MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a beautiful day in State College, so myself, some coworkers, a few friends, and whoever we met along the way, spent the afternoon at the range. I recently did some trigger polishing on my M&P, so I was anxious to try it out. Between the entire group, there were 4 M&Ps, 3 9MM and a 40, and a slew of other stuff (Kimbers, Berettas, other S&W autos, a Glock or two). Most of the guns performed flawlessly, except for a low end 1911.

And my M&P got dumped in the sand. Either it was dropped, or a mag was dropped and carried the sand back to gun, but all I know is when I picked it up off the bench late in the day, after many different hands had shot it, it felt a bit gritty. Ok, a lot gritty. One friend stated that it had been that way for a while.

Sure enough, upon examination, there was a small desert inside the gun. I don't who, how or when (spent much of the afternoon tearing apart a defective 1911 one of my cohorts brought along), but the gun never skipped a beat. I got it home and stripped it to the bare frame (removed trigger, sear block, etc), and tore down the slide to clean it all out. The sand was everywhere, and as I said, the gun functioned perfectly, sand and all. It also made the $800 Kimbers look bad on many occassions. Although the trigger felt like hell with the sand in there, after a thorough clean and lube, she is good as new.

So if you are going to the desert anytime soon, don't worry about your M&P. It's ready to play in the sand!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It's always amazing to hear how reliable this gun actually is. Sounds like you put it through a scaled down torture test without a hiccup. Thanks for being our guinea pig. :wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did the sand cake-up (like wet sand) or was it grainy (dry)?

Eitherway, that's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it was rather course sand to begin with, since it's all mixed in with the soil in the area. Inside the gun, it was clumped up in some areas (I suspect because of the gun oil), and remained grainy in others, the dryer spots. Does that help?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Indeed it does! That's really good to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
matt7184 said:
Type of sand is important to know. In the sandbox the dirt is like talc powder.

I've had encounters with that. The main issue with that is magazines and longer loaded rounds. The fine sand can bind up between the round and the mag-tube. Shouldn't be an issue with most factory ammo as they seem to like to load to about 1.122 and the problem seems to go away around 1.28 or so.

The gun will run with a bunch of crud in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts