MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I THINK that my front roll pin is starting to back out
. I used a small nail and hammer to tap it in a little bit, and am going to keep an eye on it. I only have 1400 rounds through it. Any info I should have regarding this?

·
Registered
77 Posts
make sure which pin it is.

get some loctite and apply it to the end.

not sure if the slide stop has the pin running through it and has a recess cut into the pin to keep it from walking.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The front roll pin is supposed to stick out to the left a little bit. (If you are looking at the pistol from butt to muzzle.)

I would not put loctite on the roll pins. Those roll pins are really tight. If you do have one walking a little bit, then replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
the front roll pin sticks out to the left some because it works double duty holding the gun together AND acting as a sstop for the takedown lever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To move the roll pins you should really use a roll pin punch made specially for roll pins. They have a projection on the end that slips into the center of the pin and helps in not buggering (tech term) up the end of the pin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
JackB said:
To move the roll pins you should really use a roll pin punch made specially for roll pins. They have a projection on the end that slips into the center of the pin and helps in not buggering (tech term) up the end of the pin.

Help out a guy if you could. Why use roll pins and not just regular hardened pins like the Glock uses? I'm pretty sure there is a good reason. I'm just not sure what it is and am looking for help. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
a roll pin acts as spring of sorts keeping pressure on it's suroundings to help hold itself in place. Rather than a traditional pin that can walk out given time

·
Registered
638 Posts
My rolll pin that engages the notch in the take down lever on my M&Pc 40 is walking a bit under recoil. I'd like to try installing a new roll pin. Does it matter from which side of the frame you knock the old one out? And yes, I have a roll pin punch. Thanks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
After about 100 rounds or so my locking block coil pin backs out to this point and stops. But that's further out than I'd like it to be. This is a brand new pin. The original pin did exactly the same thing. Any tips on preventing this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Kraigster414 - That's the way it's suppose to be. See the half-moon notch on the takedown lever? The roll pin acts as a stop for it.

You're good to go.

·
Registered
638 Posts
m4arc said:
Kraigster414 - That's the way it's suppose to be. See the half-moon notch on the takedown lever? The roll pin acts as a stop for it.

You're good to go.

I don't believe it's supposed to be that far out. It was not when I got it new, unfired (nor is out that far in my 9c). The pin only has to be out a little to engage the notch in the take-down lever plus when it's extended too far out, you risk snagging the gun on the inside of your holster or on your clothing. I hope that's not the way it's supposed to be. :?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The exploded diagram I downloaded from Brownells shows that pin being removed from right to left, the same direction your photo shows it walking. And yeah, I also don't think it should walk out this much. I haven't experienced this...yet.

·
Registered
638 Posts
politegunner said:
The exploded diagram I downloaded from Brownells shows that pin being removed from right to left, the same direction your photo shows it walking. And yeah, I also don't think it should walk out this much. I haven't experienced this...yet.

My gun is on its way back to S&W to address the "restless pin syndrome," aka: RPS

If you are having problems with your locking block coil pin walking, Dan Burwell suggested this but makes no guarantees:

"You could try “denting” the pin by laying it on a solid surface putting a regular screw driver on it and smacking the screw driver with a hammer. This will make the pin kind of oblong and should tighten it up a good bit. Just don’t go to wild on it or you won’t get it back in..." Position the screwdriver about 1/8 inch from the end of the pin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts