MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my wife the new shield 2 “ez” for everyday carry. As described she can load, rack, and shoot gun with no issues....but the darn thing ejects a live round with the spent casing every other shot and somtimes flies out on ground or gets stuck in slide. I’ve tried four different kinds of ammo with same results... anyone else have this gun/ issue??:😭

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Bought my wife the new shield 2 “ez” for everyday carry. As described she can load, rack, and shoot gun with no issues....but the darn thing ejects a live round with the spent casing every other shot and somtimes flies out on ground or gets stuck in slide. I’ve tried four different kinds of ammo with same results... anyone else have this gun/ issue??:😭
Yep, as Robbins said, call them an gitter back to the S&W mothership ASAP...!
Sounds like a recoil spring assembly issue. Did you clean the gun internally real good before you shot it...?

Might suggest lubing the RSA with DRI-LUBE. Spray it with a good amount. Let it dry couple minutes.
Follow your operators manual for disassembly & re-assembly. Pay attention to how the RSA is installed.

What 4 choices of ammo were you using (???)

·
Registered
673 Posts
If it's ejecting 2 rounds (spent case AND live round) in the same slide cycle, it might be a mag issue, as well as a RSA assembly issue.

It sounds like the live round is not getting fed into the chamber (too much nose up?) and heading out the ejection port with the spent round. If the Mag Lips aren't right, this could cause the miss-feed of the live round. If the slide timing is too slow (RSA not strong enough), this could attribute to the live round heading out the port, rather than into the chamber.

Either way, a call to S&W CS would be in order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i cleaned and oiled before she shot this passed wknd. I to think the recoil spring assembly is either to weak or has some malfunction, but i guess ill have to make a phone call to customer service this aftn..sad its an awesome gun for her if not for this glitch..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Me Too!

I had a range day yesterday where I put about a 100 rounds through my brand new 380EZ and had the same issue...3x. In all three cases, the pistol would eject the spent round, eject the next live round, and then stove pipe the next round. I was shooting the standard Winchester white box ammo.

Additionally, the slide did not set in the "back" position after the last round on two occasions. Did anyone hear from S&W yet? I wonder what they are saying about this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got the 380ez and am having the same problem. I had it eject a spent case and a live round 3-4 times out of 100. Every time was the last round in the magazine. It occurred with both magazines.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I just got the 380ez and am having the same problem. I had it eject a spent case and a live round 3-4 times out of 100. Every time was the last round in the magazine. It occurred with both magazines.
That sounds like a definite magazine issue to me; most likely fixed by a follower design change, or a stronger mag spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Shield 380EZ that occasionally ejects live rounds. Sometimes they eject clear - sometimes they stovepipe with bullet facing up. SW wants me to send gun in. Has anyone who has had this issue sent theirs in and received it back? Now fixed? Cause?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is at S&W now and I'm waiting to hear from them. When I hear something I'll post what they say the fix is. I'll ask them to replace the spring in the thumb safety as well per the consumer advisory / recall. With any first production run you can expect some hiccups. As a rule I usually avoid first production runs and wait a few years to see how the design will evolve but, this design is perfect for my wife so I couldn't resist. I think if we're patient, it'll work out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took the 380EZ and 200 rds to the range today. I stopped at 50 rds because I had another 2 live rounds eject.

I guess that I will be calling s&w

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It is the extractor claw that establishes control of the rising cartridge in the magazine; the claw has to reliably engage into the cartridge "lip" and stabilize it as the slide pawl drives the cartridge forward to be chambered. The extractor claw relinquishes control of the cartridge as it is inserted securely into the chamber; the laterally displaced spring-loaded extractor claw is dutifully standing by for the moment the fired cartridge needs to be re-engaged and extracted from the chamber, then pulled rearward by the extractor claw until the left side of the empty cartridge is impaled by the ejector, that well, ejects the cartridge clear of the breech. It sounds to me as though the magazines are just fine driving the live round upward, whereas the extractor claw is taking a momentary nap allowing a live cartridge to be ejected without the use of the ejector. A timing issue or a claw engagement issue. As illustrated below, the factory spec for the M&P is a difference of 5/ 10,000 of an inch ! Not surprising some might
skip by quality control. The obvious alternative view is that ammunition that has cartridges with a relatively wide variance in their cartridge lip dimensions might NOT be engaged by an extractor that is perfectly within factory specifications. Just sayin'.

The photos illustrate the M&P9, NOT the EZ 380, but virtually all semi-auto extractors need to function similarly. One would need to
have a factory Go-No Go extractor gauge and determine if there is an an "adjustment pad" as there is on the M&P's to tune the extractor.

Caution: Pseudo-science and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
New guy here. My 82 year old mother bought an EZ last week and we took her and it to the range yesterday.

She had the same issue with double ejections as others have mentioned. It occurred with both magazines.

I’ll be following this thread for more info before I call S&W for help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have received a shipping label from SW to send EZ in to resolve the issue of ejecting live rounds but have not sent it back yet. Yesterday I put another 200rds thru it and didn't have a single issue. Same ammo, same shooter and didn't clean it before taking it out yesterday. I'm hesitant to send it in for 3 failures out of 400+rds without a clear indication of problem or solution on a brand new design. I think I'll wait to see what others find out about same issue. This EZ is perfect for my wife for night stand gun so 3 failures still 3 too many.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will be following this thread for sure, this is one of the guns I was looking at getting for my 77 yo mom. But unless they resolve this issue it's a no go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased the Smith and Wesson 380 Shield EZ this past Saturday. Shot for first time today. Casing failed to eject on 4th bullet fired. I am use to firing a revolver and this is my first semi automatic so I did not know what was going on. Employee at shooting range got it unjammed for me. It continued doing this every couple of bullets. Called Smith and Wesson when I got home and will be shipping back to them tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts