MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several 40 S&W pistols and all have 9 mm and 357 Sig barrels.and the Shield 40 is soon to have one.

Already have the 9mm barrel and mags for the Shield 40.

Although I have ample ammo for all of my calibers I can find 40 S&W and 357 Sig rather easily. Just gotta pay a bit higher than used to.

Do any of you carry 357 Sig in your Shield 40 and how does it shoot. Most of the reviews that I have seen have been favorable but there is a report of kabooms. I never had any problems with my other guns except the gluck 27 I should never have purchased......stays broke...horrible piece of crap I doubt it would work as a paper weight lol..

Barrel coming from TR-Enabling (Remsport) and I already have a couple of their products with no problems.

Good to have backup calibers for the same platform.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got one in my Shield 40. I only have one box of ammo through it. So far it's fed reliably. I have yet to put defensive ammo through it. It is a bit snappy but I expected that. I'm liking it so far. Need to get more round through it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have several 40 S&W pistols and all have 9 mm and 357 Sig barrels.and the Shield 40 is soon to have one.

Already have the 9mm barrel and mags for the Shield 40.

Although I have ample ammo for all of my calibers I can find 40 S&W and 357 Sig rather easily. Just gotta pay a bit higher than used to.

Do any of you carry 357 Sig in your Shield 40 and how does it shoot. Most of the reviews that I have seen have been favorable but there is a report of kabooms. I never had any problems with my other guns except the gluck 27 I should never have purchased......stays broke...horrible piece of crap I doubt it would work as a paper weight lo

Barrel coming from TR-Enabling (Remsport) and I already have a couple of their products with no problems.

Good to have backup calibers for the same platform.

I bought a Remsport 357 SIG barrel for my 40 Shield. Only fired a few mags of Georgia Arms FMJ ammo through it. IMO, the recoil was more than snappy. I will be putting my barrel up for sale soon, as I have moved on to a different single stack gun. Also, I would like to know more about these reported kabooms. I know there have been many in Glocks, but I have not heard about this in any M&Ps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a Remsport 357 SIG barrel for my 40 Shield. Only fired a few mags of Georgia Arms FMJ ammo through it. IMO, the recoil was more than snappy. I will be putting my barrel up for sale soon, as I have moved on to a different single stack gun. Also, I would like to know more about these reported kabooms. I know there have been many in Glocks, but I have not heard about this in any M&Ps.
I forget the various forums I saw the kaboom problems. I do not know which barrel or which gun model. Do a google on the conversion. I remember that it seemed to be with inexperienced shooter, but I can not prove that.

I like 357 Sig and in my FNS 40 and FNX 40. My Gluck 27 (you can tell I do not like a gluck) had problems with 40 and I could not get through a mag of 357 Sig without FTE or FTF. I changed many parts (RSA, ejector. extractor and firing pin assembly) to get 9mm to fire reliable. I will not carry the gun...ever.

I do like the idea of "three" guns in one. And ammo for 40 and 357 sig seems fairly easy to get even in the shortage if you search many, many sites.. I have 1,000 rounds of each that should be delivered this week

Also, I have 24 handguns of various calibers and I shoot approx 10,000 rounds a year. Dang I should have taken up reloading....aaarrrggghh!

Thanks for the replies folks I am looking forward to getting the barrel. Will update later.

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
II will do a search on that subject. Also, I am surprised you are having so much trouble with the Glock 27. I bought one as soon as they came out and never had a failure to feed. Also, I traded it to my son and ordered a new KKM 357 SIG barrel for it as the Fire Dragon 357 barrel I had been carrying was poorly made. It functioned fine, but did not allow the slide to go completely into battery. That always bothered me so I bought the KKM barrel. The KKM dropped in and has functioned 100% for my son. The Shield is a smaller and lighter gun than the G27. I knew the recoil from the Remsport barreled Shield would be intense, I just did not know how much difference there would be. Even though my Remsport threaded 357 SIG barrel is about the same length as a G27 barrel, the lighter weight and narrower frame made a big difference to me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
II will do a search on that subject. Also, I am surprised you are having so much trouble with the Glock 27. I bought one as soon as they came out and never had a failure to feed. Also, I traded it to my son and ordered a new KKM 357 SIG barrel for it as the Fire Dragon 357 barrel I had been carrying was poorly made. It functioned fine, but did not allow the slide to go completely into battery. That always bothered me so I bought the KKM barrel. The KKM dropped in and has functioned 100% for my son. The Shield is a smaller and lighter gun than the G27. I knew the recoil from the Remsport barreled Shield would be intense, I just did not know how much difference there would be. Even though my Remsport threaded 357 SIG barrel is about the same length as a G27 barrel, the lighter weight and narrower frame made a big difference to me.
Initially I did like the G27 and I am a 40 S&W nut. The gun was a good shooter for accuracy and recoil. then became a nightmare. Kinda soured me on Glucks. I even looked into I even researched glock 10 mm after I tried one at a range and liked it. I do appreciate the g27 for the experience it gave me in fixing a semi. Learned a lot.

I am not necessarily recoil shy even though I am old. I do put recoil reducing grips on my 357 magnums.....especially snub nose revolvers.

I trust TR-Enabling as I have several of their barrels and all have worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check out my reloading bench ya'all, had it since 1980, I've reloaded 1000's of everything, from 30.06, on down to...
But I never reloaded for my .357 Sig...something to do with such a short case neck letting go and allowing the bullet to drop into the cartridge case upon firing.

...and we all know that chamber pressures SKYROCKET when that happens!

+_(pg{HP
gO;E

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry about that one folks, finally got tired of my PC keyboard and broke the dang thing over my kneecap. I'll get back to you.:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neal,

Thank You. Your post gave me the impetus to retry 357 Sig in my G 27. I had not fired it in a little over a year.
Shot 50 rounds of Fiocchi 124 gr flat nose. Shot flawlessy. At 10 yards I am normally eating up the 10 spot. However my first few rounds were right (I am left handed) 4-5 inches. Been shooting revolvers a lot lately. Had to reacquaint myself with the sights.

Now I need to shoot many, many rounds of 357 and 40 and 9mm to prove it works without a hitch. If it does, it will go in my car a a console gun and I will take the Bersa 9mm out and put it in a shed.

Do not know why I was having problems and decided to retire it.

Nah, I am not going to get the idea to carry it, I have too many other guns that have never had failures after thousands of rounds.

Thanks again! .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Neal,

Thank You. Your post gave me the impetus to retry 357 Sig in my G 27. I had not fired it in a little over a year.
Shot 50 rounds of Fiocchi 124 gr flat nose. Shot flawlessy. At 10 yards I am normally eating up the 10 spot. However my first few rounds were right (I am left handed) 4-5 inches. Been shooting revolvers a lot lately. Had to reacquaint myself with the sights.

Now I need to shoot many, many rounds of 357 and 40 and 9mm to prove it works without a hitch. If it does, it will go in my car a a console gun and I will take the Bersa 9mm out and put it in a shed.

Do not know why I was having problems and decided to retire it.

Nah, I am not going to get the idea to carry it, I have too many other guns that have never had failures after thousands of rounds.

Thanks again! .
What make of 357 SIG barrel do you have in your Glock 27?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What make of 357 SIG barrel do you have in your Glock 27?
Not totally sure at this point. I am thinking EFK fire dragon or Lone Wolf, but I only have the symbol on the side of the barrel and can find nothing that identifies it. Been several years.

Sorry I can not help! It seems to work well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
OOOOOPPPSSS just found it.

Storm Lake!
OK thanks. I have owned a bunch of aftermarket barrels, and the only one I had to send back
because it would not feed was my first EGK Fire Dragon. They replaced it, and the second barrel fed but it never fit right. That is one brand I would never buy again. Have had 5 KKMs and never the first problem with any of them. Never owned a Storm Lake. Currently have a KKM 4.5" 357 SIG barrel in my 4.25" slide that is pictured in my avatar. It's a full size top end on a compact frame.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BTW, The best barrels ever made for handguns are those from BAR-STO IMHO.. and I'm rarely humble.:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a unfired Storm Lake 357 Sig barrel for my 3.6" M&P40C (Virus Virus Virus) is my excuse. I have a XD357 and a G-33 that were born as 357 Sig's, love shooting both, never a problem, often carry the G-33. I have not shot my mod 1 Shield 40 much, but like it fine. in addition to the three mentioned I have a Storm Lake barrel for my XD40 Mod 2, 4" and I have about 700 rounds plus thru it.
I will leave my Shield a 40, four 357 Sigs work for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my Remsport 357 Sig barrel for the Shield 40 yesterday. Fit just fine.

Dry cycled a few rounds through it this am.

Hope to shoot some this afternoon, but got to pick up some debris and put the yard back together after this Isaias crap went west of us.

Will let you know rhe results.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, please do. I would like to know your thought about the 357 SIG in the Shield.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, please do. I would like to know your thought about the 357 SIG in the Shield.
Put 27 rounds of Lawman 125 gr through it this afternoon. Did not shoot more because it was hot as hades today after Isaias.

Gun functioned flawlessly. Had not shot the 40 Shield in a while and first 3 shots were 3-4 inches low. Forgot that this gun needs a 6:eek:o hold. The rest of the shots were wTrhin 3 inches of dead center. IMHO, recoil was less than the 9mm I shoot in it.

I am going to put quite a few more rounds through it to see if it "breaks".

I am pleased. This will be a good caliber to shoot on my range.

Barrel worked great. I do like the accuracy I can get out of the three 40s I have that can be converted to 357 Sig.

Oh, Remsport gave me a 20.00 discount because I am a veteran. Even called me up to let me know about the discount.Great folks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Put 27 rounds of Lawman 125 gr through it this afternoon. Did not shoot more because it was hot as hades today after Isaias.

Gun functioned flawlessly. Had not shot the 40 Shield in a while and first 3 shots were 3-4 inches low. Forgot that this gun needs a 6:eek:o hold. The rest of the shots were wTrhin 3 inches of dead center. IMHO, recoil was less than the 9mm I shoot in it.

I am going to put quite a few more rounds through it to see if it "breaks".

I am pleased. This will be a good caliber to shoot on my range.

Barrel worked great. I do like the accuracy I can get out of the three 40s I have that can be converted to 357 Sig.

Oh, Remsport gave me a 20.00 discount because I am a veteran. Even called me up to let me know about the discount.Great folks.
Sounds like you are happy with it. I fired my Remsport 357 barrel only 1 session from a
bench rest and IMO it pounded the hell out of the web of my right hand. Maybe
shooting freehand would have been less punishing. At what range where you shooting?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts