MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm set on an M&P compact for carry and now I'm just deciding on what caliber to get. I know everyone here has been in this boat before, so let me know what caliber you choose and why.

If you've been here before than you know exactly how mind numbing this can be, and all things considered I'm just really hung up on how well the .40 155 grn. loads look on paper compared to any other 9mm or even some of the 45s for that matter. Over 1000 fps and 400 + lbs of muzzle energy @ 25 yds is hard to ignore. I like the 9mm for its availability, cost, recoil, and many choices of loadings, it was easier choice back a few years when there wasn't as many 40 loads available.

I DON'T want this to turn into a 9mm vs. .40 S&W thread though. What I want to see is opinoins on the MP9c vs. the MP40c and caliber performance on the same platform. I'd also like views on the "potential" of each model in both calibers. Obviously the cost of .40 and 9mm is pretty close now, and there are multiple loadings for each. Another thing I'm considering is recoil, If I had a 9c I'd shoot heavier 9 loads, say 124 grn - 147 grn, no light stuff. If I had a 40c I'd be shooting the lighter 40 stuff, say 135 grn - 155 grn range. So if anyone has an opinion on the recoil difference between the said loads in each, that would be very helpful.

I also have a few questions about the MPc itself. I believe it was originally designed around the .40 S&W correct? I'd also like to know, if anyone knows off the top of their heads, if any of the parts are different besides the barrel in the 9c and 40c, specifically the recoil spring as this will be important when speculateing about felt recoil. Oh and if anyone has weighed the slides on each compact model to see if they are different or the same. It could make for a very SOFT shooting 9c if everything is still beefed for the 40.

Man that was a long post, sorry for the long read, and there it goes... my mind is numb again...

z-zero

·
Registered
373 Posts
I recently picked up a .40c and simply love it. I prefer .40 over 9mm for self-defense and duty, no real reason, I've liked the .40 since day one. Besides, I got the .40c with night sights, three magazines, and who can overlook the $50 dollar mail-in rebate with two additional mags for $470 - $420 after rebate.

In my opinion, it all boils down to the intended use, your experience, your preference and you wallet.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the .40c too.

the .40 is a nice all around peice of ammo.

i dont play with 9mm... .40, .45. even .357 ... i just dont bother with 9mm.

but when it comes down to it... it's all in where you put the bullet. dead is dead... there is no "kinda dead", "really dead" or "deader than that other dead guy".

whichever you choose... get good with the gun, and find a nice defensive bullet to keep in it.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
z-zero said:
I DON'T want this to turn into a 9mm vs. .40 S&W thread though. What I want to see is opinoins on the MP9c vs. the MP40c and caliber performance on the same platform.

I'm not quite sure what that means. The first sentence seems contradicted by the second sentence.

In general, the gun itself should be fine in either caliber. Theoretically the 9mm has a few mechanical benefits (tapered case means better chambering and extracting; less free recoil energy means less wear on the gun) but from a practical standpoint you'd probably never see a difference.

If you think the .40 will be more effective than the 9mm, if the difference in recoil doesn't matter to you, and the difference in cost doesn't matter to you ... then you've probably made up your mind on the .40 barring some monumental problem. I haven't seen any systemic problem with the M&P40c compared to the M&P9c.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not quite sure what that means. The first sentence seems contradicted by the second sentence.

I was just giving myself plausible deniability if it erupted into chaos.

If you think the .40 will be more effective than the 9mm...

See thats just it, I really don't know, penetration tests, in jello, are very close. I could see .40 having a better barrier penetration being heavier. I suppoes I just really need to shoot both of them side by side and see which "feels" better.

Or I can always flip a coin... :?

Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming.

z-zero

·
Registered
68 Posts
If I read correctly, the M&P was designed as a .40 caliber compact, and then the other caliber models were based off of it.

I carry my .40 compact everyday. .40 because its not really much more expensive than 9mm, unless your shooting everyday.The caliber wars usually end up with the .40 being the best of both ends of the spectrum.

The difference in recoil is not very much. A high powered 9mm can have more kick than a lower to mid range .40

The 165 grains that I have shot at the range are really smooth and surprisingly soft.

Not too small, not too big, like Goldie Locks, its just right

·
Registered
308 Posts
Okay, I will bite!! I bought the 9c over the 40c for a couple of very good (IMO) reasons:

1. The shop where I bought my 9c did not have the 40c that I wanted in stock. I really want a 45c but they are not available (yet). I went in the shop looking to trade in my G36 for M&P 40c, they had a great sale going on, and along with the $50 and free mags...well what was I to do?

2. The cost of shooting 9's over 40's is negligible, but if you shoot a lot, it can add up. Also, shooting 9's is just plain fun...

Shoot em both if you can. Pick one...shoot it a lot and don't look back. Or, as I have been told, if all else fails...get both!

·
Registered
25 Posts
z-zero, I feel your pain because I am standing in the same boat right beside you. I have owned a Glock 19 & 17 as well as the full-sized Glock 22 .40. I didn't like the .40 because the snappy recoil stung my hands after a while so I went back to a 9MM.

But now that I am looking at possibly getting the M&P compact, I'm not sure what caliber to go with. :? I've heard that the full-sized .40 M&P's shoot much softer than other guns in the same caliber, but how harsh is the recoil on the compact version? Are there any bugs in the new compact design that I need to know about?

I may just go with a .40 full-sized, but after handling a compact model for the first time today, they are damned tempting!

-Vincent

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am also a former multi Glock owner. Didn't care much for the .40 in that platform. Perhaps a current MP40c former/current G22 G27 owner can share their thoughts?

z-zero

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in. I owned a Glock 23 and I found it too snappy. I now own a M&P40c and in my opinion the 40c is the softest shooting 40S&W I've ever shot. This includes the Glock 22, 23, Sig 229, Kahr PM40, and a few others. I'm in love with my 40c!

Scott

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have both the 9c and the 40c, and if I had bought the 40c first I'd have 2 40c's. Nothing wrong with the 9c but I do like a bigger bullet.

I have had no mag drop issues or FTF or FTE or anything.

When and IF they bring out the 45c, I'll get me one of those also. :twisted:

·
Registered
25 Posts
bubo2069 said:
Just thought I'd chime in. I owned a Glock 23 and I found it too snappy. I now own a M&P40c and in my opinion the 40c is the softest shooting 40S&W I've ever shot. This includes the Glock 22, 23, Sig 229, Kahr PM40, and a few others. I'm in love with my 40c!

Scott

Thanks for that info, Scott! Now it's just down to whether I get the compact .40 or the full-sized...the full-sized is the same size as the Glock 19 which makes that choice tempting.

But at least it's now just down to the frame size choice!

-Vincent

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pick the largest ammo that you can quickly and accurately place deadly shots on the target. If you can handle .45acp in your shot placement that go with that. If you like the lighter recoil of the 9mm for quick follow up shots go with that. Like alot of people who have replied to this tread i have gone with the middle ground.

Both compact guns are for all intents the same weight and quality.

.40 ammo is becoming very popular.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Scott!, exactly he kind of info I was looking for!

Softest shooting 40 ever? Actually wouldn't be surprised its only the 2nd gun to be designed around the .40 cartridge itself, I think anyway.

z-zero

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was also trying to decide between the M&P 40c and the Glock 23 (.40)

I really wanted the glock, but after shooting both, the M&P felt much softer and I was even more accurate. Made up my mind right there.

Also after putting only 50 rds through the M&P, the Glock felt like I was holding a 2X4.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i had the same problem about a month or two ago. I couldn't decide on a 9 or a 40. i picked the 40c and love it. I carry it everyday and have put about 400 rounds thru it and no problems. It doesn't kick like other 40's i've shot. its much softer. I shot a sig 239 the other day and it is comparable to it as far as recoil goes but the sig is much heavier.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a 9c, and like all the 40c owners, I absolutely love my compact.

I wanted a 40c initially, but several reasons guided me away from that. One, Bud's Gun Shop didn't have any more 40c's in stock, and it would be several weeks for more to come in, many already spoken for. And two, I already have a 40 gun. Now I could have just stayed with 40 and interchanged ammo between the two guns... but I was missing 9mm again, since the only 9mm gun I had I foolishly sold.

And so it is, I got the 9c... and I love it. No problems. Just get the good JHP ammo, like Gold Dots or Ranger-T's, and the ballistics are just as good as 40. And its cheaper.

But like others have said, it comes down to personal preference. Buy what you shoot well, and go with it. And don't look back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No problem guys. There is only one Glock I will ever buy and that is the model 29. The sub-compact 10mm, but that's a whole different animal than the M&P's

I want it all! This keeps my caliber bases covered
Ruger KP95 9mm, S&W M&P40c .40S&W, Para SSP .45ACP. And I know, I know, their not all M&P's :oops: I'll be all over the 45c if/when it's available.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts