1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Secret Service shot at car of agent said protecting Ahmadinejad

10/08/2007 @ 1:51 pm

Filed by RAW STORY

The US Secret Service is investigating why one of its agents shot at the car of an agent said to be protecting Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Advertisement

Secret Service spokesman Eric Zahren confirmed that the agency's internal affairs unit had been tasked to probe why an agent engaged in an "accidental discharge" into the floor of the man said protecting Ahmadinejad, according to ABC News' The Blotter.

"The spokesman would not confirm the type of gun used to shoot the automobile," ABC's Justin Rood reports. "The car was parked in a "staging area," Zahren said. He noted that there were no "principals" near the site of the shooting -- security-speak for the individuals under Secret Service protection."

Two security officials told the network that the agent was protecting Ahmadinejad.

In April, the network reported on another "accidental shooting."

Two agents were shot after the accidental discharge of a firearm -- one shot in the leg, another suffering shrapnel wounds to the face. At the time, President Bush was attending the Virginia Tech convocation ceremony.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Makes me think :wink:

Make me think Bush has a since of humor and would rather kill him on our soil while he has a chance then to fight an extremely long war in Iran.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='coltman1985']Makes me think :wink:

Make me think Bush has a since of humor and would rather kill him on our soil while he has a chance then to fight an extremely long war in Iran.[/quote]

Makes me think the Secret Service needs to up its basic weapon safety training. Come on!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Omikron said:
Makes me think the Secret Service needs to up its basic weapon safety training. Come on!

One LEO in an agency has an AD and you automatically assume that agency's safety training is to blame? Have you ever seen the training that USSS personnel receive?

You can't prevent stupid. Period.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='Omikron']

One LEO in an agency has an AD and you automatically assume that agency's safety training is to blame? Have you ever seen the training that USSS personnel receive?

You can't prevent stupid. Period.[/quote]

Actually it was one AD and one Accident Shooting, in a pretty short period of time. Also, most of the time it's not preventing stupid, since there probably aren't that many "stupid" USSS agents, it's more keeping yourself sharp by continual practice and review.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Omikron said:
Actually it was one AD and one Accident Shooting, in a pretty short period of time.

Granted. However, given the size of the Secret Service (between agents, uniform division, and police) and their incredibly high profile it's safe to say that any mistake they make is going to hit the press instantly. If I have an AD at the range tomorrow, no one will ever know but me.

Also, most of the time it's not preventing stupid, since there probably aren't that many "stupid" USSS agents, it's more keeping yourself sharp by continual practice and review.

I didn't mean the individual was stupid in general, just that someone did something stupid and the result was an unintended loud noise in a public (or publicly important) place. Given the Secret Service's extensive firearms training program, I doubt it was a matter of insufficient practice. Sometimes, people just do dumb things that they know, in hindsight, they should not have done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts