MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been usine #9 to clean the barrels and Break Free CLP to clean the internals of my M&P and Sigma.

I have experienced some gunk buld up in the sigma from using too much CLP. An experienced gunsmith suggested that I use lighter fluid to clean the interlans and skip the Break Free.

Do you agree with using Lighter Fluid? Your input is welcome.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I use Shooter's Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner to clean the internals of all of my semiauto firearms.

I then use ( very sparingly ) SLIP 2000 to lubricate.

This is a great combination of products that work well together.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For me, Gunzilla cleans best and also leaves some lubrication to help with moving parts as well as rust inhibitor. No smelly fumes, easy on the hands, and applies easy. To remove the CLP build up, buy some Gunscrubber (make sure it is for polymer guns-white can) and this will do a good job of cleaning and eliminating the residue buildup of powder +CLP. Then use something like Hoppe's 9, Guzilla, in moving parts areas and gun oil on the rails at the specified points in your owner's manual. Try to hit a happy medium when cleaning and lubricating. Here is a link to Gunzilla, have not found it anywhere but online so far......zorro49

http://www.topduckproducts.com/products.as...roduct=Gunzilla

·
Registered
164 Posts
Besides the fact that there are better cleaning agents, lighter fluid is considerably less safe. It is designed to go into vapor that is highly ignitable. If you ever made a potato gun you would know what I mean.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Actually, this was the type we made as a kid. We'd use soup cans, cut the tops and bottoms off, and duct tape them together to make one long cannon. We'd launch tennis balls about at each other. Not sure where we got the idea from but now that I think of it, my older brother was in the Navy.

When I was in the military, we'd cut the tops and bottoms off of enough beer cans to make a 4' tube, and leave the bottom on the last one to make a base plate. Then we'd poke a little hole on the side and dribble a little lighter fluid in, drop a tennis ball down the tube, and light her off.

Pototo gun and tennis ball gun stories

Instructions using Pringles cans.

Tennis ball mortar #1

Tennis ball mortar #2

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm amazed at how many things we're always trying to replace gun chemicals with. I've heard of trying brake cleaner, vinegar, and now it's lighter fluid!

What's wrong with #9 and a little Rem Oil? They were made specifically for guns and in my experience, if you have good brushes in your cleaming kit, they're all you really need.

Maybe if you're in a war with zombies and lighter fluid's all you've got it would work. But as ong as we have access to the good stuff, why settle for anything else?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe if you're in a war with zombies and lighter fluid's all you've got it would work. But as ong as we have access to the good stuff, why settle for anything else?

[/quote]

Im not stopping to clean a gun when zombies attack, Id rather switch to the potato gun!

I have used carb cleaner, and brake cleaner on 249b's, after a couple thousand rounds the last thing you wanna do is brush and qtip that thing with clp. But I would never use it on my own weapons, not until I have a personal armorer and a stockpile of spare parts.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've heard wd-40 is real good, even the can says for firearms, what do you all think? I'm just curious.
my dad used that for years when i was a kid. I don't think it's a great cleaner. it's 5/10 in both cleaning and lubrication.

For the OP. If you haven't tried MILITEC1 (lube) and MPRO7 (cleaner) you haven't tried anything yet.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm amazed at how many things we're always trying to replace gun chemicals with. I've heard of trying brake cleaner, vinegar, and now it's lighter fluid!

What's wrong with #9 and a little Rem Oil? They were made specifically for guns and in my experience, if you have good brushes in your cleaming kit, they're all you really need.

Ed Zachary!

and what's with everyone mixing up batches of "Ed's Red". As I understand it, this was a military armorer's attempt to create bulk lots of cleaner due to the high number of guns they had to service. it was made from items commonly available at the time, like kersoene, and ATF, lanolin, and naptha.

I'm sure it worked pretty good in its day but the chemicals we have today that are made to purpose are just so much better (and less hazardous) that it seems silly to even consider anything else.

·
Registered
215 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts