MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Still Waiting

I just got off the with S&W customer service where mine has been in the shop for about 5 weeks now. The rep said that it is being prepared for return shipping. I asked several different ways if they could communicate to me what was done to correct the problem and was told in several different ways that it was not possible. Apparently there will be some sort of invoice in the package that is returned that may tell me something about what was done but no other assurances were given and no other communication is available. Gotta say - I WAS being patient with them and could forgive the initial issue but now I am pretty upset with the whole thing. So I'm going to get it back in a week or so, and test fire the thing without ANY idea of what will happen next. Does that sound reasonable to you? I'll post the results to you guys when I get it back. Unbelievable!

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is one hell of an explation MP9, and to
include photos, WOW!!!!!! Are you by chance
an Armorer? Thanks for the AWESOME
explanation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update

I received an email stating that my 380EZ is being delivered today by FedEX. I'm hoping that the issue is resolved and perhaps there will be some indication of what was fixed or replaced - Since customer service wouldn't find out for me. They are going to have to do something because I'm seeing this issue grow. More an more folks are having this issue. In fact, Hickok45 released a video the other day about the 380EZ and had two stovepipe failures during the video. As a manufacturing guy, I fully understand the difficulties of a first production run of any product and how these things will happen, so I'm understanding about the fact that it had a problem. What is troubling is that, when there is a repetitive quality issue, most manufacturers have a way of communicating internally what the issue is and how to resolve it. Auto makers use a system of TSBs (technical service bulletins) for example. S&W doesn't seem to have any way of relaying issues or fixes internally and especially externally. I'm sure that they are good people but this is a business process issue and it's a pretty big one. My bet is that they will figure out that a lot of these are coming back for the same reason and maybe then they will provide some sort of notification.

I'll see what I can ascertain from the paperwork in the box when I get the pistol back, I'll take her to the range this weekend and put a couple hundred rounds through it, and I'll post to you guys what the results were early next week. In the meantime, the hickok45 video is below - I'm a big fan of hickok45 so this is a nice plug for him.

Fast forward to 10:30 and 18:05 for the failures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I received my 380EZ last evening from S&W. The paperwork that was included gave no indication of what was fixed and wasn’t completely filled out by the technician. I haven’t fired it yet, maybe it’s fine, maybe it got mixed up with the safety switch issue. There’s no way for me to tell. I attached the document that came with it, maybe someone on this forum can tell me something about it???

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Final Update

Well sorry guys. After sending it back, calling S&W 3 times and trying very hard to work with them. I received my 380EZ after they worked on it and it still has the problem. Out of 50 rounds I got one stove pipe and three FTF. I tried both magazines and used the same winchester white box ammo as before. The invoice paperwork I received with the pistol wasn't even filled out, they would not give any indication of why this issue is happening, and they don't seem to care about it. I'll call them today to discuss what to do about it but I'm done - Probably just going to have to eat the cost but my wife is completely unhappy with it, I'm totally disgusted with S&W and have no plans on purchasing another S&W - not because of the design or even the issue but because of how they are handling it. For your information, when a warranty issue comes through a repair facility, MOST manufacturers capture that information and make sure that the production facility gets that information quickly - 101 basic quality control methods. I can only conclude that this company doesn't have a very robust quality control system and therefore will always have problems, and those problems are passed along to the customers. I was hoping to be able to provide information on this stove pipe problem and help others with a "what to do" scenario but after 8 weeks of fooling with this thing, I've got nothing. Not even a fixed unit. This is my last post because I'm no longer an S&W customer. Good luck everyone

·
Registered
6 Posts
MadmanPauly - Its totally unacceptable of SW to provide no feedback at all on what they did to try to resolve the problem. You mentioned that it still stovepiped but also mentioned that you had multiple FTF. Did you have FTFs before sending back? Can you provide details on the FTFs? Mine ejected the last live round on a couple of occasions and also stovepiped the last live round once. This was 3 failure of 220 if I am remembering correctly - with only 3 rounds loaded in each mag for testing for this 'last round' problem. The last time I took it out I put 200 more rounds thru it while loading only 3rounds in each mag without a single failure using same ammo. I'm still waiting for feedback from others that SW has resolved this issue before sending mine in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I apologize, they were NOT FTF's they were FTLs I posted a picture for clarification - I guess I shouldn't type angry! The FTL's are new since the return but I did contact customer service and spoke to someone else this time. He looked it up and confirmed that they didn't even look at the stovepipe issue, nothing was done about it. They replaced the safety spring and shipped it back. He commented that they are going so fast that they probably didn't read my note that I placed in the box which tells me that no one is in control of what work is being done and they don't have any systems or processes in place to contain this type of problem. I called three times while it was there to try to make sure someone was looking at it. I did my part, he told me what I should do for this problem - what I NEED TO DO. His advice was to ship it back with a not that said only, "STOVE PIPE, not safety spring" to get their attention. He also said that he had not heard anything about this problem and that I was the first. I encourage all of you to at least call them and tell them that there's a problem so that they will do something about it. Right now, they aren't doing anything at all, even if you send it in.

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update on my mother and her EZ Shield:

We went back to the range yesterday with a different brand of ammo (Aguila instead of the Armscor she used previously) and it cycled 100% for 100 rounds. Tried the previously purchased Armscor and it cycled 100% with it as well.

Maybe it just needed to be broken in a bit. 225 or so rounds through it now. A few more tries and we'll have confidence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My pistol was returned today. My Repair form looks same as MadmanPauly except for “Performed service”

Mine says “Repair Ejector”

It will be a few days before I can test fire it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My pistol was returned today. My Repair form looks same as MadmanPauly except for “Performed service”

Mine says “Repair Ejector”

It will be a few days before I can test fire it.
Thanks for the update. I will be following your results for sure.

I am interested in this gun for maybe both my mother and one for the girl friend if they function 100%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sharp inner lips (WHAT ?!!) at the top of the mag can prevent the unhindered and smooth transfer from mag to chamber.
I dress up ALL my new / used but newly obtained mags with a fine stone to prevent hangups / stovepiping ....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was able to make it to the range this morning. I fired 50 rds of Federal 95gr FMJ.

I had one live round eject with a fired case. Last round in magazine like the previous times. It appears they didn’t fix the problem for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went ahead and finished the rest of my ammo. 25 rds Fed FMJ and 50 rds Fiocchi 95gr FMJ.

No more live rounds ejected. So, out of 125 rds fired today, one live round ejected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went ahead and finished the rest of my ammo. 25 rds Fed FMJ and 50 rds Fiocchi 95gr FMJ.

No more live rounds ejected. So, out of 125 rds fired today, one live round ejected.
Maybe it is working it self in.....?

·
Registered
6 Posts
During the first 150rds I put thru mine there were no failures. During the next 50rds there were 3 failures(ejected live rounds and live round stove pipes). I took it out a 2nd time and put 200rds thru it without any failures. All the same ammo. Sunday I will have the wife shoot it for the first time. I plan to put another 200rds thru it between us. I'll report back what the results were.

21 - 40 of 199 Posts