MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard why S&W stock took such a nosedive last week? It went from $21.00 to just over $12.00 in about one day. That is quite a drop! Was there some bad news from or about S&W that caused this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saw that...and bought in to it

I don't know what caused it, but I hope that it continues to rise, for my sake and the companies sake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've said it before... A rebate ($50) and free stuff (2 magazines) sounds great but you have to wonder why S&W has to do it. A promo like this is a major loss of revenue for S&W. Some of the corporate releases say they are offering incentives to increase sales volumes but they don't discuss it's effect on profits or revenue.

The stock market is a very fickle monster and most US investors are VERY short sighted. The slightest bit of bad news can cause a stock to plumet in the short term even if the company is fundamentally strong. If you beleive in the company I'd say it's a good time to buy.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
First off, S&W was likely overvalued by a bit.

Second, they announced that they would not meet their earnings projection.

Third, it's the end of the fiscal year for a lot of people. Tis the seaon for profit taking as well as putting funds and portfolios into idle mode for the holiday season.

Fourth, the stock market is driven by a bunch of compulsive gamblers that are trying to outsmart the system and outguess the guy sitting next to them. Beyond the earnings report, there is likely lots of speculation about what is driving the drop in sales. Increased raw materials speculation, flagging home sales decreasing consumer discretionary spending, decreasing home values resulting in less tax revenue and thus decreased ability for departments to hand S&W piles of cash, a continually weakening dollar being seen as hampering S&W's ability to make profits on their non-firearms branded 3rd party products, etc.

There is also the possibility that S&W is deliberately trying to not meet earnings expectations. It is possible that they could have met earnings forcasts, but CHOSE not to and offer purchasing incentives instead. By doing this, they can increase market share and brnad penetration, at the same time realize tax benefits for the quarter, and still earn interest on the $50 while processing rebates, all while lowering the stock price. This could be in preperation for a stock buyback or some other/additional moves that would allow them to secure more investment dollars for operating capital.

That's if they have been smart. it could also just be them taking a hit for the new shotguns and rifles not rolling out when planned exactly, thus incurring more overhead before they have a chance to earn any profit. Additionally, as product lines, they are likely to take longer to turn a profit than handguns.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Its the stock market for Christ's sake. A butterfly farts in China and the market moves. trying to figure out how legalized gambling works is like trying to figure out why your wife is mad at you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts