MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
Just keep in mind that some solvents aren't safe to use on a plastic frame, I'll use Hoppes #9 on the barrel, but stick with something like CLP for the frame.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nope. It leaves a varnish-like residue behind. I once spent hours cleaning that gunk off a Remington 870 I got for $80 from a pawn shop.

+1. You can use WD-40, you can use all sort of household compounds that would probably "work" at some level, and would not damage your gun if used short-term. However, it is a well known fact that you do not want to use WD-40 long term. It is not a super good lubricant for firearms, and as Chuck indicates, it is also known to gum up after a while, thus attracting debris and actually causing more problems in your gun. See this article that tests various gun solutions, and note especially what he says about WD-40 in the conclusion section.

Spend a couple of bucks extra and get solutions that were made with guns in mind. Take your choice, here are just a few of the ones that I see smart gun owners using, listed in no special order:

- Hoppes #9

- BreakFree CLP

- Eezox (good all-purpose solution)

- Mpro 7 Cleaner plus Mpro7 CLP (this is what I normally use--the separate cleaner plub lube works really well)

- Rem Oil

- Ballistol (great all-purpose CLP-like solution that IMHO is slightly better than BreakFree, and completely harmless to boot)

- CorrosionX (great lube and protectant, combine with a cleaner such as Mpro7)

- Militec

- Kroil

- Gun Scrubber (this would be a good replacement for your lighter fluid. Get the synthetic safe version, so it won't harm your sights, rubber and plastic grips, etc.).

- Gunzilla (new all-purpose, non-toxix CLP solvent that is being used successfully in Iraq. Expensive!).

- Slip 2000 Cleaner, plus their version of CLP

- Weapon Shield (new stuff, I've been trying a sample, really excellent stuff)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been usine #9 to clean the barrels and Break Free CLP to clean the internals of my M&P and Sigma.

I have experienced some gunk buld up in the sigma from using too much CLP. An experienced gunsmith suggested that I use lighter fluid to clean the interlans and skip the Break Free.

Do you agree with using Lighter Fluid? Your input is welcome.
We used 2 use lighter fluid in the Marine Corps after hard days and nights in the field. Nothing breaks down the carbon quicker. This was in the late 70s early 80s

21 - 23 of 23 Posts