MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any issues with 9mm Shield EZ feeding? Firing 1st shot, shell ejects,
slide stops 1/4 way closed jamming round 2 partially out of magazine.
Once cleared, rest of load feeds fine. Same thing happened three times.
I will shoot it some more and see if it clears up.
Have a .380 e.z. that performs flawlessly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates on this? I'm having the same issues with the 9mm EZ... After 3 brands of FMJ rounds 300+ shots = 30+ Failures to Feed... Not happy! Can feel and see slow slide return on many of the chambered rounds that didn't jam! Same Ammo works fine in my shield 1.0

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought New Shield 9mm (NOT the EZ) and fired 50 rounds Blazer Brass FMJ. Constant mis-feeds. Very disappointed. Worse then the problem I experienced with my Bodyguard 380. The Bodyguard now after 500 rounds only mis-feed once with last 50 rounds but that once can get you killed. The reason I bought the 9mm Shield was because I didn't feel I could rely on the Bodyguard and all the videos I watched raved about the Shield 9mm reliability. So much for believing these videos. So far this Shield is starting off worse then the Bodyguard 380 ever did. I won't send it back to S&W yet until I've put 250 to 500 rounds through it and cleaned and inspected it more.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If it happens on the first couple rounds in the mag, the weaker recoil spring of the EZ is having to overcome the tension of the mag spring when the mag is loaded. After a round or two is fired, the rounds strip off the mag easier, less tension than when the mag is full.

That's the price of having an easy to rack pistol, it's not going to cycle with the same authority as a Shield with it's stiff recoil spring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same problem with my ez9. I figured maybe an issue with the ammo but if others are experiencing the same thing there may be an issue with the gun. Im following this thread to see if anyone has found answers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same problem with my ez9. I figured maybe an issue with the ammo but if others are experiencing the same thing there may be an issue with the gun. Im following this thread to see if anyone has found answers
Try fully loading the magazines and leaving them sitting for awhile. Once the springs take a set you will have less tension on the first round.

Alternatively you can download the magazine by a round until you have more cycles on the magazine spring then try a full load again.later.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I bought my wife an EZ 9 and we've tried several different types of ammo with zero problems.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had that problem with a new Shield (not EZ). I’m not trouble shooting gun problems on a new gun; it has QA issues. I sent it in, they sent it back and said they replaced the extractor and polished the feed ramp. I had to call them to find out what they did. No problems after that. So apparently either the extractor was bad, or the installation was bad. And apparently the feed ramp wasn’t finished properly.

They didn’t have me send the magazines in, and they didn’t send me any back. I’ve watched many folks chase that magazine problem BS way too many times.

As you can see, some folks have problems, some do not. That’s a gun issue and it needs to go back and have them deal with it.

I think my round trip was around 12 days, if I remember correctly.

It appears the EZ’s are having a lot of problems. I thought the .380 just didn’t have the guts to run a gun that big; but it looks like the 9MM is having problems also. And that’s a shame for the people relying on these as self-defense guns.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had that problem with a new Shield (not EZ). I’m not trouble shooting gun problems on a new gun; it has QA issues. I sent it in, they sent it back and said they replaced the extractor and polished the feed ramp. I had to call them to find out what they did. No problems after that. So apparently either the extractor was bad, or the installation was bad. And apparently the feed ramp wasn’t finished properly.

They didn’t have me send the magazines in, and they didn’t send me any back. I’ve watched many folks chase that magazine problem BS way too many times.

As you can see, some folks have problems, some do not. That’s a gun issue and it needs to go back and have them deal with it.

I think my round trip was around 12 days, if I remember correctly.

It appears the EZ’s are having a lot of problems. I thought the .380 just didn’t have the guts to run a gun that big; but it looks like the 9MM is having problems also. And that’s a shame for the people relying on these as self-defense guns.
That wouldn’t explain why many people have no problems with the gun. Over 700 round in my dad’s with zero malfunctions.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Despite some that report no issues with the EZ, it seems there are many reporting issues.
Maybe the same people that have trouble racking a normal slide are limp wristing it ?
That along with a weaker recoil spring would compound the feeding problems.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's good for your dad. But I'm confused as to what any of that has to do with what I posted??

You said " It appears the EZ’s are having a lot of problems. I thought the .380 just didn’t have the guts to run a gun that big; but it looks like the 9MM is having problems also. And that’s a shame for the people relying on these as self-defense guns."

My only point is that if it was a design flaw or that the round just wasn't enough to run that big a gun, then they all would have the problem. The fact that there are hundreds of thousands of these guns out there performing flawlessly tells me that it's something else.

FWIW, among other guns, we put another 250 through the .380 EZ this afternoon. Not a single issue. That's around 900 rounds now with no issues. The fixed sights are still dead nuts and after zero'ing the Laserguard sight we shot 200 plus rounds through it with no issues.

Lots of people complaining about the Springfield 911 too. I know 3 different guys that have them and carry them and have put hundreds of rounds through them with zero malfunctions.

Maybe it's just that with mass produced items there is going to be a certain percentage of them that just have issues that didn't get sorted out before they left the factory. As with any carry weapon, you simply shouldn't count on it to save your life until you've put several hundred malfunction free rounds through it.

If I had one of these problem guns I would return it and ask them to test it for at least 50 rounds before sending it back. If it still has problems after that I would ask them to exchange it for a new one. If they refused I would cut my losses, sell it and buy something else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the exact same issue when my son was shooting the EZ9 , it didnt happen when I shot it. Limpwristing causes this type of malfunction. Another thing to consider is the length of the shell/bullet does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer , and heavier grain bullets can stick out farther than some others. My 147 gr. PDX1 ammo just barely clears the bottom lip of the feed ramp. Work your slide with an empty gun , look closely at how the barrel does not tip upward ( sending the ramp side down ) very far at all compared to many other guns , even the standard shield. The tilting is to aid in the shell travelling out of the mag and up the ramp. That very limited tilting combined with a slightly longer ammo can cause the bullet tip to hit or drag on the edge of the ramp and slow the momentum of the slide traveling forward. Figured this out while discussing it with the guy working at our local gun range. Seems this gun works just fine except that particular issue could make the gun picky about the particular ammo used.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought New Shield 9mm (NOT the EZ) and fired 50 rounds Blazer Brass FMJ. Constant mis-feeds. Very disappointed. Worse then the problem I experienced with my Bodyguard 380. The Bodyguard now after 500 rounds only mis-feed once with last 50 rounds but that once can get you killed. The reason I bought the 9mm Shield was because I didn't feel I could rely on the Bodyguard and all the videos I watched raved about the Shield 9mm reliability. So much for believing these videos. So far this Shield is starting off worse then the Bodyguard 380 ever did. I won't send it back to S&W yet until I've put 250 to 500 rounds through it and cleaned and inspected it more.
Hmm that's what I've ran in my shield 1.0 since new. I've had now malfunctioning maybe once in the first 50 rounds. Nothing since At 600 through it now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
We have an EZ9 and can't see how you can limpwrist it, as you have to grip it tightly in order to get the grip safety to release the hammer to fire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chris.praying
I purchased 2 M&P 9mm EZ guns 2 weeks ago.
i had a failure to feed problem with one.
called got a return shipping label .
Now I have the same problem with the other one.
We gave ran about 400 rounds of different Factory 115g ammo thru them. With 6 different magazines.(marked them after 1st problem)
i called and they are now sending a different shipping label for the 2nd one.
they said I would have to wait 6 weeks..
I just bought them 2 weeks ago. had I knew this, I would have never purchased them.
unbelievable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts