MP-Pistol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Hope it works out Ziggidy. I did read one post where they did the exact same thing and OP said it fixed the issue. They replaced the barrel on mine. But, I also polished the feed ramp and lubed top of follower/feed lips with Ballistol.

Just very lightly on the follower/feed lips and wiped them down very good.

I am having 1 FTF per every 4 to 5 mags shot now. Going to range tomorrow.

Wish they made a slightly stronger RSA.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Well, I started to write a treatise on extractors, but decided to be lazy. So, the Reader's Digest version is that an extractor can either “cause,” or “not allow” several things to happen beyond just extracting, and one of them is feeding.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I bet it will shoot fine now. Positive thinking. Plus more rounds may help. I did mention in other posts that the EZ is now my backup. Main one for SD is now my 2.0 in my signature.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I will re-post this from my 9EZ Feed Issue thread---

"Just got back from the Range. Shot 4 mags with the 9EZ. No FTFs or any issues at all.

Hopefully it is "Beaking In"

Will continue to lightly polish feed ramp and keep the top of the Follower and Feed Lips wiped down. Not sure if any of that helps. Or, more rounds are helping. Maybe all of the above. lol"

There is still hope Ziggidy---

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to chime in that there is hope. I had feed issues out of the box worse than anything I saw posted here or elsewhere and I seem to have fixed them with only an hour's worth of work.

I picked up a new Performance Center 9 EZ a few weeks ago. My EDC gun has been a .40 for 25 years so it took me a while to find some 9mm ammo for the break-in, given the COVID shortages. While waiting, I gave the gun a light cleaning and lube. With several boxes of Federal (American Eagle) 147 gr. Flat-nose FMJ (I took what I could get) and some Federal HST 147 gr. JHP in hand I hit the range. It was an absolute disaster.

Out of the first 100 rounds of the flat-nose FMJ, 73 failed to feed (wouldn't return to battery and a round jammed against the feed ramp; yes, I counted). Out of 32 rounds (4 mags) of the JHP ammo, 24 failed to feed. Needless to say, I was pretty angry.

A semi-auto pistol is a pretty simple machine, so I hoped solving this wouldn't be that hard. In the end, this seems to have been the accumulation of a bunch of friction and didn't require anything more drastic than a good polishing. In my case, it had nothing to do with grip strength, required no new springs, and had nothing to do with the extractor. There was no way I was going to send a brand new pistol back to S&W for however many weeks it would take without being certain of the problem. So I:
  • Took some 600 grit sandpaper and sanded the feed ramp smooth.
  • Took some white polishing rouge and a Dremel and mirror-polished the feed ramp.
  • Cleaned all the sliding surfaces on the slide and applied a light grease.
  • Disassembled, cleaned, and polished the top of the magazine to smooth feeding. (Dremel again.)
  • Polished the ejector, removing a small burr on the end. (When working the slide I noticed very distinct drag as the ejector passed through. Polishing it smoothed this out significantly.)
I did leave the magazines loaded for two weeks as well.

Next trip to the range, I had only one failure to feed in 100 rounds of the flat-nose FMJ (within the first 24 rounds) and one failure in 2 magazines with the JHP, but the JHP ammo cases were very scratched. The whole situation was much improved. I'm confident that another couple hundred rounds will have sufficiently broken in the whole system to make the pistol reliable.

Do I wish a brand new Performance Center pistol worked perfectly out of the box? Of course. But any machine needs some lubrication and the occasional adjustment, and overall I didn't really have to do much. Perhaps different ammo would have worked better, but COVID shortages made it impossible for me to go out and try a bunch of different brands. So far, I'm happy with what I have.

The basic design of a hammer-fired semi-automatic pistol has been understood for more than 125 years - there is no chance S&W produced a "bad design" here. And I don't think they have a serious quality control issue. In the end, if my experience is indicative of the larger problem, there is no one single cause. It's not that the feed ramp isn't polished enough, or that the extractor is bad, or that the recoil spring is too weak (or that your grip is insufficient). It's a little bit of all of that. Basically, if all the cumulative friction of the feed process is less than the power of the recoil spring, the system works. If it's greater, then the system fails. Reduce a lot of friction in one place or a little bit in a bunch of places, and hey presto, it suddenly works fine. It seems like S&W tried to design this gun with the minimum margin of error in the recoil spring, so it only takes a little drag to cause a failure.

Don't give up.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I agree, and think that the simplest ”fix” for S&W’s target market for the EZ models; folks with weakened hand strength that need a pistol that’ll run reliably without having to futz around with it, is a recoil assembly with around three pounds more strength than the original. That should be enough force to function reliably, while still being light enough for the members of it’s target market to operate.

I have a great deal of experience in working with 9mm and .45 acp 1911’s, (plus various M&P models, rifles, and even some revolver work), and identifying a proper recoil spring weight for reliable function, without over springing; which can lead to unintended consequences, such as wear on other parts.

I've found that as little as a 2-3 pound difference is recoil spring weight can make a big difference in reliable function.

That said; I don’t believe that randomly raising the recoil spring weight by a large degree is proper, and will just mask other problems, rather than being the actual solution. I always look to extractor tension, and inner lug slide stop geometry, before addressing recoil spring weight in 1911’s. But, I’ve been a student of the 1911 for over 30 years now, in working on them, shooting them in competition, and using them for carry daily.

That said, just because I can work on them doesn’t mean that I think it’s acceptable that new ones need work, or a break in period, to be reliable. That’s crap, and I’ve chosen to drop certain brands that require either to function reliably.

I strongly believe that when anyone buys a firearm for any purpose, and certainly for protection; it damn well should be reliable with no more than a good cleaning and lubing before it’s first range trip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK......RANGE REPORT......
Most know my story about the 9mmEz and the problems I experienced right out of the box; after cleaning and lube. MANY FTF regardless of ammo used. I actually had more frequent FTF's when I went from 115 to 124 to 147. 115 ball ammo was best but still had FTF. Any deviation caused increased problems. Hollow Points - any grain - was a nightmare.

I had the gun about a month and sent it back to S&W. After 8 weeks I received it back (last friday) and finally took it to the range today. I only spent 30 minutes at the range but I did put at least 120 rounds through it. I used all kinds, all grains. Ball allmo, flat ammo and hollow points. Mostly did rapid fire but also slowed it down here and there.

Y'all know I was very upset with S&W. I could not see how a gun so bad would ever, could ever be fixed. They sent it back and said they repaired the extractor and polished the feed and housing.

NOT ONE FTF!!!!! Not one! I am not 100% comfortable with it yet to use as my EDC, but with more use, it very well could be very soon!

Not one FTF! Yes, I am happy. It shot everything I put in it!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
That’s great Ziggidy. Glad to here it.

My last trip was no FTFs either. Hoping it continues. They didn’t do anything to my Extractor when I sent mine back. Just replaced the barrel. When it works, a very nice handgun.

·
Registered
718 Posts
After around 500 rounds of various brands and weights of ammo, not even one malfunction with my wife's 9EZ. This gun shoots some of the tightest groups of anything I have shot, including my very expensive competition guns. I can easily shoot nickel sized groups at 7 yards slow fire with it offhand. Contrary to most 9mm's, which prefer 124 grain ammo, this one thrives on 115 grain Federal and Blazer Brass. Took some new shooters out with it today and after teaching them the fundamentals of grip, posture, stance, etc, they were dropping all 7 plates on a rack (5" diameter) at 10 yards, with very few misses. The only thing I changed was the front sight to a green Hi-Viz. The gun is amazing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
After around 500 rounds of various brands and weights of ammo, not even one malfunction with my wife's 9EZ. This gun shoots some of the tightest groups of anything I have shot, including my very expensive competition guns. I can easily shoot nickel sized groups at 7 yards slow fire with it offhand. Contrary to most 9mm's, which prefer 124 grain ammo, this one thrives on 115 grain Federal and Blazer Brass. Took some new shooters out with it today and after teaching them the fundamentals of grip, posture, stance, etc, they were dropping all 7 plates on a rack (5" diameter) at 10 yards, with very few misses. The only thing I changed was the front sight to a green Hi-Viz. The gun is amazing.
Yes, it is a great gun when it works properly. Fun to shoot, really accurate, light weight, and more.

It is really GOOD to read that a lot of people have trouble free EZ's!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another range update.

Today I put another 100 rounds of 147 grain flat-nose FMJ through my EZ without a single failure. It was perfect. To test the theory that it might have something to do with the magazine springs, I also brought three brand new mags. I took them out of the package and without doing a single thing (no clean, no lube, no polish ... didn't even flex the springs) they fed 6 mags without a problem, I also had a box of 50 rounds of Federal 115 grain FMJ and it ate that without a single problem as well.

What have I learned? Well, in my case,
  • There is no design flaw. The recoil spring rate is fine, and everything works.
  • It's not the design or the spring rate in the magazine.
  • It's not that the gun "doesn't like" heavy or flat-nose bullets.
  • It may be that the final QA at Smith and Wesson didn't catch a slightly rough reed ramp and slightly burred ejector.
  • Basically, a burr on the ejector and a rough surface on the feed ramp combined to jam up an otherwise good gun.
With several hundred rounds past the feed trouble, I'm really starting to like this gun. In the end, it took nothing more than a tiny bit of sandpaper and 30 minutes with a Dremel to reverse what was one of the worst feeding guns I've ever seen in nearly 50 years of shooting.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I am looking forward to taking it out again but since ammo is hard to get (and expensive), I will be frugal.
I have another thread on this issue. So, lose track of my most current posts. But, I did have another range trip Wednesday and no FTFs. That is second trip in a row. Still wiping down follower top and feed lips with my general wipe down rag. So, a little Ballistol probably still on it. And still lightly polishing feed ramp with 600 grit paper. But, only for about 15-20 seconds. Enough to just shine it up. Been using Ballistol on everything now. So, ramp gets it too. If gun continues to not misfeed will only sand ramp occasionally. But, for now if it works keep doing it. I love my new M&P 9mm 2.0 Compact 4 inch. But, the EZ is fun too. I will usually shoot 4-5 mags of both on a range trip.

On ammo. I am lucky here in Dayton OH to have a gun shop that always has 9mm Lugar plus heavier SD ammo. Only 2 boxes at a time. But, it is not far away. So, can make a trip whenever needed. Sometimes I get lucky at the local Shoot Point Blank and catch them when restocking shelves.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I bought the 9mm EZ for my wife 9/4/2020. I took it out a couple of days ago and fired one box of 124 grain ball ammo. I cleaned the pistol very well and lubricated it after cleaning. It fired perfectly. No hiccups what so ever. Have a good feeling about this one.
Congrats txace01, I got the EZ for my arthritic hands. Love it and sure your wife does too. Because of the initial feeding problems I got the M&P 9mm 2.0. I really don't have any slide manipulation issues with it. Not that hard to rack. But, glad I got both. Now if one goes down, I have a backup.

I am a retired AF E8 also. 24 years. Retired in 93. Retirement sure has gone fast.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Well y’all; I retired in February 2010 at 59, and thought I was old. Then I read these last couple of posts, and wanted to pay my respects.

So:

View attachment 17730

Nuttin’ but love for y’all; nuttin‘ but love! :ROFLMAO:
Whether "Mr Saturday Night" or "The Great One" Jackie was a legend from a simpler time. Loved all the rolls he played. The 21st century hasn't produced his kind and may never again.

Sorry for going OT---

41 - 60 of 62 Posts