MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long time gun owner, first time Pistol buyer. I did my research and decided I would buy a Smith and Wesson M&P in the 40 s&w caliber.

I purchased the 40 S&W M&P New on 8/4/07. I shot one box of 50 rounds through the pistol the same day. After shooting it I oiled the locations listed in the manual and wiped the gun down with a clean rag. I then placed it in our night stand drawer in our temperature controlled bedroom. The gun never touched a drop of water, or sat in a damp location. One week later I take the gun out to shot again and it was covered in rust. Needless to say I was very upset that my new gun, only a week later, looks worse than my 1934 revolver. There is surface rust on the serial number, both magazines, front and rear sight, inside the magazine chamber, and even on the Slide (on the bottom rear and back sides)! I was under the impression the gun was stainless steel. In fact it says stainless just an inch in front of the rust on the slide?! Since it was designed to be a duty pistol I figure it would be low maintence and withstand most conditions. That was not the case; it couldn’t even sit in room kept 70 degrees for one week. I could not imagine it after a month if I was an officer carrying this weapon in the weather.

I contacted Smith and they are sending me a prepaid label to ship it too them. I will follow up with what they do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
WOW....... That Sucks.......PLEASE keep us posted as to what they do for you. I just purchased my second M&P. I will be Pissed if that happens to mine.

BTW... Sorry to hear you are going through this.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
I doubt if the sights are stainless, but still you are showing some rust on the slide and the take down lever, strange stuff for sure....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hope S&W makes good on this, I've had mine a week with 200 rounds. This makes me want to get mine out and look it over, hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
936 Posts
wow, thats bad; Are you sure that rag wasnt the slightest bit damp, or had some acidic juice on it, or something?

How bout an un potty trained cat who can open drawers!?

I hope SW will fix you up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have all my guns in my bed room Bed room is A/C'ed.

When I shut the A/C off, i've noticed that they were drentched in condensation because guns were cooled due to AC, but when i shut the AC off, and door opened, muggy air would cause condensation.

Luckly, i noticed right away, and all 5 guns were taken apart to be cleaned so that i have no issues with rust

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jamesr...I don't know what to make of this but it is unusual for sure. I hope that S&W helps you out. I've had my M&P since March. I carry it much of the time and shoot it a lot and it barely shows any wear and absolutely no rust. A couple of friends have M&P's too and there guns show no signs of rust either. Your gun's rusting problem is a mystery and is not a common problem with the M&P.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
coldsteel said:
Jamesr...I don't know what to make of this but it is unusual for sure. I hope that S&W helps you out. I've had my M&P since March. I carry it much of the time and shoot it a lot and it barely shows any wear and absolutely no rust. A couple of friends have M&P's too and there guns show no signs of rust either. Your gun's rusting problem is a mystery and is not a common problem with the M&P.

Thanks guys, I also think this was just a defect and smith will make good on it. I will have a full write up when i get it back. It shipped out today.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Possible Explanation

jamesr said:

It almost looks like fingerprints on the take down lever and rear sight.But your wiping with oily rag should have prevented this. So it's a mystery. Hope S&W solves the problem. It is not endemic since I am in HUMID South FL. and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I carry my 9c often, and it's often dripping with sweat as a result.

The only rust I have noticed is a slight bit under the edge of the rear sight.

I cured that with more frequent wipe downs with my Ballistol soaked rag.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
That's not normal, brother. I've never seen a pistol rust that quickly without some sort of help from caustic materials.

Clean it up - I seriously doubt that it is deep enough to cause metal damage - and at least once a week, and every time you fire it, clean it and apply a light coating of CLP to all of your internal moving parts, any area which showed rust/corrosion, and the entire surface of the slide and barrel, inside & out. If the problem still persists, it is likely that you have a defect in the protective coating of the metal.

Have any internal parts shown signs of rust?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Well, if you were sweating up a storm while shooting, a few dabs of oil and a rubbing with a rag might not have gotten to the bottom of the slide, but a high grip, meaty hands, and lots of perspiration might have gotten some sweat in by the rails. Which would explain the slide. Stainless doesn't mean corrosion proof, and leaving sweat on there for a week will get you some low grade rust like that.

The sight is definitely not stainless. I don't think the takedown lever is either. Something the sights did not like got in contact with them, no idea what. The lever could be from sweat when reassembling.

Do you have a hitory of killer sweat?

I'd send it to S&W for fixing. When you get it back, I'd give it a nice light coat of CLP, and a wipe with a silicone rag before putting it away.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wipe mine down with Break Free CLP a couple of times a week here in the SW Florida swamp. It's easy to do, and I don't consider that high mantainance. Never had a problem. In fact, I just loaded a 24 foot truck in 97 degree weather, then unloaded it at a new residence in Punta Gorda. Sweated my brains out, and the gun was soaked for hours. Slept overnight that way, and wiped it down 2 days later with Break Free again, not a spot of rust. I also spray the inside of my galco leather holster with break free every once and awhile.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I just cursed my mom out the other day cause she took her compact out and shot it, put it away in her bedroom(AC), then shot more, then AC, and I asked to look at it the other day and it was rusty.. She said "isn't it stainless?" I said if you don't clean it it WILL RUST!!! She wipes it down with an oily rag, but with all the humidity, it still rusted.

Everything(guns) will rust if you put it in the right environment under the right conditions, I'd look into what those conditions were, not the metal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the same problem. Read my thread here: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...;highlight=rust

I started with eezox ad it works. No rust yet but its a pain in the arse. I did get some weapon shield and man, it makes things glide easier that's for sure. So I'm going to stick with weapon Shield as it's easier to work with. I live in texas, sweat on my gun. With the one coat of eezox and the Weapon shield once a week, it's not rusted again.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts