in M&M tool, or a Glock tool. They have one Glock-style pin, why not three?

·
Registered
512 Posts
They are not meant to be pushed out by hand. Get a set of punches and hammer them out. They are made to stay put unless intentionally taken out. As far as Glock style pins, I have not heard anyone on this site or anywhere else who has replaced them. Others might have heard differently.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Don't cry. You need to get a 1/8" diameter roll pin punch. I got mine at Sears.

They are a piece of cake to take out and put back in with a small hammer. One roll pin I have removed and put back in about 8 times without problems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Cry"? I guess real men beat on their pistols with hammers. . . never mind, I thought you could actually ask a question here and get practical answers instead of childish insults. Apparently some are wrapped up in the un-Glockness of their M&P, or S&W can't be wrong, or whatever. I hadn't had that experience on the forums for the "other" plastic pistol. Now I know what to expect here. Bye.

·
Registered
319 Posts
k2ue said:
"Cry"? I guess real men beat on their pistols with hammers. . . never mind, I thought you could actually ask a question here and get practical answers instead of childish insults. Apparently some are wrapped up in the un-Glockness of their M&P, or S&W can't be wrong, or whatever. I hadn't had that experience on the forums for the "other" plastic pistol. Now I know what to expect here. Bye.

Wow, I guess you should just buy glock if you like their feature soo much.

Someone woke up in the wrong side of bed....

Sound like newb, but..

Whats rollpin?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mity, to further iterate the subject, there are 2 types of roll pins out there...

That picture shows both types.

The one on the left shows a typical roll pin, and the one right shows a 'tension' pin. The M&P uses 'tension' pins.

BTW, a set of "roll pin" punches makes life much easier when dealing with either type.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
319 Posts
SO then why do original poster thinks this is bad?

Tention pic would have sontinuesly provide tension so that pin would not back out.

isn't that a good thing?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes and no.

A solid pin requires either some sort of stop to hold it in place, or a groove is cut into it and spring holds it in place. If there's a stop, it's only prevented from backing out in one direction, and if there's a groove, then it requires a separate part to hold it in... Neither is a very good solution, except in the case of the groove style, if that separate part (in most cases a spring wire) serves another purpose. AFAIK, in most Glocks, the groove in the pins just serves as a relief for the frame material to hold it in place, and can wear out over time (repeated assembly & disassembly) - I may be wrong though. I know several folks have had their Glocks apart many times without and problems of pins staying put, but I prefer tension pins - simple design and they generally stay put very well (i.e. no walking out on their own, and if they do, you generally catch it well before the pin disappears).

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
]
k2ue said:

It just amazes me;the kinds of things people on forums get upset or angry about.

There is,however,a "Sense of Humor" store in most malls that can help the problem.

You guys later in the thread;thanks for the info re roll pins.It will be useful to me when I have to remove one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Because the roll pins are so Dammmm ugly. (Not that I care, I bought the M&P to Shoot, not to show off). Hearing that S&W uses spiral wound rollpins rather than the cheaper style makes me even more pleased with their decision.

The original poster needs to wash the sand out of his mangina.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If you remove the front roll pin and re-use it, it may start walking out when you shoot. I believe the leading edge of the roll gets rounded as it passes through the steel block reducing its ability to bite into the plastic. If it is removed in the reverse of how it was originaly installed a portion retains the bite. If however it is driven all the way through the steel block it will no longer stay in place. I had to purchase a new one to stop my 40's pin from walking. They are available from Midway or Brownell for around a buck each. No biggy.

:twisted:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah the front one in my 9mm is walking out, I've never removed it. First time I noticed it was walking out was when I returned home from the range and was stripping it for a cleaning...the flip down lever hit. I'm going to replace it, but I don't recall that one or the one in the rear being a Tension style, they looked like a regular spring roll pin to me. I will look again to verfiy...my gun was bought in August of this year if that makes any difference.

I went out to the car and was leaving work for lunch so I took a look at the spring pins...and I stand corrected they are Tension style, they are just roled so tight it looks like a solid roll pin. I think I'm going to try and put a small burr on each end to help hold it in place.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
MC said:
Yeah the front one in my 9mm is walking out, I've never removed it. First time I noticed it was walking out was when I returned home from the range and was stripping it for a cleaning...the flip down lever hit.

yeah.. That roll pin that sticks out and stops the takedown lever from rotating too far?

That's intentional.. it's there to stop the takedown lever from rotating to far and gouging the polymer frame.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts