MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love everything about the M&P, and am seriously considering getting one next month.

I definitely want a full size M&P, but cannot decide on a caliber.

So, I ask you guys, why should I get an M&P in ______?

Choose from 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp.

The gun will be used for target shooting 99.999999999% of the time. I hope I never have to use it to defend myself, but I will probably also use it for home defense.

I'd like to get cheap ammo, but would also not mind handloading to improve quality and lower price.

Recoil doesn't bother me a ton, but I don't love it. I currently own a Blackhawk in .45colt. I can handle that pretty well (I don't know how the recoil of the .45auto compares).

I've never fired any of these calibers, and never owned a semi-auto handgun, so I really need some advice.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have fired the 9mm, and the .40 and can honestly say..... It is what you are comfortable with each size caliber has its ups and downs.... I enjoy the 9mm for little recoil and if you get comfortable with it you can be just as deadly with that 9mm as the .40 plus the ammo is cheaper.

The .40 is a little more expensive and I tend to anticapate the bang a little more which makes room for error.. DO your research and rent both a 9mm and .40 of any model and see what you are more comfortable with and adjust fire after that....Let us Know-Jason

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Based on what you said, I would recommend 9mm. Simply because its cheaper and is also sufficient for self-defense.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
In general I look at 9mm as a great target shooting caliber, and as being the entry point for effective self defense - with proper bullet selection. Obviously given equal shot placement the 45 is a substantially more effective man stopper. Despite some voodoo theories there is no substitute for big deep holes and a .45 with the right hollow point round can drive a nearly 1" hole almost 15" deep. I see the 40 as a compromise caliber for those willing to trade a bit of effectiveness for larger magazine capacity. In the end it's all a matter of personal choice and the job intended. In your case a 9mm sounds like a good choice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love my 9 I also love the price of the ammo. You already have a .45 so I would get the 9.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...about that.

I was actually going to sell my Blackhawk to get a M&P. I'm completely against selling a gun for another gun, but the Blackhawk has no use to me.

I love the .45cal, but I'm not sure about it in a semi-auto. Price isn't a huge issue, since I will probably be handloading.

Has anyone here fired the M&P45 and also a .45colt revolver? I'm just looking for a comparison in recoil.

·
Registered
53 Posts
On cost of ammo alone, get the 9mm. Then you can shoot more with out buying into a reloading setup. If you want more stopping power for the house just get some good ammo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thread Jack...(sorry)

I hear a lot about ammo selection when it comes to using a 9mm for home defense. I just picked up a 9mm M&P and I'm planning on using GOLD DOT for home defence and Remington UMC for the range.

For those who know what's best, are these good ammo choices for the said purpose?

TIA,

Jason

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
jasonslc said:
For those who know what's best, are these good ammo choices for the said purpose?
That should be fine. I'd probably go with 124gr +P for defense or possibly 147gr. Either Gold Dot, or Ranger-T or Federal HST. All are good stuff. The only stats that I have handy right now are for the HSTs fired through simulated heavy clothing into ballistic gello.

Weight/Penetration/Expanded diameter

147 gr. / 13.75” / 0.689”

124 gr. / 12.0” / 0.709”

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
jasonslc said:
Thread Jack...(sorry)

I hear a lot about ammo selection when it comes to using a 9mm for home defense. I just picked up a 9mm M&P and I'm planning on using GOLD DOT for home defence and Remington UMC for the range.

TIA,

Jason
That's a whole different discussion in itself. Best to start a new thread, or do a search and see what has already been said about that topic.

But I'll still contribute my 2 cents :wink: ....by pointing you to THIS POST to get you started.

·
Registered
81 Posts
9mm

The key to a handgun being effective is shot placement. Buy the weapon you can afford to practice with. 9mm is cheaper and brass is easier to come by. In other words it is very cheap to reload.

So far as performance a good 9mm HP will perform with the 40 or 45 and provide higher capacity. The Winchester +p+ 127 and the Federal 115 +p+ are two street proven rounds. They work and have been proven to work many times over. There are other proven 9mm rounds, however in my opinion these are the most proven.

A lot is being said about the 147HST now, however I have only heard of rumors of how effective they are, no hard facts that I have seen. I personally would stay clear of the 147, I am not saying there are not some good 147. However, until they are proven were it matters on the street I don't trust my life to them.

I also find recoil to be less with 9mm even with the +p+ rounds. I have had a buddy slip a mag of +p+ in my bag at an IDPA match. I could not tell the difference. I have found two ways to test recoil.

The first is rapid fire, you would be amazed how you can tell a weapon will handle when dumping a 10 round mag as fast as possible at 5 yards. That is more than likely how a handgun will be deployed. The other way is to fire some shots support hand only. You can really gauge recoil, however it is a little misleading because it magnifies felt recoil.

Sorry, to ramble on!!

However, a 9mm is hard to beat. You will have some guys tell you that a 45 is better because it is .10 larger and may hit something a .355 diameter bullet will miss. However, you are giving up a lot to gain that .10 advantage. You have a lot more recoil, reduced capacity and the biggest thing in my opinion it cost more to practice.

Buy a 9mm practice cheap and often. Buy some high quality HP and you are way ahead of the average gun owner in America. Just due to the fact you practice more than 50 rounds a year!

Lastly, if you have the chance shot an IDPA match and learn everything you can. Trigger time is what matters, more than caliber.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Buy a 9mm practice cheap and often. Buy some high quality HP and you are way ahead of the average gun owner in America. Just due to the fact you practice more than 50 rounds a year!

Lastly, if you have the chance shot an IDPA match and learn everything you can. Trigger time is what matters, more than caliber.

That leads me to another point.

I have never shot IDPA, but would like so someday, and would probably like to use my M&P in it. You guys have nearly sold me on the 9mm. Would the 9mm be efficient for IDPA? Is the 4.25" barrel long enough? What is most commonly used in IDPA?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go with the 9mm.

It is cheaper to shoot and with the updated bullet design it is great for a protection round. I love my 40 but I am limited to 40 or 45 only.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
stg58fal said:
A lot is being said about the 147HST now, however I have only heard of rumors of how effective they are, no hard facts that I have seen. I personally would stay clear of the 147, I am not saying there are not some good 147. However, until they are proven were it matters on the street I don't trust my life to them.
San Diego PD, LAPD, LASD, and the RCMP would consider 147gr loads proven.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Bravo said:
The gun will be used for target shooting 99.999999999% of the time. I hope I never have to use it to defend myself, but I will probably also use it for home defense.

9mm that's a no brainer w/ the costs of ammo and for defense just get a good HP off of Doc's list like the Ranger-T and you're good to go.

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:

Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)

Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)

Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts