MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got me a new Shield 45. I'm cleaning the packing oil off amd when taking the barrel out of the slide the chamber area is very tight against the slide. I can remove the barrel from the slide but Ive never had a pistol barrel this tight to remove. I'll post some pictures below . The squared portion of the barrel against the slides rails is very tight. Do any of you 45 owners have this same thing ?
20200606_084505.jpg
20200606_084514.jpg
Screenshot_20200606-111445_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't have a Shield 45. Chiming in to see what others may have to say. Does it talk about this in the manual?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing about the tightness is mentioned in the manual. I've field stripped it , cleaned it and put it back together but it's really tight in the barrel chamber to slide rail area .

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It kinda seems like SW used the 9mm and 40 slide and just made the hole for the muzzle bigger to accept the 45 barrel . I'm sure this isn't the case but it's the best way to describe the situation. I went in my backyard and test fired it. It ran great .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had M&P 9 2.0 for a couple yrs now and also noticed that when it was brand new that turning the barrel in the slide it would lock in also. I don't notice that happening much any more after over a thousand rounds thru it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No its not the barrel portion , it's the chamber , breech or "squared portion " of the barrel that is tight against the slide's rails when taking it out and in. There's almost no room for error it's so tight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like to put a thin coating of oil around the barrel, chamber sides, lug, hood, and on the insides of my .40 Shield slide with a Q-TIP after each cleaning.

I would agree with Rick M on post #7, just lube it lightly and it should work itself in nicely.

Is it functioning correctly?

Don't fix it!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have two M&P9 2.0s and the barrel hoods have to be carefully aligned when reinstalling the barrels into the slides. Otherwise they stick and have to be jarred loose. It seems to be typical.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No offense but I dont think you guys know what I am talking about. It has nothing to do with the long part of the barrel. Only the squared chamber area. When the slide is off and laying upside down , when I lay the squared off portion of the barrel (the chamber area) into the slide , this squared portion wil barley fit into the slide. It rubs very tightly against both sides of the slide.

·
Registered
444 Posts
No offense but I dont think you guys know what I am talking about. It has nothing to do with the long part of the barrel. Only the squared chamber area. When the slide is off and laying upside down , when I lay the squared off portion of the barrel (the chamber area) into the slide , this squared portion wil barley fit into the slide. It rubs very tightly against both sides of the slide.
Post 11 is saying the same thing you are.
I believe his description is using the proper words "barrel hood", but you are both talking about the same thing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Post 11 is saying the same thing you are.
I believe his description is using the proper words "barrel hood", but you are both talking about the same thing.
Ok I went back and read it again. I think we now are on the right track LOL . Seriously though , I have never had a gun with this kind if tightness. My other M&P's are normal and have plenty of wiggle room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts