MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just adopted an new family member. The Ruger LCR. I liked how it felt in the hand, etc.

Any comments on ammo choice/brand for this gun?

Off to the Post Office to get my check mailed!!

Reactions: mppistoltoter

· Registered
7 Posts
Just adopted an new family member. The Ruger LCR. I liked how it felt in the hand, etc.

Any comments on ammo choice/brand for this gun?

Off to the Post Office to get my check mailed!!

I swapped for an LCR about 3 weeks ago, and it's not a bad little revolver. It's lighter than my 642, but the Hogue grip is thicker than those on the S&W so it's a toss up as to which is more concealable. I like the LCR, but I'm afraid my wife may be wanting to swap her LCP to it!

Edit: I've shot mine with the +P loads and I'm not sure I'd really enjoy the .357 version without those Hogue Tamer grips. For defensive loads I've tried Hornady Critical Defense 110gr FTX, Hornady 158gr XTP, Winchester WB/USA 158gr +P JHP and Federal Hydra Shok 125gr +P. They all shot fairly close to point of aim. I also tried some S&B 148gr WC and Winchester WB/USA 130gr FMJ. For whatever reason the 130gr FMJ landed a bit to the right in my particular gun. My wife was willing to shoot up every round of the S&B WC's and Hornady Critical Defense loads.

· Registered
2,979 Posts
.38 or .357

· Registered
3,068 Posts
I've got an LCR in 22 LR. Nice little shooter. I'd like one in 327 magnum.
I have one of those I bought several years ago, for training. It was the summer that .22 LR disappeared from the face of the earth! (I also had bought an SR .22-P a couple weeks prior.)
Anyway; I bought that Ruger specifically because the trigger was so heavy.

To clear things up a bit; I’ve trained with multiple .38 spl snubbies previously, shooting them double action only. Why, you might ask? Because if you take the time to work the fundamentals; you’ll get dialed in on those snubbies. After that; any handgun you pick up will feel like a full-on custom with a great trigger. You’ll also be able to shoot the hell out of a snubbie; while most who buy them can’t. 👍

1 - 12 of 12 Posts