MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just getting my reloading area and press setup- once done going to reload 9MM for the first time.

I have Clays, WSP and Rainier TCJ RN 124grs.

Went to Rainiers site and they say to load for lead or a 10% reduced jacketed bullet.

Went to Hodgdons site, looked up data for 124's...only list 125's.

Starting load for FMJ is: 3.5. So... .35 = 3.1

So is 3.1, 3.2 OK, and load just a few and try'em out.

Many thanks for helping a first timer out, Tom

MY SITE

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
It should be safe to go 10% under. Do you know what a squib is? Make sure you only load one round at a time when you go to shoot!! Make sure the bullet has left the bar. before loading another round. Do you know how to check the spent cases for signs of over/under charge? Invest in several good reloading manuals, and read them thoroughly!! Best of luck! BE SAFE!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Clays is a real soft shooting powder. I use it in my 40 so I don't have to chase brass. It'll take some playing to get a load that will reliably cycle, and I ended up at 3.8gr on a 155gr bullet out of a max recommended of 4gr. You'll know when you're too low because all kinds of fail-to-feeds happen. Also go between the lowest and middle of the Min-Max OAL listed, especially with the flat point Rainiers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info:

Its been awhile since I started this thread and the minimums I started with, with powders W231, Clays, TG and Unique would barely cycle pistol.

So I loaded up a second batch of ten with each powder, with a'few more tenths and got them to cycle and feed but were barely hitting the target @ 10YRDs

Third round of ten loads/per powders were right on...
Very pleasant to shoot and accurate...

Which leads me to another ?

O.A.L. is 1.116, which seems to be satisfactory in my 9MM, whats everyone else seating to?

TIA, Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
Red Dog Leader said:
O.A.L. is 1.116, which seems to be satisfactory in my 9MM, whats everyone else seating to?

TIA, Tom

I shoot 147gr Zero JHP over 3.2gr TiteGroup at 1.125" OAL with WSP Primers. Makes minor power factor for both IDPA and USPSA in my full size M&P 9mm. Nice shooting load too if even a bit soft. The gun cycles well with 3.4gr in the same specs but doesn't shoot well with 3.3gr for some reason. Looses accuracy past 12 yards or so and tumbles often.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts