MP-Pistol Forum banner

161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
My thoughts are this as a consumer :
Keep on S&Ws ass until they make the guns run 100%. If you have to keep sending them back on S&Ws dime then so be it. You bought them and they are under warranty.
Keep on them until they make it right. In reading your posts I have never had an issue with Fiocchi .380 ammo in three guns so it likely isn't that.
Got it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a .380 EZ last week and went to the range yesterday. I did plenty of research, and didn't see this issue. The gun came with 2 mags, one throws the last live round with the prior round every time, and one has no issues yet.. I shot 10 magazines each with 5 rounds (50 total).. No kidding one magazine every time and one has no issues (yet). I sent a message to S&W today to see what they say.. Has anyone actually gotten relief from SW on this issue? At the moment it seems like a magazine issue to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had to join and jump in here once I found this thread. Purchased my wife an EZ last weekend for typically the same reasons everyone else here has. She couldn't rack the slide on any other pistols. She is a new inexperienced shooter. She went to a beginners course yesterday. After they went through all the range instructions she was given time with her gun since she brought it. She loaded it up and pulled the trigger and bang. Pulled the trigger again and nothing. Instructor was with her and took the gun from her and racked the slide and out pops the spent casing. Gives it back to her and the same thing happens. Instructor takes the gun and fires it twice and the same thing happened both time. Gun does not eject the spent casing!
Unfortunately because of my wife's experience, and the fact they were in "class" she didn't go buy a different brand of ammo and try again. At this point only 4 rounds have been shot through it. I recently had surgery so I cant shoot it anytime soon. I plan on buying some different brands of ammo and going to the range with her but that may be a couple weeks out. I am hoping it just needs to be "broke in". Also gonna stop by where I bought it and speak with them on it. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm having trouble with stovepipe FTF and never dreamed I belonged to a whole new cult here. I was attempting to start a new thread and after posting, found this. having the same exact issues as in this post. Using Fiocchi ammo. I sent in one mag thinking it was that but found the gun still does it afterwards.

Had a shield .45 out for the first time and had a few feeding problems in both magazines did not get back to the range for a while and when I did I had the shield and my new P365. First I used Winchester in the 45 with no issues, tried all the mags no problem, Odd I thought. then I fired 50 rounds of Blazer brass out of the 365 - no problems. Went to my ammo box and loaded Fiocchi 9mm and had failures to go into battery. Two or three failures in each mag. Went back to the Balzer brass and no more FTF. Looked through my and supply of ammo figured out that I had used the Fiocchi in the .45 on my previous range trip. Tried various defense loads in both and no problems. Try a different brand of ammunition and see if your issue persists. I am swearing off Fiocchi for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. I bought this gun a few months ago for my wife. She loves the gun but like many here we've had issues with a live round stovepiping. After reading all the post I gave S&W a call to try to resolve the issue. I didnt want to send the gun or the mags in at this time because it is her carry gun and what's the point in having a firearm for self defense if you have to send it back. So I tried to find alternate solutions with the customer service rep. They refused to do anything short of sending the gun or mags in and I was told it would take 8-12 weeks. She then asked if there was anything else she could do, I said "I want this fixed". She then told me to have a nice day and hung up on me.

Very poor customer service.

I immediately call again and what do you know, I got the same rep. We went through the same conversation again, I asked if she could just send a new spring and follower to see if that helps. Magically she was able to do that no problem. If only this would have happened in the first time I called.

I have had good CS in the past, but this one rep has left a bad taste in my mouth toward S&W now.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. I bought this gun a few months ago for my wife. She loves the gun but like many here we've had issues with a live round stovepiping. After reading all the post I gave S&W a call to try to resolve the issue. I didnt want to send the gun or the mags in at this time because it is her carry gun and what's the point in having a firearm for self defense if you have to send it back. So I tried to find alternate solutions with the customer service rep. They refused to do anything short of sending the gun or mags in and I was told it would take 8-12 weeks. She then asked if there was anything else she could do, I said "I want this fixed". She then told me to have a nice day and hung up on me.

I immediately call again and what do you know, I got the same rep. We went through the same conversation again, I asked if she could just send a new spring and follower to see if that helps. Magically she was able to do that no problem. If only this would have happened in the first time I called.

I have had good CS in the past, but this one rep has left a bad taste in my mouth toward S&W now.
It's the luck of the draw with S&W CS. For the most part it's good but like I have posted you can always get one who is having a bad day/week/life. I would have hung up if I got the same useless rep but in the end it worked out for you. S&W has some really great reps, some script readers and some basically punks. If you pull a great one then you will be happy. The script readers are useless and I used to hang up on the punks. I finally got someone who was great and got a name and extension number. I haven't had to call them in a while but this guy took care of a bunch of my issues, he really cared about decent CS.
Don't let one CS rep tarnish your thinking, she sounds like a script reader.
Once you deviated too far from the script, she hung up.
Plus they have a complete shutdown once a year for two weeks and when they finally get the back up cleared hunting season hits. I've been told 2 months once but never longer then that.

I could write a cheap shot here and write "Well at least it's not Taurus".
In good conscience I cannot do that, I have had some of the best CS from them. They sent me some magazines that I expected to pay for and right on the invoice it said "Free of charge - Thanks for being a loyal Taurus customer". Then a few days later some used magazines showed up in a brown envelope with a hand written note that said "Just in case you need some parts". That's awesome CS. I never have broken one of the three Taurus guns I own so I don't know how that works.
I have heard since they moved to Georgia their CS is great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello all,

Hey, Moldman.
If you will, please post back and let us know if the springs and followers fix the stove piping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Mick for responding. Several years ago I had to send my 637 in for a new barrel due to really messed up rifling. It was real deep on one side and almost nonexistent on the other, I had great CS then. That's the type of CS I was expecting this time as well but got the complete opposite. If you dont mind, could you share you reps extension number? I would greatly appreciate it if I to need to call back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Mr. W, I will post when I get the springs and followers, could take several weeks. I'll also let you know after a put a few rounds down range to see if it fixed the problem or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two trips to the factory with no fix

I joined the site to add my experience. I bought a 380 EZ a while back, expecting that the jamming problm would have been worked out. I put 600 rounds of multiple brands through it, using four magazines - the two that came with the gun and 2 spares. (Two of those have the yellow painted springs.) It pretty consistently either ejected the last live round, or more commonly stovepiped the last live round.

I sent it to S&W in August (the gun and 4 mags) and got it back a while later. The form that came back with it didn't say what they'd done. I put another 200 rounds through it and it still stoved the last live round consistently. Back to S&W again. I got it back recently and the form says that they replaced the barrel and it was tested using 2 magazines. The mags look untouched, and they are the ones I sent (they're marked).

Went to the range today and put eight mags through it, of two different ammo brands (Lawman and PMC bronze - whatever I had left). Five last round stovepipes and one last round ejected live. One magazine worked fine - but this wasn't an exhaustive test in any way - just a frustrating one! I'll put another couple boxes through it, but I foresee it going back to the factory again. Unless they miraculously fix the problem that time, I am stuck with a piece of unreliable junk, since I can't sell it in good conscience.

Stephen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone , got any word from S&W on if they plan to address this MAJOR problem, or has it been fixed and I just haven't heard about it yet? From what i've been reading if its a spring issue or whatever, it surely has to be a whole lot of people with this problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recieved the new magazine springs and followers yesterday. The new springs are longer and are denoted with yellow paint. They shipped a lot faster than expected. I haven't shot it yet but I will report the results when I send a few rounds down range.
Thanks for the update! Are the followers exactly the same as the original ones that came with your gun? I counted the coils on the springs they sent it's the same count as original stock ones. Wonder if your original springs could be shorter from being compressed in the mag?
I hope it fixes your gun

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got a new Performance Center 380EZ last week and it has been flawless with every brand of ammo I have shot. I let a friend shoot it and he had problems with it not ejecting the fired case completely and causing a stovepipe, and this was when shooting the ammo made for Walmart by Federal. I think the cause was more his fault in some way, because I didn't have any problems shooting that ammo. It likes the Aguila ammo the best. This is a nice pistol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got a new Performance Center 380EZ last week and it has been flawless with every brand of ammo I have shot. I let a friend shoot it and he had problems with it not ejecting the fired case completely and causing a stovepipe, and this was when shooting the ammo made for Walmart by Federal. I think the cause was more his fault in some way, because I didn't have any problems shooting that ammo. It likes the Aguila ammo the best. This is a nice pistol.
With so many people having the same problem with the 380EZ, then it's the gun that's at fault, even if some people can shoot the same pistol without problem.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks Mick for responding. Several years ago I had to send my 637 in for a new barrel due to really messed up rifling. It was real deep on one side and almost nonexistent on the other, I had great CS then. That's the type of CS I was expecting this time as well but got the complete opposite. If you dont mind, could you share you reps extension number? I would greatly appreciate it if I to need to call back.
I'm sorry, I totally missed this one. I cant and here's why. I had a string of bad luck with QC and was buying at least one S&W a year. I got a bunch of script readers and flipped out. I literally had to send in two pistols right after getting them, one failed after 32 rounds and the other one had a horrible finish. It went back 48 hours after I got it, the slide was changed and it looked good but it came with the wrong striker. I got a CS rep who put me on hold and then I actually talked to a gunsmith. He said that it was wrong and they would send me the proper striker. All was good.

I ordered some parts and they were on back order. S&W has a Email notification option and my order didn't go through. After their website was showing these parts in stock for a month they weren't sent. I called then and instead of hitting the prompt for gun warranty, I hit the prompt for problems with S&W store orders.

I got a CS rep that was with S&W for a very long time. I went into a babble, he was able to pull up my repair orders and my orders for parts. I also had reference numbers for parts that were promised under warranty that never showed. It turns out not only had he worked there for a long time but he was one of the managers.

I never yelled at him but I did use some colorful words to describe their CS debacles. I also mentioned that when they had warranty stations I dealt with one and named the guy I dealt with. He said he talked with him almost weekly and he ordered all of his parts through him. I was respectful but also upset at the S&W runaround nonsense. To make it short he gave me his extension number and told me if I had any further problems to call him. He was there from 8AM to close 5 days a week. Everything showed up, my prices on the parts were jobber prices that they give to gunsmiths and I haven't had any issues since.

Since this is a known problem even if I gave you his extension I seriously doubt he could help you. S&W doesn't seemed too concerned about one of their products giving a bunch of people problems. If they had a fix they wouldn't be sending guns back that have the same issue. The best CS in the world isn't going to fix the flaw in the M&P380 Shield EZ. While this gentleman does seem to have pull at S&W, I doubt he could just take your gun back in exchange for something else through S&W. I know they will do this on certain guns and it usually takes months. Since S&W isn't even acknowledging this issue I seriously doubt that would happen. It takes three trips or more back home and you flipping out for them to even consider it.

I was going to refer you to another person who is quite the expert when it comes to S&Ws. I just found out he passed last year. Actually screw it, this mans name is Frank Smith and he ran S&Ws warranty station in Texas. If you dealt with Frank you were dealing with a man who gave his word and in turn expected you to keep yours. Whenever I dealt with him he knew exactly what the problem was on the phone and would send me the FedEx label. I would have my guns back in two weeks fixed.
Frank was a good guy and I'm sorry to find out he passed away. RIP Frank.

Alright instead of just deleting this whole comment, I'm going to tell you this. Read my post above, hit a different prompt on the phone. Do it early, like right at 8AM EST. You might get the same manager. Whether he can help you is doubtful. This thread is 12 pages long, there is a definite problem that S&W isn't addressing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recieved the new magazine springs and followers yesterday. The new springs are longer and are denoted with yellow paint. They shipped a lot faster than expected. I haven't shot it yet but I will report the results when I send a few rounds down range.
Did the springs and followers fix it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see this thread is old and long and lots of similar accounts so adding my experience.

I was dumbfounded to have the same issue on my daughter's new (2 months old .380 EZ model) and did a few checks and suspected the lips on the shell casings and the small footprint of the grip of the extractor claw.

I compared 5 brands of ammo and am going back to test my theory in more detail, but so far:
HPR , Sig , blazer, federal, and Sellier&Bellot (SB) were used in my 380 which is about 1k rounds total.

The HPR and Sig have visibly smaller lips on the shell and the HPR would stovepipe and the sig would eject live round.

I took some rounds in my hand without looking and mixed em up and looked at them on edge and could pick out the thinner lipped ones each time (HPR and SIG) and it only looks like microns of tolerance difference and some rounding instead of squaring on the edges. Add to that, this small gun doesn’t have a good wide extractor claw doesn’t help either (hence the footprint mention).

I've only used 30 rounds Sig and had about 5 or 7 full round ejections (thought I was senile at counting my rounds only to find a bunch of full ones on the floor). Many places out of my usual cheaper blazer target ammo is why I had to start using others.

I like the accuracy and laser option on this model and other features so am keeping it, but would like to know more on exactly Which Ammo others have run into this problem.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I see this thread is old and long and lots of similar accounts so adding my experience.

I was dumbfounded to have the same issue on my daughter's new (2 months old .380 EZ model) and did a few checks and suspected the lips on the shell casings and the small footprint of the grip of the extractor claw.

I compared 5 brands of ammo and am going back to test my theory in more detail, but so far:
HPR , Sig , blazer, federal, and Sellier&Bellot (SB) were used in my 380 which is about 1k rounds total.

The HPR and Sig have visibly smaller lips on the shell and the HPR would stovepipe and the sig would eject live round.

I took some rounds in my hand without looking and mixed em up and looked at them on edge and could pick out the thinner lipped ones each time (HPR and SIG) and it only looks like microns of tolerance difference and some rounding instead of squaring on the edges. Add to that, this small gun doesn’t have a good wide extractor claw doesn’t help either (hence the footprint mention).

I've only used 30 rounds Sig and had about 5 or 7 full round ejections (thought I was senile at counting my rounds only to find a bunch of full ones on the floor). Many places out of my usual cheaper blazer target ammo is why I had to start using others.

I like the accuracy and laser option on this model and other features so am keeping it, but would like to know more on exactly Which Ammo others have run into this problem.
I really don't think ammo is the problem. I mentioned in another thread that after the 250 rounds today, there are over 900 through my dad's .380 with all kinds of different ammo and not a single issue.

161 - 180 of 202 Posts