MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These 2 new holsters are been added to the M&P Store (in limited qty). Both are the same except for how it's worn; one has a belt slide and the other a paddle.

For those of you who are not familiar with the older 560s holsters from Safariland, it was (without a doubt) the best non-kydex paddle holster. The paddle was as perfect as you can expect of one. It still remains the paddle holster of choice for myself and a good number of folks that I that know in the Bureau. I also remembered Rob Leatham using one for years.

Anyway, fast forward, Safariland has updated their line but they continued to use the same form and shape of that paddle for these new ALS holsters. Both holsters are made out of their SAFARI-LAMINATE with a suede like lining to preserve the pistol's finish.

When you holster the pistol you will hear a distinctive click of the ALS system locking it down and the only way to draw is straight up while you use your thumb to depress the top of the ALS bar. I've tested it enough to say that for those of you who require a retention system on one, having the ALS deactivated with one's thumb is possibly the way to go. I also like the Blackhawk CQC Serpa but some folks are concern about using the trigger finger to release the pistol.

I ran the paddle ALS version against my original 560 (no retention) and the difference on the first shot from a draw was only about 0.2 of a second. Like I said, for me it worked 'cos the top of the ALS release is almost exactly where I would have my thumb, drawing from any other holster.

These are IDPA legal, they stay very close to your body (which is why most of my Bureau friends who just wear short sleeve shirts for concealment like 'em) and the belt loop is adjustable.

6377 - http://www.mp-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=186

6378 - http://www.mp-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=187

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone know if this comes in a "Left Hand" model? I looked on the web site but it does not say.

MadDog 8)

·
Registered
150 Posts
safariland als

Hey, thanks for an informative post on this paddle hoster.I recently purchased and recently RETURNED, a desantis viper paddle holster. Though it was a beautiful piece of molded leather,it did not fit close enough to the body to afford me excellent concealability. I went to safariland site to look at this paddle and it does appear to be more body contoured, if you will. I live in very warm climes, and a tee shirt or golf shirt over shorts is the norm for wear here. Can anyone assure me of minimum"printing' with this paddle. I'd sure hate to add another unused hoster to the drawer, or eat another 20% restocking fee. Also, does this one have an adjustable cant, or is it only available in 'fixed' straight up?. Any info is greatly appreciated, have had my .40c for a few months now and would really like to carry it{ccw} If paddle is not the way to go, don't be shy. Tell me another way. IWB is also an option, i just aint crazy about gun against skin, am not a tucked undershirt kind of guy. Appreciate any suggestions, am a huge fan of this site.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Awesome deal, I may just have to oreder one... Thanks Helmie, for causing to go broke again. :wink:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sniet, sorry brother but I don't know the answer to that one. I'm still waiting on my Dark Earth .45

MadDogDan, sorry bro but all we could get our hands on are for righties.

nevrbvictim, I'll try to get either more pixs or a vid to show you how close it keeps to the body. I've never been much for an IWB and that's why I'd gone with the 560 in the first place.

Mr Walker, I'm keeping tabs on your bank account
Always good to hear from you

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Woln't fit the 45. Slide is a different shape up front

·
Registered
307 Posts
Personally, I have never seen a paddle holster that concealed well enough to use under a polo shirt unless you wear it several sizes larger than normal. Unfortunately, IWB is the best way to conceal large frame service pistols IMHO.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I ordered one of the belt models as soon as I saw this post...I've been a big fan of Safariland for a long time, and I have to say, this holster just adds to my fan-dom. Oh, and I got it in about four days! I've worn it around the house to check comfort, ease of draw, etc. and with a little practice, it's quite fast. I'm looking forward to the next IDPA match to try it out with my M&P 9. Kudos to the M&P Store for excellent service. I will be placing more orders with them as funds become available!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey, Helmie.

Is that screw on the front of the holster part of the ALS system? Just wondering if there is any chance of seeing rigs with both the ALS and some sort of speed cut.

I like the high ride and [what appears to be] close-to-the-body nature of the paddle. Nice.

-B

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boris, yes it is. I did not adjust anything; it kinda worked fine out of the package. Safariland has never made any of these nor similar older ones with speedcuts. I've not seen any on the old 560s and 5182s neither.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The .45 fits in the Safariland 560/561 made for the Glock 17/22 and M&P9. I carry mine in a 560 at work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts