MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here. Glad to be a member and looking forward to learning from all of you experts!

So....as a new owner of a 2.0 in .45acp, I'm looking at what I should upgrade on this fine weapon. The basic gun is great, but would like to "trick in out".

What upgrades would you recommend and which vendors/makers would you suggest?

This pistol is going to be my concealed carry gun.

Thanks so much!

Best,

Greg

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have two Shield 45s 2.0. One with a laser and one a PC.

I personally see no need for any changes to the guns except more magazines.

I carry one or the other of the two almost every day. Sometimes they are primary and sometimes they are a pocket backup.

Exceptional guns and you made a great choice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
8 rd hyve extension on 7 rd mags is only mod I did to mine that and selling the imo useless 6 rd mag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
I upgraded the sights to TFO's, that's all I felt like was needed. Keep it basic and reliable.
The Shield .45s are awesome as is.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Send it to ATEi and have it fixed.
Their action job in my opinion is better than Apex, have them finish the half ass stipple job done at the factory, under cut the trigger guard, cut the slide for an optic unless its a pocket gun, in that case add night sights (Trijicon or mepro light) serrate the top of the frame. Once it comes back add a light and that should be enough to get you started.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Send it to ATEi and have it fixed.
Their action job in my opinion is better than Apex, have them finish the half ass stipple job done at the factory, under cut the trigger guard, cut the slide for an optic unless its a pocket gun, in that case add night sights (Trijicon or mepro light) serrate the top of the frame. Once it comes back add a light and that should be enough to get you started.
What’s all that ( minus milling the slide) gonna cost?

·
Registered
438 Posts
What’s all that ( minus milling the slide) gonna cost?
$300 to $400

The action job is $75.00, stippling depends on what (how much) they have to do, since the factory did half the job I wouldn't think it would be more than $100 to finish, sights are different costs (buy and send your own if you want) I think they charge $25.00 to install.

I'm guessing at the prices as I haven't been to their shop since this China virus started but they have all of them listed on their web site, its all a la carte pricing. You probably have to call for the stipple price since its not a complete job.

Milling is also priced on what is done.

Since you aren't local add shipping costs, they might have deals for that? I'm local so I've never used shipping.

ateiguns.com is their site, they are located in Taylor MI.
They also have social media accounts, but I have no info on that since I don't use it.

They were the first to mill serrations in the top of the M&P slide, they designed and built the Chris Costa M&P, they produce the Roland Special Glock that other shops copy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I put in an Apex trigger and sear. Then I had the slide cut for a micro red dot and put on a Hoosun 507K. Now it’s perfect.....for me. The pic is with a JPoint circle dot sight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi all, first post here. Glad to be a member and looking forward to learning from all of you experts!

So....as a new owner of a 2.0 in .45acp, I'm looking at what I should upgrade on this fine weapon. The basic gun is great, but would like to "trick in out".

What upgrades would you recommend and which vendors/makers would you suggest?

This pistol is going to be my concealed carry gun.

Thanks so much!

Best,

Greg
Greg...looks like I'm late to the party on this one but here goes anyhow...I installed an Apex trigger on a M&P 9 Compact (V1.0) but never could get the gun timed correctly (it required tweaking of the trigger bar loop). I gave up which is something I NEVER do and went back to S&W trigger. I also have the Shields in all three calibers, 9mm (v1.0), 40 S&W (v1.0) and 45ACP (v2.0 only). I installed the Hyve Technologies 'Monarch' trigger on the 40 S&W first and liked it so much I spent the bucks and installed 'Monarchs' on the 9 and 45. No regrets, these are really sweet triggers, highly recommended. I know it's anathema to say anything negative about Apex, but I had nothing but issues with that trigger in that gun.

I've added Magguts +1 magazine springs and followers bumping up capacity. I carry the 9mm as a 10+1 which is decent for a single stack with the 40 and 45 as 7+1's. I also installed Hogue's Ruger Security Nine Compact grip sleeves on all three. These sleeves fit perfectly but the Hogue sleeve advertised for the Shield is a freakin' joke. Not recommended. I own many hand guns and find myself grabbing a Shield before any other for carrying.

Top left: 45 with FDE grip sleeve; Top Right: 40 S&W with Green grip sleeve; Bottom: 9mm with Black grip sleeve;
all three with Hyve "Monarch" triggers. My choice of colors purely arbitrary, both Hyve and Hogue have a wide selection of colors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 7 M&P's (at the moment) but I only felt it necessary to modify my Shield 45, the rest are mostly stock. The 45 got a LaserMax on the trigger guard bow, and it hasn't moved a whisker in three or four years. The only other upgrades I've done are putting Tru-Glo light pipes on a couple, replacing the older night-sights they wore.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The OP said in his third sentence, " the basic gun is great". Resist the urge to "trick it out".
I haven't yet seen a .45 Shield that didn't have a nice trigger pull. The factory 3 dot sights could use some improvement though.
I too have changed out my factory 3 dot sights to Tru-Glo TFOs, and like pappajohn, just ordered a Lasermax uniit, this one a 100 lumen "minty green" light with green laser and Grip Sense activator, and a Gunner Custom holster for the pistol/Lasermax combo.
It is a pretty compact unit for what you get:
The .45 Shield is my workhorse pistol, I have a half dozen handguns but my .45 Shield is usually the one I grab.
Wilderness hikes, camping in the mountains, snake duty in the low desert, and also my preferred nightstand gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts