MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High all. First post but have been reading for a while and have learned much as a result - thank you.

I recently picked up a Shield 40 along with 4 additional 7 rnd mags. I've had one range session to get the feel and really like it, especially it's EDC qualities which is why I bought it.

Question is, does anyone make an extended single stack magazine for range work with the Shield? Needless to say, at least to me, it would be nice to have say another 5 rounds in a mag for the range. I do count the shots subconsciously and yes this is better for "real life" but for practice would be nice to have more rounds.

If I've missed this previously my apologies but any help/suggestions is appreciated.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I haven't seen an aftermarket mag for any of the M&P pistols yet. Look at it as an excuse to practice your reloads more often.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on finding an M&P Shield.

In deference to what the internet experts may tell you, there are "high capacity" (as in 30 round) extended magazines for the double stack M&P9 and 40. Unfortunately, since "high capacity" mags are not in high demand on the Shield, you're not likely to see anyone investing the tens of thousands of dollars building and marketing one either.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Welcome from Ohio :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I have been thinking and thank goodness for UpLULA.

·
Registered
377 Posts
In deference to what the internet experts may tell you, there are "high capacity" (as in 30 round) extended magazines for the double stack M&P9 and 40.
Do you have a link to an aftermarket m&p mag? All I have seen are mag extensions for the factory mags.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Welcome from Texas! I had the same problem. One of the indoor ranges that I shoot at charges by the hour (as in $14.00/hour)and I wanted higher capacity mags for my Shields so that I could spend more time shooting and less time reloading. I looked far and near and all over the internet. I don't think that they make them. I wound up buying some more of the 8 round mags for my Shield 9's and the 7 rounders for my Shield 40 along with an Uplula loader.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't seen any extended magazines for the Shield either. But I haven't been looking very hard.

I pay $15.00 for a day pass at our range. I only load 7 to 10 rounds in my M&P fullsize pistol. Extends my shooting sessions and I practice reloads.

Plus, my Shield feels nicely balanced with the standard mags and I don't want to change that when practicing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did purchase additional mags at G&R Tactical. As of today they have both 9 & 40 mags available for $32.

·
Registered
7 Posts
$14 per hour? I pay $50 per year!
wow, congratulations on that. My local range is $12/half hour and $18/hour. Full year memberships start around $300 I believe. I think you may have the exception instead of the rule. And in New York of all places.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The $50 a year is for the indoor range that I can see from my office with 24/7 key card access. The outdoor only range 20 min away is $75 a year if you volunteer 5 hours for maintenance or $125 if you are lazy. The other club that is indoor and outdoor and 20 min in the other direction is $125 for outdoor plus $41 for indoor but their facilities are nice enough to justify the premium price. So for $300 a year I am getting 2 indoor pistol ranges, plus several outdoor pistol, rifle and shotgun options. There are a few other clubs in the area, also in the same price range, that I don't belong to. This is western NY obviously, nowhere near Bloomberg's hell hole. I am quite surprised at what you guys are paying, especially per hour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah it's unfortunate. I have some family that own acreage in Indiana but that's about an hour or so so it becomes a matter of convenience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Got two of those in the other day. Ran 30 through each to check em out. Worked great, no issues, stiff spring, super tight fit, required a bit of a "rap" to lock in. Ran them straight out of the package. Cleaned and oiled after that first run to eliminate manufacturing debris.

Ebay roughly 35 bucks each...
CTD 18 bucks each plus 3.25 to ship so 21.25ea....happyhappy

Love em...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've got one of the 10 round Promags as well.
the only time my shield doesn't "seat correctly is when I use this mag. I just tap the slide
and I'm good to go. fun for the range but I would never carry it

·
Registered
131 Posts
High all. First post but have been reading for a while and have learned much as a result - thank you.

I recently picked up a Shield 40 along with 4 additional 7 rnd mags. I've had one range session to get the feel and really like it, especially it's EDC qualities which is why I bought it.

Question is, does anyone make an extended single stack magazine for range work with the Shield? Needless to say, at least to me, it would be nice to have say another 5 rounds in a mag for the range. I do count the shots subconsciously and yes this is better for "real life" but for practice would be nice to have more rounds.

If I've missed this previously my apologies but any help/suggestions is appreciated.
Welcome from the Pacific NW. This is a nice place with good folks and great info.
As to your question: 1. A previous poster included a link for a 10 round mag from PROMAG, however the link is for a 9mm, if you root around that site you will also see the .40cal, however, the Promag mags get some bad press from forums as unreliable. I would stick with the OEM mags. You can go through a shocking amount of ammo in a big hurry with just 6 mags. The benefit is reliability and a few minutes for the barrel to cool every once in awhile . good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got one of the 10 round Promags as well.
the only time my shield doesn't "seat correctly is when I use this mag. I just tap the slide
and I'm good to go. fun for the range but I would never carry it
Would you trust it as a back up? One or two 10 round backups along with the original 7+1 in the gun. That is a lot of fire power in a small package. You would have to carry a full size pistol (Really hard to conceal) with a full size backup mag to equal it. When people like to talk capacity you have it with the smaller gun with backpu mags. Some will say they don't want to do a mag change but doing a mag change is part of using a pistol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts