MP-Pistol Forum banner

S&W 340 M&P

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Jhp147 
I have a 642 that I didn't think I'd trade for much of anything, but this has some features that I really like-primarily the dark finish but mostly the U-notch rear and XS front. I'm not sold on the price of scandium vs. aluminum for the money, but evidently everyone else is. I guess it has the lock...
but maybe my no lock gun would get enough trade to make it close. I'm pretty much rather take a poke in the eye than go full a cylinder full of .357s...make that 2 rounds of .357 in an airweight frame, though.

I see Jester's point, though...will there be a 22A M&P next?

If this new M&P sight combination works - I am referring to the experience of others that have put XS front sights on their scandium models to find that the impact elevation is way off -
I hadn't heard of this but it doesn't surprise me, the J-sights are pretty darn short. My older gun doesn't have that option, just a machined sight that is very low and hard to see. Since they have gone to a U-notch rear, I'm hoping that they worked out the geometry involved and opened up the rear notch, too. It would be a shame to screw up what looks like a really good idea. Oh, yeah, now do me a K-frame one....3 inch barrel. 8)

well no one else has said it so i will........that is a LIGHT 357! people talk of the sting from airlight.weights already. wonder what this will bring.

That's why I said I'd rather have a poke in the eye than touch off two .357 rounds in that thing. No way am I interested in firing anything other than standard pressure .38 rounds (Nyclad Chief Special 125s) in any J-frame, steel or otherwise. I have put 6 or so of 158+P LSWC through my 642, and it will not happen again. If I had this gun, it would be the same "minus P .38" loads in it. I saw some chrono results in a snub J for .38 vs. .357, and I mainly recall it was much pain, little gain. That is why I made the reference to a K-frame one. I'd probably go up to +P in that unless it was steel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.