MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my friend was shooting for his ccw coarse today and he informs me when he inserts his mag in with force a round loads into the chamber.the instructor and the cop there were both amazed and thought that was something the mp was designed to do.so i go up and try that with my 9mm and 45 both mp and it doesnt do it.i told him i think he has a bad magazine as i have never heard of this before.any thoughts?

·
Registered
673 Posts
9mm full size and it does it every so often... It doesn't bother me cause that's where I was going anyway... I think it's got something to do with how it was locked open, like on a hair trigger, and with the shove and slap it just lets go.

Sort of a good not meant to happen thing. 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but the slide is closed and the round pops out of the mag into the chamber.i thought he meant the slide closed also when he inserted the mag thats what prompted me to try mine both open and closed.but mine dont do that.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Wait ... what?

You're saying that with his slide closed, if he inserts a magazine into the gun hard enough the top round of the magazine will leave the mag and somehow get into the chamber of the barrel?

That's pretty much physically impossible. With the slide closed, the chamber end of the slide is locked tight against the breachface. The slide must cycle to pick up the round. Otherwise, it's a Houdini trick, because the round has to pass from the magazine into the chamber through solid steel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes thats what he is telling me and hes a close friend so i dont dought what hes saying but im too confused how this can happen ive never heard such a thing but he also has witnesses the instructor and a sheriff deputy.but i want to get together with him and try that mag in my .45 and see what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok sorry for the post weve cleared it up seems to have been a communication error between him and me it happens when the slide is locked open.but i also tried my .45 and i cant get it to close but i have wwb hollow point and he was using fmj round nose cant imagine it would make a difference.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
OK, that makes more sense. Look at the links I provided earlier. This is a common thing. It may not happen with every gun, but it's common enough. The force and angle used to insert the mag plays a major role in getting this to happen.

I've seen far too many students and competitors who swore it always worked with their particular gun suddenly have a problem because it didn't happen when they needed it to. It's simply not reliable, even if it seems to happen every single time when you're practicing casually. You're also probably causing accelerated wear on both the mag tube and the slide catch lever since essentially you're slamming the mag past its intended stopping point.

I've never seen any police department, federal agency, or military unit that taught to use this "feature" on any gun. That's a clue to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your replies.after clearafying things i tried my 9 and 45 again and i could get the 45 to do this but the 9 would hang up having 17 rounds i guess is to much force to let the slide move the bullet.but i also noticed it did take quite a bit of force to get either one to release much more than i would normally use.also i guess i should also let you know hes 6'4 and close to three hundred compared to me 5'7 160 confusion sometimes between loading something with force is totally different again thanks for the help and replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts