MP-Pistol Forum banner

Rookie questions, please help

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  robpiat 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to MP-Pistol and for that matter, new to handguns as well. I've been doing some research and a lot of window shopping, and I think I've decided on the M&P 9mm, just not sure if I want the compact or full size. Can you all help me make that decision? Also, how much should I be paying for them, and where would I get a good deal? Ok, last question: if I buy online, (gunbroker) for example, can I still get the $50 rebate and 2 free mags? Thanks a lot in advance.

-Rob

#4 ·
If buying online I say buds it is a new gun and you get an actual store receipt which will get your rebate. If you are new I highly suggest a full size it In my eyes the full size will fit you a lot better seeing as you are still new. You cannot go wrong with either but it will be an easier transition with the full size IMHO...

#5 ·
dont bother with the compact, unless...

A) you are a freakishly tiny person. if you have the hands of a 5 year old child.

B) this is intended as a ccw peice.

i have the .40 full size AND compact. they are both good guns, by all means. but when i go to the range, I only bring my full size. it's much better for that purpose. if i'm shooting for points, i find this one more accurate... i shoot better with it.

however, when i carry... i find full size a little uncomfortable for my personal taste, so i carry the compact. this IS accurate for a compact... but then again, I'm not trying to shoot for an "X" the size of a quarter. I'd be shooting for center mass and the destruction of human meat.

so pick... comfortable carry or fine tuned target shooting.

#6 ·
f-bomb said:
so pick... comfortable carry or fine tuned target shooting.

I would agree with this, although, I do not have the compact. I do have the full size in 9mm and I don't have any problems carrying mine, holstered inside the waistband.

I like knowing that the protection I carry for CCW is the same gun I practice with at the range.

#7 ·
micah said:
I like knowing that the protection I carry for CCW is the same gun I practice with at the range.

+1

I carry my full size M&P9 without trouble in an IWB holster. However, the suitability of a particular pistol for a particular mode of carry is so dependent on body size, shape, belt, holster, experience, clothing, environment ... it's really hard to tell someone else whether a full-size M&P will work or not.

#8 ·
ToddG said:
[quote name='micah']

+1

I carry my full size M&P9 without trouble in an IWB holster. However, the suitability of a particular pistol for a particular mode of carry is so dependent on body size, shape, belt, holster, experience, clothing, environment ... it's really hard to tell someone else whether a full-size M&P will work or not.[/quote]

i fully agree with both of you...

i would RATHER carry my full size... but have a touch of discomfort in doing so. We dont know that the poster couldnt carry it comfortably.

but just as generic, impersonal advice... I'd say the compact is a bit easier to carry at least.

anyhow, 100%, if you CAN handle carrying the full size... go that way.

#9 ·
I would also add, how much are you going to carry? Also where are you from? Why i ask these two questions? Because if you are going to carry everyday, I would buy a compact. Even know you can carry a full size, if you main purpose is a daily ccw weapon a compact would be better for that. And the reason I ask where you are from is, it is harder to ccw in summer clothes that it is jeans and sweatshirt. Just my 2 cents, I would also look at other companies. The sig 229 and glock compacts are not as big as the full size m&p, but not as small as the compacts. Also for a glock 19 you will have a lot more ccw holster options.

#10 ·
At your experience level, I would highly recommend you get the full size, save the compacts for when you have more experience.

And by the way.....

#11 ·
Wow, thanks a lot for all the quick replies. Well let's see, I'm a student and live in a some what safe neighborhood (Gainesville, FL). I can't have any weapons on campus, and probably won't carry on a regular basis. So, from what you all have said the full size seems like the way to go. I'm gonna wait and contemplate it for a little while to make sure I make the best choice. Am I right in saying that most people would suggest buying from buds online? Again, thanks a lot to everyone, you all are great.

#12 ·

9mm full size :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.