MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
makes you want to slap on a fake mustache big ol FBI sunglasses and a blazer jacket

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
13.5 oz, boy that thing is light!

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
lets just label everything with the M&P markings just to see if it sells.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a 642 that I didn't think I'd trade for much of anything, but this has some features that I really like-primarily the dark finish but mostly the U-notch rear and XS front. I'm not sold on the price of scandium vs. aluminum for the money, but evidently everyone else is. I guess it has the lock...
but maybe my no lock gun would get enough trade to make it close. I'm pretty much rather take a poke in the eye than go full a cylinder full of .357s...make that 2 rounds of .357 in an airweight frame, though.

I see Jester's point, though...will there be a 22A M&P next?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stainless steel cylinder will lower the cost of this revolver some.

The stainless steel cylinder will also add about an ounce to the weight.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
S&W is saying these are the reasons they are offering the SS cylinder:

1. Rapidly increasing cost of Ti.

2. Eliminate bullet restrictions.

3. Eliminate damage from cleaning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like it. The one thing that I don't like about my 642 is the sights. If this new M&P sight combination works - I am referring to the experience of others that have put XS front sights on their scandium models to find that the impact elevation is way off - it may just be the best pocket j frame.

Adam

·
Registered
373 Posts
If this new M&P sight combination works - I am referring to the experience of others that have put XS front sights on their scandium models to find that the impact elevation is way off -
I hadn't heard of this but it doesn't surprise me, the J-sights are pretty darn short. My older gun doesn't have that option, just a machined sight that is very low and hard to see. Since they have gone to a U-notch rear, I'm hoping that they worked out the geometry involved and opened up the rear notch, too. It would be a shame to screw up what looks like a really good idea. Oh, yeah, now do me a K-frame one....3 inch barrel. 8)

·
Registered
490 Posts
well no one else has said it so i will........that is a LIGHT 357! people talk of the sting from airlight.weights already. wonder what this will bring.

I like the look. reminds me of the old blued model revolvers. If I had the money I would buy it and keep it unfired for a few years. Never know when they will stop making it.

I do like the black stainless cylinder. Other forums some of us know about covered the issue of the Ti cylinder. the common post was "get the stainless cylinder" when people asked about the condition of their cylinder.

THUMBS UP S&W!

·
Registered
54 Posts
S&W M&P 340

I also like the looks of that revolver. I might have to buy one to keep my S&W 340 PD company. New York reload, but I'm in PA, I got to justify it somehow. The recoil from those light revolvers can be a handfull with .357 Magnum rounds, but that's all I have ever carried in my 340 PD. It gives me a nice warm, fuzzy feeling. The light weights are weapons to have with you at all times no matter what your wearing or where your going. Great carry weapon, definatley not a fun gun for punching holes in paper at the range, unless your using .38 specials.

Dennis

·
Registered
373 Posts
well no one else has said it so i will........that is a LIGHT 357! people talk of the sting from airlight.weights already. wonder what this will bring.

That's why I said I'd rather have a poke in the eye than touch off two .357 rounds in that thing. No way am I interested in firing anything other than standard pressure .38 rounds (Nyclad Chief Special 125s) in any J-frame, steel or otherwise. I have put 6 or so of 158+P LSWC through my 642, and it will not happen again. If I had this gun, it would be the same "minus P .38" loads in it. I saw some chrono results in a snub J for .38 vs. .357, and I mainly recall it was much pain, little gain. That is why I made the reference to a K-frame one. I'd probably go up to +P in that unless it was steel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts