MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to learn how to fix my own gun when no gunsmith or S&W armorer are near, and I need to have some key parts on hand. I'm pretty new to the gun and need some help. I found the parts link to Numrich's parts in another thread: that's a good start.
Q: What are the parts that need to be replaced most commonly for a Shield 1.0 that I need to have on hand to keep a gun running? How about a shop manual for the gun to go with the parts? Like most of us, I can do simple parts replacement tasks pretty well as long as I have the instructions, but don't try to make modifications or customizing.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got spares of pretty much everything except the slide and frame so I'm probably not one to ask :D

If you're mechanically inclined and good with your hands, you can do most work yourself. Getting the trigger group back in the block without a jig is a nightmare. I made one out of a piece of 1/8 in. metal rod from Home Depot.

The rest is no big deal. At least it isn't to me. Mine are 2.0s though that won't make any difference as far as difficulty.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hmm... Looking at that list and the suggested round count replacement periods, mine must be living on borrowed time. :)
Before the DemPanic/Pandemic, my Shield reached 34,000 rounds without anything needing replacement.

While the Slide Lock lever and RSA are probably the weakest links, one can live (literally) without the slide locking back after the last round and the RSA won't need work until you field strip the pistol for cleaning (no place for the parts to 'sproing' to while assembled). I have original Mag Springs (and followers) for 30 y/o Glocks that still function fine, as well as mag assemblies for a 1944 P38. Granted... The P38 only gets shot annually.

Unless one gets sloppy with the cleaning solvents and oils, gunking up the Striker chamber, the striker chamber and striker assembly should stay pretty clean for quite a while. I did check my striker chamber @ 25K rounds and found no fouling. The Q-Tip came back nearly dirt free. So, if a striker assembly NEEDS regular attention, the owner may need to reassess their cleaning technique (or the quality of their ammo/gunpowder).

The only thing from that list you MAY need before trading/selling your Shield (most trade/upgrade before they need replacement parts) might be the RSA, but a simple call to S&W CS will get you a free replacement within a week (normally). In the event of a National Attack/Zombie Apocalypse/Nuclear Winter, most everyone will run out of ammo before breaking their firearms.
(Of course... Mileage and Opinions will vary) :D

·
Registered
715 Posts

·
Registered
S&W + H&K
103 Posts
These threads are great
Love how some claim to have shot $25,000+ worth of ammo threw a $250 handgun with zero failures
With that kind of disposable income a guy would have a hundred of the same gun & just throw away the ones that don't work BUT in the real world most folks are anal about maintenance & cleaning
My Shield 2.0 has broken nothing YET!! BUT Things can go south FAST
The buying of a 2nd clone gun is a good idea BTW
That's what I did with my Heckler & Kochs
Brown Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts