MP-Pistol Forum banner

821 - 838 of 838 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am needing to find out when a M&P full-size, (4.25" bbl) pistol was manufactured that I am looking at purchasing.

The serial number is: DTD8XXX

Regards,
CAPPY88

·
Registered
1 Posts
Serial number help

i purchased my m&p 40 several years ago. i still have the original box and the numbers below SKU are 2079 date on fired casing in box is 3-21-2012. so all that said am i correct in reading the 2 in 2079 to be 2012 or 2002? just wanting to make sure. got a few questions but figured i needed to start with this info first

·
Registered
55 Posts
M&P9L CORE on box

M&P 9 PRO SERES (CORE is laser etched) on slide

ser# HUS91xx SKU#178058

Fired casing 3/11/2015

Trigger bar is H revision, slide stop is gen1

is this a 2015 manufacture? I bought it used this year

·
Registered
12 Posts
S/N =date

First i’d Suggest this subject be deleted,judging from the dates

But for those that might be interested I just bought my M&P 2.0 9mm 5” and the s/n begins with NCR XXXX AND the mfg date was 1-2019

·
Registered
103 Posts
M&P 2.0 .45acp full size (4.6" barrel), no thumb safety, standard sights
SN: NEB24XX
Cardboard box

·
Registered
402 Posts
The fired casing is State specific. I have never gotten an envelope with a fired case with any gun, any manufacturer, pistol or rifle.
I live in the wonderful state of Illinois.:no

The best way to date your S&W is to call them. Any CS agent will give you the build date from the serial number, you don't have to pay for an entire history especially on any M&P. I found this to be true with other manufacturers, some will tell you when it was built, left their plant and what distributor it went to.

Talking to S&W there is no rhyme or reason as to serial numbers and build dates. Someone in a suit decides they are going to make a run of 10,000 guns. They are going to make $100 off of each so 1 million dollars off of that production run. He puts people on it and they make sure they have all the parts they need to make 10,000. They do it and maybe the one thing they don't have is 10,000 cases. That's why some people get a black case, blue case or cardboard box.

As for the $100 profit on each, that is pretty correct give or take, the markup follows the chain. If they can dump 10,000 to a single distributor then they made a million bucks net, not bad for a day or two of production. The distributor marks them up a bunch, they go to gun shops that mark them up and by the time they get to you you are at MSRP. Basically how do think that Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore is selling the M&P40 M2.0 Compact 40 S&W Pistol with 3.6 Inch Barrel for $299.99 but the MSRP is $569?

Before I joined this forum I browsed this exact thread. I have plastic cases, cardboard boxes and polymer guns going back to a original Sigma. I decided to call S&W because I was having a hard time finding a Sigma extractor that was broken. A CS agent gave me the build date on every gun I have, including a 686 plus revolver and a M&P rifle. He also sent me a FedEx label, S&W fixed the Sigma and sent me a couple of extractors back with the fixed gun.

I am not going to post any serial numbers because while this thread is fun, you are not going to figure out a "born" date on your own. If you have the fired case you are going to be pretty close.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The fired casing is State specific. I have never gotten an envelope with a fired case with any gun, any manufacturer, pistol or rifle.

I live in the wonderful state of Illinois.:no

The best way to date your S&W is to call them. Any CS agent will give you the build date from the serial number, you don't have to pay for an entire history especially on any M&P. I found this to be true with other manufacturers, some will tell you when it was built, left their plant and what distributor it went to.

Talking to S&W there is no rhyme or reason as to serial numbers and build dates. Someone in a suit decides they are going to make a run of 10,000 guns. They are going to make $100 off of each so 1 million dollars off of that production run. He puts people on it and they make sure they have all the parts they need to make 10,000. They do it and maybe the one thing they don't have is 10,000 cases. That's why some people get a black case, blue case or cardboard box.

As for the $100 profit on each, that is pretty correct give or take, the markup follows the chain. If they can dump 10,000 to a single distributor then they made a million bucks net, not bad for a day or two of production. The distributor marks them up a bunch, they go to gun shops that mark them up and by the time they get to you you are at MSRP. Basically how do think that Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore is selling the M&P40 M2.0 Compact 40 S&W Pistol with 3.6 Inch Barrel for $299.99 but the MSRP is $569?

Before I joined this forum I browsed this exact thread. I have plastic cases, cardboard boxes and polymer guns going back to a original Sigma. I decided to call S&W because I was having a hard time finding a Sigma extractor that was broken. A CS agent gave me the build date on every gun I have, including a 686 plus revolver and a M&P rifle. He also sent me a FedEx label, S&W fixed the Sigma and sent me a couple of extractors back with the fixed gun.

I am not going to post any serial numbers because while this thread is fun, you are not going to figure out a "born" date on your own. If you have the fired case you are going to be pretty close.
They quit sending spent cases in 2014 or 2015, because it was a waste of money and solved zero crimes.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I believe you but Illinois was never one of the states that required it. If you read some of the posts people have spent cases up to 2015. (post #795-796)
Those people are from Texas. In Illinois I have never gotten a spent case going back to the late '70's regardless of the manufacturer. You name it and I probably have one or two in my safe (except Glock). I never got a spent case in an envelope.

I know the gun is taken out of the case to check the serial number against the paperwork a few times. The distributor checks them from the factory, the gun shop checks them from the distributor. I used a FFL and he always checked them when he received them before transfer. Basically your new gun has been handled a few times before you take it out of it's case.

None of my S&Ws ever came with a spent case, actually none of my guns came with a spent case. The one thing I do know is S&W can pull up the date of manufacture from the serial number. I also know that a long time ago you could date them from the sequential serial number but I don't think that has applied in quite a while. If you want to know when your gun was made you can call or Email S&W with your serial number.

I keep all of my paperwork in a safe deposit box, I do that because one of my friends was on vacation and he kept EVERYTHING in his gun safes. When they got back from vacation EVERYTHING was gone. I keep a cheat sheet with serial numbers where nobody could find it and if you did it's cryptic so you wouldn't even know what it is. When I was on the phone with a very bored S&W CS person I had that cheat sheet in front of me. He went into that part of their system and pulled up all of my build dates. They are on my cheat sheet now.

If you talk to Ruger they can pull up the same thing but are a little more chatty. "It was built on 9/1/2019 and then was sold to Sports South or Davidsons on 9/4/2019." The same applies to Taurus. While everybody busts on Taurus I bought a little 738 before the LCP2 came out, the original LCP had the worst trigger of any gun I ever felt. I needed a bug gun for the summer and the 738s slide wouldn't lock back with a mag in. I called them, they said it's probably your magazine, whats your serial number? I told them, they told me the brief history of it, when they made it and when it was sold to Sports South. They also said it's less then a year old and we will send you a new magazine. The following week there were two magazines in my mailbox. For all the Taurus haters that is still my bug gun that I throw in a pocket holster when its 90 out and I take the dog for a walk in shorts. I have had that gun for 4 or 5 years shoot 50 rounds of WWB through it a year along with some American Gunner XTPs. I never have had an issue.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My serial# MPM5XX3 Test fired 02/20/07 But I bought mine new in March of 07 can hardly believe its 12 years old now.:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently bought a used M&P9, #HNE87xx. The tag on the box has 052516 right above the model, caliber, and other info. No spent case envelope in the box.
Can I assume that May 25, 2016 is the mfg. date?
I also picked up a used M&P9c recently, it has the spent case in the box. Oddly enough, it is dated 05-25-2012. Same day and moth, just 4 years apart. Coincidence, or is May 25th just a special day at the plant?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently bought a used M&P9, #HNE87xx. The tag on the box has 052516 right above the model, caliber, and other info. No spent case envelope in the box.
Can I assume that May 25, 2016 is the mfg. date?
I also picked up a used M&P9c recently, it has the spent case in the box. Oddly enough, it is dated 05-25-2012. Same day and moth, just 4 years apart. Coincidence, or is May 25th just a special day at the plant?
Mine is HNE68xx. The # on the box is 052316. Not sure if that is a date or not.

821 - 838 of 838 Posts