MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M&P40 developed rust spots.



I was at out yesterday on our hunting land getting the tractor loaded up and set to plant food plots for the deer. My pistol was fresh and clean from the bowling pin match the week before.



We had a few chores to do prior as we had heavy equipment in doing (dirt) road maintenance. It was hot and humid. I stayed pretty much wet with sweat from 10AM till 4:00PM. We picked up our seed from the supply store, planted, and then got hit with a drenching thunderstorm. We were stuck out in it--my M&P on my side with water all over and in it.



Got home around 7:00 PM, dropped the mag, cleared the gun and low and behold-small rust spots along the slide where my sweaty arm had been contacting it all day. Just in front of the rear sight behind the ejection port. Time to get the oil out...



Scrubbed it down and saw the reddish tint on the oil rag. The rust came off but I can still tell where it was. Jeez--how does this even come close to passing .mil tests?



Don't get me wrong, I love my pistol but damn...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,062 Posts
You can send it back to S&W. Apparently there was a batch of slides that were not finished properly. Others have reported similar experiences but that is NOT the norm. I do not baby my M&Ps and I've never had a problem.
 

·
Site Founder
Joined
·
2,889 Posts
dude, you don't understand what will pass mil spec tests... you gotta keep it lubed... Putting something through all that, I would be surprised if it didn't have rust on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jester said:
dude, you don't understand what will pass mil spec tests... you gotta keep it lubed... Putting something through all that, I would be surprised if it didn't have rust on it.


I know that is a lot for a metal product to be exposed to but, I felt that coated stainless steel would have lasted a couple of days before rusting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I don't think it should rust either. I don't do much for mine as far as wiping it down and not even a hint of rust. Sweat, rain, left in holster, never an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
CLB said:
[quote name='Jester']dude, you don't understand what will pass mil spec tests... you gotta keep it lubed... Putting something through all that, I would be surprised if it didn't have rust on it.


I know that is a lot for a metal product to be exposed to but, I felt that coated stainless steel would have lasted a couple of days before rusting.[/quote]



It's already been stated the "coating" does nothing to help against corrosion because of the fact it is stainless steel and not regular steel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MTech said:
[quote name='CLB'][quote name='Jester']dude, you don't understand what will pass mil spec tests... you gotta keep it lubed... Putting something through all that, I would be surprised if it didn't have rust on it.


I know that is a lot for a metal product to be exposed to but, I felt that coated stainless steel would have lasted a couple of days before rusting.[/quote]



It's already been stated the "coating" does nothing to help against corrosion because of the fact it is stainless steel and not regular steel.[/quote]



The thing i am basing my concerns on is that i hunt with a SS Browning Bolt action rifle. It goes through some really extreme environments (sweaty hot days, rain, etc) for a couple of days before I can wipe it down without showing rust spots. It WILL rust if it goes for an extended period but not after a few hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
CLB said:
[quote name='MTech'][quote name='CLB'][quote name='Jester']dude, you don't understand what will pass mil spec tests... you gotta keep it lubed... Putting something through all that, I would be surprised if it didn't have rust on it.


I know that is a lot for a metal product to be exposed to but, I felt that coated stainless steel would have lasted a couple of days before rusting.[/quote]



It's already been stated the "coating" does nothing to help against corrosion because of the fact it is stainless steel and not regular steel.[/quote]



The thing i am basing my concerns on is that i hunt with a SS Browning Bolt action rifle. It goes through some really extreme environments (sweaty hot days, rain, etc) for a couple of days before I can wipe it down without showing rust spots. It WILL rust if it goes for an extended period but not after a few hours.[/quote]



Well complaining about it on here isn't going to fix anything.. It sounds like/seems pretty obvious you got one of the bad slides. Call S&W send them your pistol and smile when it comes back with a free mag and maybe even night sights like everybody else has been getting when they have an issue. :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Free mag and night sights? ......







.... Um, yeah, S&W, ah, my gun is having this problem....



What kind of problem? Um, ah, um, it needs, ah, ...



.... It needs another mag and night sights!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I have a call tag on the way for my M&P9. It turned positively fuzzy with rust after just a few days under the seat of my Jeep. I've had Glocks living in the same spot, like trolls under the bridge, for years without any problems.



From reading other posts/boards, there was a problem with the metal treatment of some slides that causes them to rust quickly.



S&W is making it right with no fuss. Just give them a call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Rusting M&P

CLB said:
My M&P40 developed rust spots.



I was at out yesterday on our hunting land getting the tractor loaded up and set to plant food plots for the deer. My pistol was fresh and clean from the bowling pin match the week before.



We had a few chores to do prior as we had heavy equipment in doing (dirt) road maintenance. It was hot and humid. I stayed pretty much wet with sweat from 10AM till 4:00PM. We picked up our seed from the supply store, planted, and then got hit with a drenching thunderstorm. We were stuck out in it--my M&P on my side with water all over and in it.



Got home around 7:00 PM, dropped the mag, cleared the gun and low and behold-small rust spots along the slide where my sweaty arm had been contacting it all day. Just in front of the rear sight behind the ejection port. Time to get the oil out...



Scrubbed it down and saw the reddish tint on the oil rag. The rust came off but I can still tell where it was. Jeez--how does this even come close to passing .mil tests?



Don't get me wrong, I love my pistol but damn...


I finally had a chance to call S&W. I told him about the issue and he said it should have NO rust. They are sending a shipping stuff. Should I send the slide or the whole pistol? I forgot to ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Free mag and night sights? ......







.... Um, yeah, S&W, ah, my gun is having this problem....



What kind of problem? Um, ah, um, it needs, ah, ...



.... It needs another mag and night sights!




Dammit...why can't Mine have problems? Frackin' S&W sold me a perfectly reliable gun


Hmmmm... maybe I could just say it had a problem...they wouldn't check would they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,062 Posts
Re: Rusting M&P

CLB said:
Should I send the slide or the whole pistol? I forgot to ask.
Send the whole thing. They've already paid for it to be sent overnight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SN is MPNXXXX..



I finally just sent it off to S&W. I have been covered up with work. Thye sent an overnight UPS label so I will post--probably in a couple of weeks when I get it back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Mine started rusting too. Unfortunately it's no longer the stock barrel finish, so I'm out of luck with regards to warranty service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
SCFireFighter said:
Mine started rusting too. Unfortunately it's no longer the stock barrel finish, so I'm out of luck with regards to warranty service


Is it rusting on the new barrel finish or on the original finish surfaces?

What does the serial number begin with? (Just trying to pin down which series are rusting)
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top