MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

New member here, like the looks of the place and the info avail here. A little background on my shooting preferences... 1911 guy to some extend, big Glock shooter. I have been very impressed with what I have seen in the M&P line and was all set to buy a full size 9mm this week....

...that is until I started poking around here and seeing all the problems some of you were having.

The one issue that bothers me most is the mags dropping free. This sounds like an issue with an area of the frame that is not as simple as just fixing a few parts. I kinda want to wait a few more months and let these bugs get worked out as this is a new platform. What I am seeing here is that S&W is not really addressing the issues head on, rather, throwing out the quick easy (cheap)fixes.

Not here at all to bash, just giving my impressions after spending 20 min looking around here, and quite honestly, I am bummed out as I really wanted this gun to be perfect...

Looking for feedback regarding this, maybe I am off base, but would rahter give them some more time to iron out the kinks.

Best to all-

Drew

·
Registered
1 Posts
M&P 9mm

Picked up a used MA compliant M&P 9mm in June. Absolutely no problems after 200 rds fired.

Upalula universal mag loader solved the thumb buster mag loading

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Complainers are always the loudest, not that there haven't been things to complain about, but take it all with a grain of salt. This is a relatively new gun and S&W is turning them out as fast as they can. Some lemons slip through, which explain the dropped mags, corrosion, etc.

I could have been scared off by the negative reports but chose to recently buy a compact .40 anyway to go along with my fullsize 9mm that I bought last year. I have not regretted that decision. Here is my experience: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6450 There is a very good chance your experience will be the same as mine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got my M&P back in June, serial # MPNxxx, and I haven't had a single problem. The mag has never dropped or anything like that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
M&P 9mm full size- thousands of perfectly trouble free rounds. Never a jam or failure of any sort, not even once. It is certainly routinely exposed to sweat and the salt water atmosphere, and no rust. I give it a regular wipe and lube, and I carry and rely on it every day here in the Southwest Florida "swamp" with full confidence.

·
Registered
178 Posts
you wont have problems. Like coochboost said, those with trouble post about it, those who don't have trouble don't post about it. These are fine weapons and Smith really stands behind them. Bottom line, if you are one of the unfortunate ones who has had trouble, they'll make it right. But truth be told, they're past the consumer testing phase...you'll be fine.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have almost 2K through my full-sized 40 since November and not one problem except rare feed issues with my own handloads that were too long to feed right with the flat points. I have never had trouble with factory ammo, and have never had a mag drop.

I suggest checking out the "No Problems" thread on this site where-ever it is. you'll see a lot of people have had no troubles.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5617

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm going to break the mold here -- carefully -- and speak out as one who has run into the mag-drop issues. While I'm assuming that all M&Ps are designed the same way mine is, I'm going to speak for myself and say that my gun will drop the magazine every single time if I apply a very firm, thumbs-forward grip on the gun. I can now make it happen every single time if I try. I cannot do the same with my Glock, no matter how hard I try.

Like you, I came from the Glock lineup. I jumped on the M&P bandwagon after trying one out and falling in love with it -- so much so that I was ready to sell off the G19 once the M&P proved itself.

My Glock has a superior finish and has been boringly reliable. It has the double-take trigger that some Glocks will develop as a result of a noticeable take-up before the trigger bar engages the striker safety. It's more annoying than anything and doesn't affect my shooting. It has inferior sights to the M&P. It requires grip-tape in order to maximize the effectiveness of a thumbs-forward grip. It's lighter and easier to carry than my M&P9. I'm relatively quick and accurate -- at least as much as I can be at my current experience level.

The M&P9 on the other hand has superior ergonomics and a crisp trigger. It's a dream to shoot and I'm faster with it. It doesn't require grip-tape in order to keep a good grip on the gun. On the downside, it's finish leaves a little to be desired (I have a "smudge" on my slide that came from the factory and the tip of my barrel has some discoloration). Above all, though, I can consistently drop the magazine, relegating the gun to a target shooter only until the issue is resolved. You can read more about that in the mag-catch thread in the Technical Difficulties forum. It's my current belief that my gun won't be reliable for me until the pressure needed to drop the magazine is increased dramatically. At least one member here has modified that themselves.

I'm not telling you to avoid the gun. I think S&W is going to have an excellent gun that competes with the Glock, XD, Sigs, etc as soon as they can flush out all of the bugs. They seem to be aggressive in wanting to fix issues as they come up. If someone I knew were to ask me whether they should buy one or not I would tell them to go to their local shop and spend a lot of time handling the gun -- even shooting it if possible. Apply the variety of grips they will expect to use and see how the gun behaves. But I'd have to tell them that a measurable number of M&P owners (20% on this forum but who knows outside of that) are experiencing issues that would keep the gun from being used as a CCW or night-stand gun.

YMMV and as others have said, there are a lot of very happy M&P owners out there...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I shoot a Glock 34 in competition every week. When and if Smith ever comes out with a 5" M&P 9 with a thumb safety (to rest my thumb on) and no mag safety I will retire my 34. Ergos are superior to the Glock.

In the mean time my current carry gun (an M&P 9) has been flawless. No problems... zip, zilch, nada after a few thousand rounds. Jump in... the water's fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an M&P 45, no mag drops, no rust, no problems.........Love the gun. Just got a XD 9mm Tactical, another great pistol..........

·
Registered
308 Posts
choochboost said:
Complainers are always the loudest, not that there haven't been things to complain about, but take it all with a grain of salt. This is a relatively new gun and S&W is turning them out as fast as they can. Some lemons slip through, which explain the dropped mags, corrosion, etc.

+1 to what chooch said.

I have to slip my $0.02 worth in here. If you look at recent (since internet forums became widespread) posts, when a new design is released there are issues (even the venerable Glock is not imune). If you want to confirm this, head over to glock talk and do a search on the g36. This handgun was a (sort of) departure from what glock does, in that it was a bit of a redesign. I think if you look at any manufacturer, you will see this same situation. People with problems tend to become vocal, you will see this in every area of manufacture/service.

I am not suggesting that the issues should be overlooked, but that if you do have issues, they will be addressed. S&W has a very good record (yes, there are exceptions) when it comes to making things right.

As a final note, I own a G36 and an M&P 45. I have had fewer issues with my M&P (none) than with my G36 (a few minor).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a full size M&P 9 that has been flawless through 1000 rounds, using all types of ammo. No problems whatsoever, no jams, rust, or mag dropping. I clean and wipe it down with weapons shield after each use. I live in Louisiana and you can cut the humidity with a knife, if it had a rust issue it would have surely showed up by now.

I went to the range yesterday after work and someone was there shootin a glock 9mm. He came over and asked about my M&P. He said sarcastically that it was a nice gun but it would never be a glock. I SAID IF IT WAS A GLOCK i WOULD'T HAVE BOUGHT IT BECAUSE THE M&P FITS BETTER IN MY HAND AND IS MADE IN THE USA. I then let him shoot my gun. After shooting a clip he turned and had a surprised look on his face saying that it shot better than his glock and seemed to have less recoil. I TOLD HIM THATS BECAUSE IT WILL NEVER BE A GLOCK. I AM NOT BIASED AGAINST GLOCKS BUT THIS GUY REALLY STRUCK A NERVE.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the complaints. I had a problem with my M&P9 that S&W fixed in less than a week. I probably could have fixed the problem, but I don't like buying something that isn't right and not having the manufacturer fix the problem. S&W's customer service was outstanding.

I've had the pistol for about a year. Except for the sights, it has been mechanically flawless. I've had no rust or finish problems. It has fired every low-cost brand of ammo I can find without failures of any type. I don't shoot it as accurately as I do other pistols, but I don't think that has as much to do with the pistol as it does with the shooter. S&W doesn't have a quick fix for that part. Still, I've shot better with the M&P than some other guys with Gocks, XD's and Kimbers.

I wouldn't knock the competition, they all have strong points. If you like the fit and feel of the M&P, chances are that it will make a pretty good pistol that will compare very favorably to the other brands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got my M&P about a month ago and love it. Have 400+ rounds through it with no problems except one stove pipe week handed. Have three mags and no problems at all.

Points the best of all the guns I own (3 XD's, 6 1911's plus 3 Sigs, and others).

Get one, you will love it. If not, I will be glad to take if off your hands for 1/2 price (LOL).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an M&P 9mm fullsize that has been flawless through 800+ rounds. More importantly, I really enjoy shooting the gun. I have a Glock 23 and have never found the gun comfortable to shoot. After much practice, I got to be reasonably accurate with it and was happy with its reliability. However, once I bought the M&P, my attitude toward my Glock changed completely. I was more accurate with the M&P from the first time that I shot it and it is comfortable and easy to shoot. I now find that I dislike shooting the Glock because I realize that shooting the Glock is work while shooting the M&P is fun.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My M&P 9mm has been fantastic, it is by far the easiest gun to shoot quickly and accurately that I have ever owned. I don't know about anyone else but I find it almost scary how easy it is to put 2 shots on top of each other VERY quickly with this pistol. I've had Glocks, 1911's, CZ's, Browning HP's, SIG's, and other Smith 9mm's none of those was as easy for me to shoot quickly. I haven't had any issues with the pistol in over a thousand rounds, many of which (about 600) were Canadian Forces (full NATO spec, roughly +P+) 9mm with military (extra hard) primers. The mag issue is one that I can understand, there is a lot of stress on the latch when loading a full mag with the slide closed, if the spring was slightly shorter, or the follower about a sixteenth of an inch shorter the problem wouldn't exist. It's like the 10 round mags are nine and a half rounders and you're overstuffing them. Being Canadian and dealing with stupid mag capacity laws all the time I've seen lots of issues caused by incorrect pinning of mags, these mags feel just like a mag that's been pinned without allowing for the pressure of the closed breach. This happens constantly when people pin AR mags after loading 5rounds - our semi auto limit- without inserting the mag and then measuring. This is a range gun for me though, so I just download my spare mags by one round and have no issues at all.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My opinion as a relative newcomer to M&P pistols is that they have the bugs worked out. I was leery of the .45 still until recently but even those are showing good finishes and triggers lately. My .40 full size has been excellent.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't understand whats so nice about any glock. they are fugry and feel wierd in my hand. But i guess they are great guns that'll do what it was designed to do.

But anyway.

I bought my M&P thinking samething that your thinking... infact, it was hard pick over XD.

XD with ported silver slide sure was prettier. And all the issue people talking about with M&P - rust, mag drop, broken striker. But I picked M&P, because I prefer S&W over SA.

Since then, I've shot well over 3500rds of variety of ammos. FMJ, JHP, HP, Leadball, steel cased, Aluminum cased, laquer painted, reloads, 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr.

My gun have yet to hick up whats-so-ever. It goes bang everytime I pull trigger, no matter what, and broke nothing. No rust, no issues. Although, it starts to show little thinning of the Melonite from holster use, but no rust. My trigger even lost original mushy feel. Its very smooth and crisp now

I absolutery trust my life and my families with this gun.

When you take care of your gun with basic maintanance - Patch through after each outing, drop of oil here there, and wipe metal parts down with microfiber towel, gun will take good care of you...

I'll continue to trust my life with this gun forever (Or at least until they release M&P357Sig that is...)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts