MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read and asked about this a lot. I never get a concrete answer on this. What are the scallopped shaped marks under the slide on the area that scoops up the cartridges from the magazine ? I have heard that they scrape the cartridges rearward to keeps them properly seated in the magazine until ready to be fed into the chamber . Is this correct or is there a different purpose ? I ask because I have different guns and none have these marks in the same area. All mine are slick and machined very fine. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is just total conjecture, but if you load a magazine with rounds in it. And you’ll notice it’s “tougher” to rack the slide.

But if the magazine was empty the slide racks much easier.

I think it’s there to slow the velocity of the slide when picking up a fresh round out of the magazine.

Most 230 gr 45 ACP is easily below 1000 ft/sec. I think if the grooves don’t slow down the slide. It’ll outrun the magazine and won’t reliably pick up a fresh round.

“45 ACP 1911” problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Mine is a very early one, and is the only M&P of any model I own with those cuts in the underside of the slide. It’s never malfunctioned, so I don’t worry about it.

vietsofine’s reasoning about slowing the slide velocity sounds as good as anything else I’ve heard, though it seems to me that it would effect rearward slide velocity. The round is stripped from the mag for feeding by the front of the slide bottom; ahead of the “cuts.”

·
Registered
53 Posts
I called Smith about the same issue. The guy told me if I sent it in all they would do is grind it off and send it back. He said it was a machine error and had been corrected. He said some got out and some were caught. Go figure. I polished mine and it runs fine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Smith about the same issue. The guy told me if I sent it in all they would do is grind it off and send it back. He said it was a machine error and had been corrected. He said some got out and some were caught. Go figure. I polished mine and it runs fine.
Are you serious? They said it was a machine error ?????

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have read and asked about this a lot. I never get a concrete answer on this. What are the scallopped shaped marks under the slide on the area that scoops up the cartridges from the magazine ? I have heard that they scrape the cartridges rearward to keeps them properly seated in the magazine until ready to be fed into the chamber . Is this correct or is there a different purpose ? I ask because I have different guns and none have these marks in the same area. All mine are slick and machined very fine. Any help is appreciated.
From the M&P armorers course, If I remember correctly, (could be wrong... been a long day)... You are correct, the scallops help push the next round in the magazine rearward to keep it seated properly in the magazine to increasing feeding reliability. These machined scallops are only on the .45 acp Shield.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
From the M&P armorers course, If I remember correctly, (could be wrong... been a long day)... You are correct, the scallops help push the next round in the magazine rearward to keep it seated properly in the magazine to increasing feeding reliability. These machined scallops are only on the .45 acp Shield.
That makes more sense than a blatantly obvious “machining error.”

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is what S&W sent me :
Dear Customer,
It is designed like that to help feed the round into the chamber.
Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.
Regards, Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts