MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how S&W assigns serial numbers?

Are blocks of numbers set aside for the various models?

Anyone have the code book?

No special reason for asking -- "curious minds want to know".

·
Registered
191 Posts
Generally they have SN that correspond to particular lines of guns. Like MPaxxxx for M&Ps, different ones for 3rd gen guns, different for L, X, J and N-frame wheel guns.

I have a copy of the 3rd Gen S&W gun catalog of all the model they have made and includes a list of SN and when it was made with in a year.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, Folks, but I'm still unclear as to how S&W assigns serial numbers to the various types of M&P's - probably because I didn't phrase the question clearly.

I am familiar with the stickey's - I have posted my two there and that's what got me to wondering how the numbers correspond to the various models of M&P's.

As an example, let's say S&W manufactures 500 9mm full sized pistols in a run - I assume these are assigned sequential serial numbers such as MPN1000 to say MPN1499, (just picking numbers).

They then manufacture 500 of the 9c's. Are the serial numbers simply continued - MPN1500 to MPN1999 ???

Or, on the other hand, if the next batch made after the first 500 9mm full sized happens to be .40c's would they get the numbers MPN1500 to MPN1999 and there be a gap in the sequence of S/N's for 9 full sized, until the next batch of 9 full sized are manufactured

I first thought that there is some method of assigning sequential or blocks of S/N's to certain caliber and size of pistol, but I can't really see a pattern from looking at the stickey posts.

Or am I incorrectly assuming that S&W makes various models in a production "run" or "batch"?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Never really thought about it, I'm thinking they probably run a batch and then give them all numbers in a series. It would be interesting to know but I don't know if they would release that info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts