MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you sell handguns to someone else, what is required to make the sale legal? Does that person have to show you sometype of backround check (to make sure that person can legally own a firearm)? Or what do I need to do? The reason I ask is that I've found really good prices of some Sig pistols and I have some friends that want to purchase them. And yes, I have told them about the M&P and even offered to take them out shooting.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes, the key is the laws of your state...in this case it looks like Nevada for you...

the sale of ANY firearm to an individual from another state must be from a licensee

(this is commonly confused, people think it is ok for a private individual to sell a rifle to someone from another state...it ISNT..federal law dictates that only a licensee may do this)

For sales to residents of the SAME state though, its different....here in Virginia, for example, really all it takes is a handshake....(you cannot have knowledge that the person is otherwise disqualified, basically, from another state, a minor, or a felon...but you are under no affirmative duty to perform a background check to determine this)....

So, literally, at a gun show, I can walk in with a handgun, someone can walk up to me and offer me money, and off it goes....(I usually will, at the very least, ask to see a VA driver's license, but again, by VA law, I am under no obligation to do this)....if I did this very same thing in California though with a Cali resident I would be in deep, deep do-do....

another great resource is packing.org...it has a lot of the resources from the various states, Nevada included

1 - 4 of 4 Posts