MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my S&W Tac to the range finally today. I have had it since Nov 06 and never shot it. This is my first AR also. I took WWB and some Wolf/Prvi. All of the Winchester ran fine, the Wolf short stroked each round. I also noticed that the Wolf ejected about 3 feet, while the Winchester ejected about 8 feet.

I did oil it before going to the range. When I got home I took out the bolt and noticed that 2 of the rings had their spaces lined up. I spaced the rings about 120 degrees apart as per a thread I have since read. I will be back to the range later this week to see if that is why the Wolf short stroked. Just curious, has anyone else had problems out of the Wolf/Prvi ammo?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got done checking the 2 allens that hold the gas block (barrel), both are tight. I am betting(or at least hope so) that my problem is ammo and/or ring alignment problems. I have another lot# of the Wolf, and some Remington also. My club is closed on Monday, so it will be Tuesday at the earliest before I can see if it is the Wolf causing the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got back from the range. Wolf and the Guat surp both short stroke. Remington and WWB feed fine. I have noticed the Wolf and Guat have alot softer recoil and less "bang/sound" than the WWB and Remington.

Do I just say the hell with it and just shoot WWB and Remington? I personally don't like the fact of having a picky rifle.

I also took off my handguard again, is there anyway to make sure the gas hole and the block exactly line up? Please excuse this question but I am new to the AR platform. In my "logic" I wonder if the holes line up all the way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry if the timing of the posts don't make sense as to the actions I took. I pasted them from my post on GT.

Any ideas/thoughts would be very much appreciated. Do I send it back or just shoot the crap out of it with WWB and Remington? I am going to run some Fiochi thru it also just to see how it does.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know at my local range which is inside they wont let you use wolf or any steel cased ammo, the first is because they recycle the brass the second reason they told me was you get what you pay for using cheap Ammo. I have used Ultramax in my Ar 15 and am currently using some federal lake city surplus that i bought from sportsmans guide and have had no problem. Its kinda like what i read in the book that came with my DPMS. You have spent a lot of money on theis gun why use cheap ammo??

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
The short stroking you are experiencing is caused by low power rounds, some rifles will shoot them fine, some won't, yours won't, now you know what doesn't work so you can avoid those in the future.

I also took off my handguard again, is there anyway to make sure the gas hole and the block exactly line up? Please excuse this question but I am new to the AR platform. In my "logic" I wonder if the holes line up all the way.
If the hole wasn't lined up it wouldn't work at all.

Ultramax isn't good quality ammo, best advice is stay away.

This is Ultramax, they aren't real sharp on their quality control, note that this isn't shipping damage, the box is fine.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts