MP-Pistol Forum banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
With my wife's 380 ez I bought new 2 weeks ago. I had 4 Last round ive ejections in the first 50 with sig ammo.

In the next 200 with a mix of Winchester, blazer brass and other hodgepodge ammo. Not one malfunction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Possibly. I've thrown 4 different kinds of ball ammo and Hornady CD and Federal HSTs through the one I bought my dad and it hasn't had a single hiccup.
I had problems with sig ammo. All others have been good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mr. W

I finally got to the range last weekend. I shot about 80 rounds through it with only loading 2 rounds in the mag. I did not have any issues. I still am going to fire more before I completely say that the springs fixed it.

I'm having another issue of it shooting left. 6" left at 7 yards. To make sure it's not just me I also had a RO who is also a local sheriff and a coworker who shoots competitions on the weekends shoot it. They both had the same results as I.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still Hasn't Been Fixed

Adding my experience as others have done. I have a new Performance Center version of the 380 EZ just purchased last month. Has the springs with the yellow paint, and also has the last-round-stovepipe issue.

I sent a message to S&W describing the problem and asking for replacement springs. In return I received a very vague cookie-cutter response telling me to send the gun back to them.

There was nothing in their response which indicated that they had even read and understood what the problem was, and based on the experiences that other people here have reported I'm not optimistic about going through the return process.

Shameful that this has been going on for almost two years, still occurring on new ones, and seemingly still not being addressed in a motivated and robust way by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my shield 2.0 in December with their sale. With the holidays I hadn't had time to take it to the range until mid February.

The first time I pulled the trigger it just wouldn't shoot. Nothing happened. No click. Like I'd pulled the trigger without engaging the grip safety (but I definitely had)

I took the magazine out and ejected the chambered round. Tried again . It fired. Shot again, it stovepiped. It was non stop jamming or straight up not firing. Had the range master check it out to get his opinion. He was stumped.

Sent it in with a "too long didn't read" bullet point list at the tip followed with a very detailed summary of the problems I was having. Several weeks later I got it back. The note just said "trigger repaired"

I have no idea what that means. When I asked for more detail they said they wouldn't say. I haven't been able to test it since I got it back with the quarantine going on. But I told them when I eventually get to. Whether it's in a week or 3 months, if it doesn't work I'm returning it for a full refund and that this is ridiculous. This was supposed to be a carry gun and so far it's completely unreliable. Out of the box never used and it needs repairing?

I'll update as soon as I'm able to test it.

If I do end up needing to return it can anyone recommend a good carry gun? Preferably something my wife could also comfortably shoot if she had to (which is why I picked this piece of junk). But can fit in my bigger mitts comfortably. I'm not SUPER experienced with firearms but have been learning (and plan to continue) a lot.

I have a 6" s&w 357 magnum revolver.
A small h&r 22 revolver
A rock armory 22tcm/9mm 1911
And of course my "trusty" shield 2.0

I wanted a semi auto so I'd have 2 and . So if you could recommend a very very reliable semi auto that'd be great. But I do like revolvers too. So, whatever you think would be best suited. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having an issue with it not ejecting spent brass and cycling the next round but it will cycle the clip fine by hand

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you contact s&w? How long have you had it and when did the problem start?
It started out of the box, it's complicated so I haven't been able to comtact s&w about it. Gonna try stripping it down and oil it back up and see! Thank everyone for being so friendly and welcoming!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
It started out of the box, it's complicated so I haven't been able to comtact s&w about it. Gonna try stripping it down and oil it back up and see! Thank everyone for being so friendly and welcoming!!
This is just my opinion…. I will never trouble shoot a new Smith & Wesson. If it doesn’t feed properly; its broke. I’m not going to trouble shoot whether it’s the gun, a magazine, ammo (as long as I’m using a reasonably good ammo), or anything else. “Break in”, to me, is non-sense on a quality handgun.

My .4S&W Shield (not an EZ) had trouble feeding right out of the box. I put about four or five mags through it. Went home and contacted Smith & Wesson. They had me send it in. When they sent it back they said they replaced the extractor and polished the feed ramp. Not a problem since.

I personally didn’t think they would ever get the problem fixed with the EZ, because I figured it was a .380 problem. That round can’t operate a gun of any size and constantly has feeding issues. But they still have the problem with the 9mm.

So I’d let them deal with it. I can remember when that would have happened. Nowadays it’s a crap shoot on who you get to look at it when it goes back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE: finally got to test my repaired 380. Look back at my older post for full details of what was wrong with it. Short version: stovepiping and not firing.

I fired about 75 rounds. All but 1 fired flawlessly. And the one that didnt was a weird one. Last round in the magazine. A live round entered the barrel but didnt actually fire. Had to lock the slide and shake it out. I'll attach a picture.

One other oddity. It SEEMED like it was doing the thing again where the trigger was disabled and wouldn't fire. The reason I sent it back. What had actually happened after looking at it closer was the slide never locked forward into place completely. It was actually back about half a millimeter. I noticed the loaded chamber indicator was down when there was a full mag inserted. I noticed the spring looked off a bit and the slide was back slightly. I pushed the slide forward manually locking it into place and that fixed the problem.

Now I wonder if the original problem was the same? Would just pushing the slide forward have fixed the problem and there was really no reason to send it in? Maybe I was just inexperienced with this gun and took the range masters word for it when he said "something wasn't right. send it back". Maybe that guy just didnt know any better either? I'd expect him to be a bit of an expert but maybe he wasn't.

Then again the repair report said "trigger repqired". Who knows. Seems to be fine now. I'm happy with it. 6 months later I finally got to shoot it and I like it a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my wife the new shield 2 “ez” for everyday carry. As described she can load, rack, and shoot gun with no issues....but the darn thing ejects a live round with the spent casing every other shot and somtimes flies out on ground or gets stuck in slide. I’ve tried four different kinds of ammo with same results... anyone else have this gun/ issue??:😭
I just bought the M&P shield 380 EZ last week, and I’m having occasional stove pipe issues. The last round in the magazine stove pipes 25% of the time (150 roundS through the pistol so far).
I noticed when I load the magazines, the last round in is a little wiggly. I wonder if it’s a magazine spring issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mr. W

I finally got to the range last weekend. I shot about 80 rounds through it with only loading 2 rounds in the mag. I did not have any issues. I still am going to fire more before I completely say that the springs fixed it.

I'm having another issue of it shooting left. 6" left at 7 yards. To make sure it's not just me I also had a RO who is also a local sheriff and a coworker who shoots competitions on the weekends shoot it. They both had the same results as I.
Thanks for the followup post, Moldman.
At around 5 or 10 yrds, mine shot 5 or 6" to the left too. I moved the rear sight all the way to the right and it now shoots on center. It looks a little weird with the rear sight being so obviously jammed to one side, but it's what it took. There's an allen head screw under the slide to adjust it. Just take the slide off and look inside, and you'll see it.
Mine still stovepipes the last round for around 75% of the mags. I still haven't called to get S&W to send me new updated springs and followers, but maybe will tomorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the followup post, Moldman.
At around 5 or 10 yrds, mine shot 5 or 6" to the left too. I moved the rear sight all the way to the right and it now shoots on center. It looks a little weird with the rear sight being so obviously jammed to one side, but it's what it took. There's an allen head screw under the slide to adjust it. Just take the slide off and look inside, and you'll see it.
Mine still stovepipes the last round for around 75% of the mags. I still haven't called to get S&W to send me new updated springs and followers, but maybe will tomorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just wanted to post some possibly good news , I have a 380ez also , got for the wife , and it recently started stovepiping the last round , I ordered new springs , stock but also emailed WOLFF and got this reply

Thank you for your email. We have had a growing number of requests for these recoil springs and we will likely be offering them in the future. I do not have an exact ETA on them currently as things are a bit all over the place still due to some temporary changes from the COVID situation, but they are on our list to offer products for.

Thank you
Sean Wolff
W.C. Wolff Company

so maybe if a few others email they will get to them sooner and we can get a heavier better spring .

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am wanting to buy the M&P 380 for my wife due to her hand strength, what other choices do I have?
I joined this forum just now for the same reason a lot of others joined: THE EZ STOVE PIPE ISSUE.

I have had a Shield EZ for about 2 years. It was great for about 800 rounds and then started stove piping. Not with every magazine or every time, but regularly and often. Nuff said there.

Your post is over a year old, but if you have not found the right gun for your wife yet: I have two SIG P238's. My first impression of them was "Honey, I shrunk the 1911!" They are 1911 style, but not true 1911's. They are every bit as easy to rack as the Shield .380 EZ. The triggers are really great, not too light and not too heavy. AND both of mine are totally not ammo picky. You WILL want to buy the 7 round magazines with the pinky extender for a full grip. The magazines are also crazy expensive.

I also have a Glock 42 that I bought 6 years ago, but have not been able tor rack the slide on it for the past 2 years without using a plastic HandiRacker gizzy, and it absolutely will not shoot Privi Partisan. Not at all.

I know the P238's cost considerably more, but I carry a gun to protect my life and the lives of those I care for. No WAY would I consider carrying my Shield .380 EZ! It is a range toy only -- because I've tried all the spring-thing fixes and I will never trust it for carry or home defense. ALSO, you cannot load a full or even partially full magazine with one in the chamber and that eliminates the EZ for most competitions, and for SD if you have trained to always drop a mag and insert a new one before you run to slide lock!

181 - 200 of 202 Posts