MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my new S&W M&P shield plus optics ready model, after about 200 rounds I noticed the pin that holds the trigger safety in, was trying to come out. I was able to push it back in and felt it snap in place I’m thinking maybe it just wasn’t pushed in good enough from the factory. All that aside, upon inspecting the trigger I noticed that it has just a little bit of play, if I wiggle the trigger a little bit side to side(left to right). I am just wondering if this is normal, as my original shield does not feel like it has this play at all when moving the trigger side to side (left to right). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s that top pin in the trigger that worked it’s way almost completely out, I pushed it back in and shot about 50 more rounds and haven’t seen it move anymore but I’m not sure as to why it tried to come out in the first place so I was wondering if anybody else had this issue at all. And that makes me feel a little better about the play in the trigger, because it’s very little almost unnoticeable so that is probably normal then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased my Shield Plus in 30 Super Carry on 7/6/22. I've put 260 rounds thru it so far, after reading the OP's description, I looked at my Shield and the pin in the trigger was protruding out more on the right side of the trigger..less than 1/16th of an inch. A quick tap and it went back into the original position. Will definitely keep an eye on this in the future.

·
Registered
M&P SIG Glock Springfield S&W
213 Posts
That larger of the two pins in the trigger had walked out on my Shield Plus Performance Center to the Left
I just put a small block under it & tapped it back in flush with a brass punch & elf hammer
The locking block roll pin had also come out about a 1/16" & centered it back up with a roll pin punch & the tiny hammer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That larger of the two pins in the trigger had walked out on my Shield Plus Performance Center to the Left
I just put a small block under it & tapped it back in flush with a brass punch & elf hammer
The locking block roll pin had also come out about a 1/16" & centered it back up with a roll pin punch & the tiny hammer
I was able to push it back in, I’m just worried that it’s going to continue to do this after more rounds. If that’s the case I’m wondering if maybe putting some kind of lock tite on each end so it doesn’t walk out on it’s own while target practicing. ?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've not had an issue with pins walking out of a plastic pistol/frame/trigger.

Had it with a used 10/22 I bought years ago. They were plastic pins in an aluminum frame. I set the receiver on a block of wood and used a center punch to deform the end of both pins on one side, then turned it over and did the other side of the pins. No issues since then.

I've seen posts about metal/steel pins moving in plastic frames (and now triggers) on more than one gun forum. I've wondered what I'd try if I had the issue. I wonder if:

The pin is the same length as the hole it sits in - remove the pin, shorten it slightly, put the pin back in place and using a small heated piece of metal, deform the outside of the hole just a bit. Do it for both sides.

If the pin is already shorter, just center it and use a heated piece of metal to deform the outsides of the hole.

If you could do it without bending the pin/shaft deforming one end of the pin should also keep it in the hole after you drive it back in.

Or a very slightly larger pin diameter (very slight - never measure the pins in question so no idea what the original diameter is or what bigger diameters might be.

Good luck with it. Always a PITB when little things can mess up tools you depend on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened yesterday was shooting and trigger jammed, noticed pin was halfway out pushed back in and was fine. (note only had gun about 1 1/2 months and about 250 to 300 rds through) Contacted S&W and was told pin should not walk and to send in, which i did. (upside excellent customer service, downside it happened and 4 to 6 weeks to get back.) . As far as replacing trigger not recommended for everyday carry, ( i know some don't care)

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bought one last night. I'll keep an eye out for that.
That "SHOULD BE" an easy swap of parts, IF the trigger bar is indeed the same as the 1.0/2.0 Shield
The magazines do appear to be the same at the very top were the trigger bar goes across to the sear housing between 2.0 & Plus...
FITS M&P Shield PLUS 9mm and 30sc (super carry)
Also fits 1.0 / M2.0 9/40 Shields
Note the earlier Shield doesn't have a trigger stop on the frame like the 2.0 & Pluses do...

LMK how that turns out PLEASE!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've not had an issue with pins walking out of a plastic pistol/frame/trigger.

Had it with a used 10/22 I bought years ago. They were plastic pins in an aluminum frame. I set the receiver on a block of wood and used a center punch to deform the end of both pins on one side, then turned it over and did the other side of the pins. No issues since then.

I've seen posts about metal/steel pins moving in plastic frames (and now triggers) on more than one gun forum. I've wondered what I'd try if I had the issue. I wonder if:

The pin is the same length as the hole it sits in - remove the pin, shorten it slightly, put the pin back in place and using a small heated piece of metal, deform the outside of the hole just a bit. Do it for both sides.

If the pin is already shorter, just center it and use a heated piece of metal to deform the outsides of the hole.

If you could do it without bending the pin/shaft deforming one end of the pin should also keep it in the hole after you drive it back in.

Or a very slightly larger pin diameter (very slight - never measure the pins in question so no idea what the original diameter is or what bigger diameters might be.

Good luck with it. Always a PITB when little things can mess up tools you depend on.
Thank you I really appreciate all your advice, some good stuff here. I may end up trying something like that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same thing happened yesterday was shooting and trigger jammed, noticed pin was halfway out pushed back in and was fine. (note only had gun about 1 1/2 months and about 250 to 300 rds through) Contacted S&W and was told pin should not walk and to send in, which i did. (upside excellent customer service, downside it happened and 4 to 6 weeks to get back.) . As far as replacing trigger not recommended for everyday carry, ( i know some don't care)
So after they replaced the trigger it was fine?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I just checked my Shield plus, and the trigger safety pin in the trigger is perfectly centered. There is a bit of side play in the trigger; but no more, (and possibly less) than any other poly-pistols.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I’d get an Apex for it.
I would if it were polymer = same price
Installed a polymer Apex in my SD9 FDE & it worked out 100%
Just something wrong about putting an aluminum trigger in a polymer pistol

Going to just keep these two Shields Factory Stock including sights magazines etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took shot my new shield plus for the 1st time a week ago. Only ran roughly 120 rounds through it. While getting ready to clean it at home I noticed the pin had fallen out and was missing. The gun never malfunctioned during firing. Called S&W customer service Friday to explain the issue and ask whether the pin only secures the trigger safety or if the trigger is at risk of not working without it.

They are sending me a replacement pin to install at home. Would you ever trust this trigger/gun again?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts