MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go the SBR route, I think. It is becoming more expensive, the more research that I do. I have been on AR15.com and M4Carbine.com doing research, but I thought I would check here also.

Not including the TAX Stamp, can one be built with rail system for lets say $1000 for starters. I can not seem to find complete uppers with 10.5" barrels. Most that I have found do not include the BCG, CH's or HG's.

What is the cheapest setup that I can get? When I say cheapest, I don't mean crap either.

Would it be cheaper to buy a 16" complete upper with everything and then have the barrel cut down and rethreaded?

Thanks in advance.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
You answered your own question, build yourself, or cut the barrel.

A good smith in the your area should be able to do it for 50$ to cut and only alittle more to thread.

Tax stamp for 200$

Rifle for 700$ if you build it

150 for a rail that clips on

150 for cutting the barrel.

I am heading that route right now, and picked up another 14.5 upper with the govt profile. I'm going to cut down my 16" barrel.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Keep in mind if you shorten the barrel it probably won't work right, it changes the timing on the gas system, the vent will probably have to be re drilled so it will work right, and in general the barrels shorter than 16" seem to have a lot more function problems.

If you're shooting 3 gun or something like that a shorter barrel might make some sense, but remember the effectiveness of the 5.56 cartridge is dependent on high velocity, shortening the barrel substantially lowers the effectiveness of the bullet on the target.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you're going to shorten any barrel have it done by Randall Raush at www.ar15barrels.com He does excellent work and can open the gas port so that the rifle will work. He shortened my LMT 14.5" to 10.3" and it works 100% unsuppressed and suppressed. Randalls turnaround time and prices are also excellent.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want a SBR because I can and the range I belong to only goes out to 100 yards.

If I have a barrel shortened, does it have to be straight profile barrel or can I do it on a M4 profile barrel?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I'm glad I have these guys watching my back, thanks for fixing me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
utarch00 said:
I want a SBR because I can and the range I belong to only goes out to 100 yards.

If I have a barrel shortened, does it have to be straight profile barrel or can I do it on a M4 profile barrel?

Mine was a 14.5" light (regular) M4 profile. Then it was cut to 10.3" and rethreaded.

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
gotm4 said:
If you're going to shorten any barrel have it done by Randall Raush at www.ar15barrels.com He does excellent work and can open the gas port so that the rifle will work. He shortened my LMT 14.5" to 10.3" and it works 100% unsuppressed and suppressed. Randalls turnaround time and prices are also excellent.

That is so sweet, I am going the SBR route with my new 10/22 build and will eventually do this with M&P15A...

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
josh said:
I'm definitely going SBR w/my suppressor on my next AR-15.

God, I hate you... You already have to many toys. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts