MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a pocket sized .380 and was going to get a Ruger LCP but wanted to consider a Bodyguard. Just because I am always surprised how well my S&W M&P firearms shield/compact shoot and feel.

Anyone have a one that could help with my decision, good or bad.

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I own one, with the CT Laser. Fair Warning: I am by no means a firearm expert.

I find the length of the trigger pull, how shall I describe it, exasperating. It simply is way too damn long!

I also find it a bit difficult to sense when the point of trigger reset.

I also own a M&P 2.0 .40 cal Compact with the 4" barrel. It is to that revolver I draw my comparisons. I love the .40 cal!

The Bodyguard is adequate for close-in use, but be sure to have an extra mag or two with you should you have to defend yourself -

·
Registered
402 Posts
While this goes against my S&W heritage get a LCP II. You lose the double strike ability but the trigger on the Bodyguard is horrible.

I actually put the Galloway Santiago trigger kit in my neighbors Bodyguard and I thought it wasn't bad.
My neighbor took it the range and traded the Bodyguard and bought a LCP II.

For a mouse gun I went to buy the LCP I and absolutely hated the trigger about 6 years ago last summer. 5 years ago last winter I was at a new LGS and for grins asked to see the Taurus TCP in the case. It has a awesome trigger and even though I had serious reservations about buying a Taurus semi auto, I bought one. That thing has been flawless except for magazines. It was so surprisingly good that when they were trying to introduce the Spectrum, I bought a second TCP new for $180. Both have blued stainless slides and neither one has had a hiccup. This is am interesting article that I didn't read until after I bought the first TCP: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-taurus-738-tcp/
10,000+ rounds and no trips back in a Taurus? Yeah it's true, I have more then 1000 through each of my TCPs and some of it was very hot ammo.

Since they no longer sell these and most wouldn't buy a Taurus, if the LCP II was around when I was gung-ho about the original LCP, I would have bought that. My neighbors Bodyguard trigger was almost like a Sigma after the lawsuit. Long, gritty and you never knew when it was going to break. Frankly the stock trigger sucks.
His LCP II has a pretty decent trigger on it, far better then the Bodyguard.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The trigger on the LCP is terrible too. I just gave mine away a week or so ago. F that gun.
The original LCP or the LCP II? If it's the original then we are in agreement but if you talking about the LCP II the we are in disagreement. The LCP II trigger is WAY better then the Bodyguard and the TCP trigger is better then the LCP II trigger. The problem with the Bodyguard is the pull is forever, you are like is this thing ever going to go off? Add to that the grittiness and you have a horrible trigger. Then you have the light strike problem that a lot of people run into after a year or two. The Bodyguards a train wreck. Which gun do you think they are writing about here?
"One had gone back to the factory a dozen times for repairs and had also been fixed in-house at least as many times before they just trashed it."

It isn't the TCP, LCP or SIG.

In any gun that I'm carrying regardless of the unlikelihood that I would actually need it, the prerequisite is that it fires and functions. While all these guns are for close up personal defense scenarios, the Bodyguard just doesn't cut it because of the light strike issue. Forget how nasty the trigger is, you'll be pulling the trigger so fast that you wont care how horrible it is. If the gun doesn't go off because of a light strike, you are completely screwed and that's the bigger issue with the Bodyguard then the trigger, light strikes out of nowhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok - so probably no Bodyguard, but you mentioned Galloway Santiago trigger kit and I have always liked their products, installed lots on my firearms, going to investigate that a little further.

Considering a LCP but a later version of the original, some are calling it a Gen 2. The LCP II trigger, might be too good/light for my comfort with a pocket carry piece.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

·
Registered
402 Posts
For what it's worth I thought the Bodyguard was pretty decent with the Galloway Santiago trigger kit. I am also a believer that a carry gun should not have too light of a trigger. My TCPs are at about 4lbs which is right at my absolute minimum, I prefer my CC guns to be at about 5 lbs and have no idea how anyone would carry any gun with a 3 lb trigger. The thing is if I have one on me, it's usually when it's warmer out and I'm basically wearing shorts and a T-shirt. I would never carry one just in a pocket, I have a Desantis Holster that it fits in like a glove made of leather and a sticky pocket holster. The gun can be drawn without anything touching that trigger even though they are small guns. The LCP II trigger is a bit heavier but not nearly as heavy as the Bodyguard.

I just want to make that clear, even though they are "pocket" guns, they are always in a holster whether it's pocket or clip on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh ya, I am a safety first kinda guy, imagine it would hurt to shoot myself and then on top of that get arrested. :no good pocket holster for sure for pocket carry.

One of the draws for me on the Bodyguard is the safety. Some dont like it but not an issue for me after shooting 1911s for so long, almost no matter what platform I shoot, always find myself swiping the side of the firearm with my thumb trying to disengage a safety.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Galloway Santiago trigger kit, this just might be the right way for me to go. Would cost a bit more but I would feel a lot more comfortable carrying a firearm in my pocket with a safety. :yes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Takes a lot of practice!

I have owned and carried a Bodyguard .380 for about 3 years now. After shooting it a lot (500+ rounds) I can give the following pros and cons:
Pros- the pistol has been very reliable and has rarely if ever had a light strike or jam (this includes my own reloads). Accuracy is very good although it takes a heck of a lot of practice to shoot it well (this is true for most micro pistols). I pocket carry and the thumb safety and long trigger pull provide peace of mind that I am not going to accidentally shoot myself in the tender parts. The pistol is light enough that it carries well on long days and disappears into my pocket in a Desantis pocket holster. Cons- the sights can be hard to see (I painted mine for better visibility and then finally mounted a Crimson trace laser which helped quite a bit). The trigger does have a very long pull and takes a lot of practice to master. I found out that if I visualize that shooting it is like shooting a double action revolver it helps me manage the trigger better, but you will need to practice often to stay proficient with it. I did experience a broken firing pin after all those practice rounds but Smith & Wesson repaired it at no charge and it is going strong.I carry mine loaded with Federal HST 99 gr. rounds which chronograph at around 950 fps from this pistol.

I am confident that in a pinch I can place shots wherever I want within
5-7 yards. Anything past that distance will require lots of practice and concentration, but I suppose that for a defensive pistol this will be more than adequate. Overall, I am happy with pistol and continue to carry it daily.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had and carried a Bodyguard 380 for several years for me it is not a range gun but a defensive pistol. For that it works well. The trigger is fine IMO for defensive purposes. At close range I can hit what I need to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I picked up a LCP and like it so far. But I am still considering picking up a Bodyguard especially after seeing Jerry shoot one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had one for several years. The trigger pull is very very long. It took me a while before I could get accurate with it. And by accurate I mean combat accurate. I have had no problems with it and it has served me faithfully as a back up gun and off duty on occasion. If you can get past the trigger pull I think you may be happy. Mine has been trouble free out of the box since 2014.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How does she even have a channel? She acts like this 380 is an S&W 500 magnum and shoots with her eyes closed and limp wristed. I mean if she DIDNT have a channel i could see it, but to present herself as a gun person and to have excuses across the bottom of the screen ....... what a joke.

Look at this ridiculousness. Eyes welded shut and grimacing over a 380

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
My shots are going all over the place.

Yea, that happens when you close your eyes and jerk the trigger.

·
Registered
402 Posts
How does she even have a channel? She acts like this 380 is an S&W 500 magnum and shoots with her eyes closed and limp wristed. I mean if she DIDNT have a channel i could see it, but to present herself as a gun person and to have excuses across the bottom of the screen ....... what a joke.

Look at this ridiculousness. Eyes welded shut and grimacing over a 380
Look at the actual video on YouTube. Read the comment section, it's great. Plus this video actually has more the thumbs down then thumbs up.
I actually had to revisit this because the last time I saw anything like this was during qualifying for my CCL.
There were women who had never shot a gun in their lives that were better then this T&A video. In another video she is on her way to a James Yeager class.
That tells me more then I need to know, I learned how to hide in a ditch when I was 10.
I wasn't supposed to be putting down covering fire while my team was getting killed while I hid.
I wasn't old enough to drive right into an ambush but I suspect this chick got her channel when James Yeager was banned from YouTube.
This was his way of getting on YouTube when his channel was banned.
He's back on YouTube making clickbait and troll videos, that's why you have a a big chested girl making trash videos.
I have two nieces that would utterly shame this chick when it comes to shooting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts