MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beginning to worry about S&W as a company. The company stock price has fell from a 52 week high of $22.80 roughly 4 months ago and now approaching $5. Profits are non existent and here they are pumping out rebates and freebees. I know it's a good deal for the consumer but S&W is dwindling away. Not good for us as shooters. They could be setting themselves up for a buyout.

Anyone have any real world insight?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
They can't build enough M&Ps to meet demand. The promotions, from what I'm seeing and hearing, are used by a small minority of buyers (and obviously not by any LE/government purchasers, etc.). It might sway the people who are on the fence, which is worth it to Smith. It lets them keep the nominal price of the gun higher while still existing at a lower price point on the street.

The i-bolt and shotgun sales have been miserable, owed in some part to an industry-wide pitiful hunting season. A lot of the buzz for Smith stock early in '07 was based on the assumption by some analysts -- who apparently don't know enough about the firearms market -- that the Smith bolt rifle and shotgun would be as immediately successful as the M&P. The expectation was madly unrealistic, and combined with the very low sales across the hunting industry this past year, it all hit Smith at once.

Add price of materials skyrocketing, price of ammo continuously on the rise, delay of the big military pistol procurement, increasing threat of anti-gun election results, etc., and a big gun company probably seems like less of a sure investment right now. Having a lawsuit filed against the company based on allegations of securities improprieties doesn't help, either.

·
Registered
505 Posts
can somebody tell me how to buy some stock???

·
Registered
380 Posts
PatM&P said:

no kidding, if it's around $5... i wanna buy an arse-load of it, and hope another $20 boom eventually happens.

then i can sell it, and afford to build a time machine, so i can go back and buy half the microsoft stock the first day it was offered. lol.

·
Registered
382 Posts
S&W stock was up to about $ 25.00, apparently due to insider comments, then it went back down to $ 5.00+. A law firm from NJ has started a class action against S&W hoping that stockholders who bought in at $ 25.00 will sign on. However, I wouldn't panic yet just because some day traders didn't make some quick money. According to financial gurus, the stock valus is probably more in the $ 9.00 - $ 10.00 range. You can find out more by checking Yahoo finance and entering the symbol SWHC.

There is no question that most manufacturers are struggling with rapidly increasing costs, high inventory levels and decreased demand. Much of this is due to the fact that the US Dollar is very weak abroad (i.e. 1 Euro = 1.45 US Dollars). And we wonder why oil prices are high - we're paying with US Dollars!

A Dealer told me today that the S&W holiday shutdown was extended this year because there are 60,000 guns in inventory! I can't confirm this personally.

·
Registered
505 Posts
if i knew how to buy some stock i would probably buy some.... who can shed some light on the subject?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just set up an account with any of the online brokerages. Schwab, Ameritrade, Scotrade, etc.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
PatM&P said:

If you have a 401K or 403B with someone like Fidelity they should be able to set up a trading account for you at little or no cost.

·
Registered
175 Posts
To buy some SWHC stock, setup an account with an online brokerage. Transfer funds into the account. Buy, buy, buy!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
f-bomb said:
[quote name='PatM&P']can somebody tell me how to buy some stock???

no kidding, if it's around $5... i wanna buy an arse-load of it, and hope another $20 boom eventually happens.

then i can sell it, and afford to build a time machine, so i can go back and buy half the microsoft stock the first day it was offered. lol.[/quote]

Just go back to 1996 buy Apple stock at $6.00. That was pre iMac and S. Jobs. It has since split 4 times and now is at $200.00!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I should have bought stock a few years ago when I was thinking about it. Went so far as to call my 401K funds manager. S&W stock was about .10 cents a share or something. This was just after the American take over. How long ago was that? Anyway, the broker said they didn't deal in "penny stocks" and told me to set up an Ameritrade or equivalent account. I never did it. :oops:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Candlesticks don't lie, it hasn't stopped dropping yet I do't think.

Then again. The stock market is legalized gambling...

@itr674

I left Ameritrade due to bad service. Went to Suretrade I believe that was bought out by Datek and was doing good I thought, then Ameritrade bought them out and it's now TD Ameritrade. So, bottom line look at Ameritrade no matter who you go with they are going to buy them out.

(Former Daytrader wanna be)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Remember that this is a presidential election year as well. One that is likely to set direction for two terms... Investors are going to be nervous for a while longer. Without naming names (wrong forum) there are at least 2-3 leading candidates that are very strongly anti-Second Amendment, and another 2-3 leading candidates that are at least moderately anti-Second Amendment rights. For example (no-names) at least 5 of leading 6 candidates are likely to support a renewed ban on "assault rifles" killing MP15 sales. At least two, and I suspect four will be looking to further restrict handgun sales and one is for eliminating CCWs. That would be a huge blow to S&W. Then there is microstamping damaging S&W's ability to market its new products to 38,000,000 Americans beginning in 2010.

On top of that we have the Supreme Court about weigh in on whether or not the 2nd still has any meaning. While it'll probably go at least partially our way, it's not a sure thing.

Wall Street isn't known for its bravery so I suspect that the stock will languish until things get sorted out a bit. At least until after the elections. But that's just my SWAG. I'm sure no expert on the stock market. FAR FROM IT!!! I'm still thinking on whether or not I want to pickup a few shares or not. Not out of any kind of S&W loyalty (business is business) but because I like the price.

·
Registered
282 Posts
sholling said:
Remember that this is a presidential election year as well. One that is likely to set

Wall Street isn't known for its bravery so I suspect that the stock will languish until things get sorted out a bit. At least until after the elections. But that's just my SWAG. I'm sure no expert on the stock market. FAR FROM IT!!! I'm still thinking on whether or not I want to pickup a few shares or not. Not out of any kind of S&W loyalty (business is business) but because I like the price.

Put a stop in at $4.00-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts