MP-Pistol Forum banner

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
It has been nearly 3 weeks since my EZ was returned to S&W by my local gun store. I spoke with the manager yesterday and he said that he requested that they replace the gun. He said he will call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I spoke with the guy at the gun store today and he said that S&W has agreed to replace my 380 EZ. They told him that it would take 4-6 weeks to process the order. At least they have agreed to replace it! Let's hope I get one that actually works!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update

I got the new gun today! They said it would take 4-6 weeks and it took less than one week!

I cleaned and lubed the gun and went to the range. I shot two full mags with Blazer brass ammo, with no failures. I then shot about 60 rounds of Blazer, loaded two at a time, and had no failures.
I shot 50 rounds of Magtech, two at a time, with no failures.
I shot 100 rounds of Remington UMC, two at a time, and had 4 failures (stovepiped last live round).

I will be returning to the range later this week to continue testing. I need to put some defensive rounds through it to be sure I won't have any issues.

Overall, I am happy. It is clear that this gun does not like the UMC ammo. I can live with that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
RGBell:

Glad to hear that S&W is realizing that they have a problem that needs to be fixed.

I hope your new gun give you years of trouble free shooting!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife did some dry fire practice with the gun for the first time. She was able to rack the slide easily with her arthritic hands. I will be taking her to the range soon so she can get some practice and become more familiar with the gun. We also have and Ruger LCRX 38 that she can handle pretty well. I hope this is the end of the problems with this gun! I read several posts on Ruger forums where people had the same issues with the UMC ammo in several guns. I am done with Remington ammo. Their Golden bullets do not work well in my Ruger 10/22, with stovepiped spent casings. Apparently, another example of "You get what you pay for."

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Actually, i`ve had pretty good luck lately with remingtons UMC 9mm. I cant speak for their 380 ammo.
I`ve never been a fan of their 22 ammo, worst ammo i`ve ever seen or used.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What is the difference?

What is different about the Remington UMC ammo vs the CCI Blazer? They look nearly identical. Same bullet shape, same bullet weight (95 gr), muzzle velocity is 955 for the UMC and 945 for the CCI. Is my EZ just a snob and rejects the cheaper UMC ammo? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Other thoughts...

Since this stovepipe issue always occurs with the last round in the magazine, this has to be a design flaw in the gun and/or magazines. Why can it successfully cycle the "problem" ammo until the last round? Why is that last round leaving the magazine before the slide has moved all the way back, as indicated in the video and photos shared on this forum? That last round is not being properly held in the magazine. I can understand how different shapes or dimensions of the round could make a difference in how the round interacts with the magazine, but the differences in some of these rounds are so minor, it doesn't make sense that we are seeing these malfunctions with some types of ammo. If the round isn't being retained in the magazine, I can see where a hotter load might cause the gun to kick a bit harder and the increased inertia could result in the round jumping out of the magazine if it is doesn't have enough spring tension to hold it in place until the bolt strips it off the magazine as it moves forward.

I did a little experiment with the EZ magazines. I loaded 8 rounds and then tapped the magazine against my finger. I can fairly easily get a round to pop out of the magazine, even when it is full. The rounds progressively take less force to get each round to come out. The last round comes out VERY easily. I tried the same thing with my Ruger EC9S magazines. The first two rounds would not come out at all. The rest of the rounds would come out, but took a lot of force, compared with the EZ magazines. S&W seems to be focused on the springs and followers as being the source of the problem. I think that is probably correct but it can't be the only problem. My replacement gun is better, but the problem is not totally solved. Perhaps the magazine lips need to adjusted to hold the rounds a little tighter. That last round will fly out of the magazine with a light tap. Has anyone tried tweaking the lips a little on their EZ mags?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
What is different about the Remington UMC ammo vs the CCI Blazer? They look nearly identical. Same bullet shape, same bullet weight (95 gr), muzzle velocity is 955 for the UMC and 945 for the CCI. Is my EZ just a snob and rejects the cheaper UMC ammo? :)
The powder charge can make all the difference in the world when it comes down to cycling a slide under fire.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The powder charge can make all the difference in the world when it comes down to cycling a slide under fire.
I would expect the muzzle velocity to be significantly different with a different powder charge, when the bullet is the same weight and shape.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have read this topic with interest because I was about to recommend this pistol to my daughter. Now I’m thinking about other options. Could it be that S&W got the springs too light in trying to make this pistol “EZ”. Has anyone tried aftermarket magazines with any success or slightly stiffer springs in the stock magazines? I like the idea of the EZ but if it can’t be relied upon to fire every time then it’s useless for a defensive weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update

I did some more testing with my EZ today. I shot 24 rds of Hornady Critical Defense FTX ammo. It was a huge failure. I loaded them two at a time, with a total of 12 attempts . It stovepiped and/or failed to feed 6 times, which is a 50% failure rate. I also shot 3 full mags of Remington UMC. It stovepiped once.
I purchased a box of 25 rds of Federal HST at the range and tried it. I had Zero failures. I am glad I identified a defense round that will work with this gun.
Add Hornady FTX to the list of ammo this gun doesn't like.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I did some more testing with my EZ today. I shot 24 rds of Hornady Critical Defense FTX ammo. It was a huge failure. I loaded them two at a time, with a total of 12 attempts . It stovepiped and/or failed to feed 6 times, which is a 50% failure rate. I also shot 3 full mags of Remington UMC. It stovepiped once.
I purchased a box of 25 rds of Federal HST at the range and tried it. I had Zero failures. I am glad I identified a defense round that will work with this gun.

Hornady Critical Failure has pissed off at least three of my pistols. No issues with any other ammo. And HST is fantastic. No issues and excellent results in all my .45s and my .40.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update

I did some more testing today and was very pleased.
I shot 16 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shok, loaded two at a time, with no failures.
I shot 32 rounds of Remington UMC, loaded two at a time, with no failures.
I shot two full mags of UMC with no failures.

Life is good!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update

My wife shot the EZ for the first time today. She really liked it. Before she knew it's name she said "It so easy to use!". She shot five full mags of Remington UMC with NO failures. She was able to shoot it quite accurately at 3 and 7 yards.

I wish I knew what was wrong with my original EZ. What was out of spec? I will never know.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I'm having trouble with stovepipe FTF and never dreamed I belonged to a whole new cult here. I was attempting to start a new thread and after posting, found this. having the same exact issues as in this post. Using Fiocchi ammo. I sent in one mag thinking it was that but found the gun still does it afterwards.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I'm having trouble with stovepipe FTF and never dreamed I belonged to a whole new cult here. I was attempting to start a new thread and after posting, found this. having the same exact issues as in this post. Using Fiocchi ammo. I sent in one mag thinking it was that but found the gun still does it afterwards.
Try a bunch of different ammo. If it fails with different ammo brands, send the gun back to S&W.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So sent the 380 back to Smith for the issues reported in this thread and was able to pick up a 380 PC LNIB (200rds) with the upgraded sights, etc. Used a different ammo today that with the previous shield.

Out of 100 rds we had 2 last round stovepipes, one straight up vertical, one at a 45 degree angle, like the gentleman's pix above in this thread and what our original did. GF loves THIS gun and I'll see what Smith does with the standard EZ shield first. We will get this straightened out "somehow". She likes the gun that much. It shoots great.

Any more thoughts from the "experts" on here?

Mag springs????

Slide spring?

Barrel?

·
Registered
402 Posts
So sent the 380 back to Smith for the issues reported in this thread and was able to pick up a 380 PC LNIB (200rds) with the upgraded sights, etc. Used a different ammo today that with the previous shield.

Out of 100 rds we had 2 last round stovepipes, one straight up vertical, one at a 45 degree angle, like the gentleman's pix above in this thread and what our original did. GF loves THIS gun and I'll see what Smith does with the standard EZ shield first. We will get this straightened out "somehow". She likes the gun that much. It shoots great.

Any more thoughts from the "experts" on here?

Mag springs????

Slide spring?

Barrel?
My thoughts are this as a consumer :
Keep on S&Ws ass until they make the guns run 100%. If you have to keep sending them back on S&Ws dime then so be it. You bought them and they are under warranty.
Keep on them until they make it right. In reading your posts I have never had an issue with Fiocchi .380 ammo in three guns so it likely isn't that.

141 - 160 of 199 Posts