MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my wife a new ez 9. Was gonna get the 380 version but with the 9 we can both use the same ammo....easier and cheaper. The slide lock release button is really stiff and difficult. I know this is normal for a new gun and it should get better with wear but its not so bad with no magazine , with the magazine in however there is a flange inside that pushes down on the little plastic button on the side of the magazine. With a mag inserted , pushing the slide release down to release the slide also pushes down against the spring pressure in the magazine. No wonder its so hard to release the slide lock when a magazine is inserted. With a loaded mag , and compressed spring , the slide release is near impossible to push. That wont get better over time. Thats crazy. Are they all that way or is it a defect ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a pic through the magwell from the top. Inside right about the middle you should be able to see the little metal tab that pushes down on the plastic tab sticking out the side of a magazine ( spring compression tabs to make loading easier ). Pushing the slide release button with a mag inserted also pushes against spring compression in the magazine.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My regular shield does not have it either. It seems dumb to add the extra mag spring tension to the resistence already in the slide release so my first though was to bend the tab so it does not contact the magazine , but it might just be a shield EZ thing that is necessary for some reason. Its a real issue when it comes to releasing the slide and if its supposed to be that way its the dumbest design Ive ever seen. Hopefull someone else who has this gun will be able to shed some light on it. I am unaware if the 380 version is like this too or not.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Does it release easy when you pull back the slide instead?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulling back the slide to take tension off the lock does make it a little easier. But if after the last shot is fired and slide locks open if anyone were planning to insert a new loaded mag and hit the lock to send the slide home chambering a round its very difficult even with strong hands. Its hard to think that its supposed to be that way

·
Registered
292 Posts
With the slide locked back, insert a full mag... now pull back on the slide and let go. The slide release should release automatically when you pull it back. If not, there's a problem. Talks about this in the manual.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
It’s a slide lock more than a slide release, particularly in the 2.0 models.

Teach your wife to slingshot the slide to chamber a round.
With the slide locked back, insert a full mag... now pull back on the slide and let go. The slide release should release automatically when you pull it back. If not, there's a problem. Talks about this in the manual.
Good idea; why didn’t I think of that? :laughing:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know why I havent tried that , I read it but I am so used to just hitting the lock button on other guns. It will be interesting to see if it will release that way when the tab pushes against the loading assist button on the mag. Oh well , new gun new design. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ever since basic training I guess I just naturally think every gun should have a bolt release on the side you can just hit after reloading....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ever since basic training I guess I just naturally think every gun should have a bolt release on the side you can just hit after reloading....
+ 1. I learned it all at Parris Island.

Following this to hear the final on it. Arthritis is starting to affect my hands so I'm reading with interest about the EZ series.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I dont know why I havent tried that , I read it but I am so used to just hitting the lock button on other guns. It will be interesting to see if it will release that way when the tab pushes against the loading assist button on the mag. Oh well , new gun new design. Thanks for the help.
It’ll work every time with a loaded mag, unless it’s a 1911 with a shok-buff installed. If the mag is empty, the slide will remain in slide lock, as it should.

·
Registered
16 Posts
M&P Shield 9 m m this week I didn't I didn't actually go to buy a 9 mm Shield EZ but it had out of several guns it had the only slide I could rack.so so I purchased it.it also had tabson the magazines I have as much trouble loading mag as I do racking the slide.Smith & Wesson really made it a whole lot easier to operate.

Sent from my M1031G1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everything works as it should. Just gotta get used to snapping the slide back and letting it go instead of pushing the slide lock. It would be nice to just reach up with my thumb for the button so I really think it should be an option but its not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
M&P Shield 9 m m this week I didn't I didn't actually go to buy a 9 mm Shield EZ but it had out of several guns it had the only slide I could rack.so so I purchased it.it also had tabson the magazines I have as much trouble loading mag as I do racking the slide.Smith & Wesson really made it a whole lot easier to operate.

Sent from my M1031G1 using Tapatalk
Look into the Makershot magazine loader. Maybe $15 at Amazon.

They are magazine/firearm specific, so you will have to scroll the list to choose the correct loader.

If Makershot does not offer one, some other manufacturer will.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
One can generally see which slide locks are also designed to be slide releases. Some are extended and/or quite obvious in function. I'm thinking 1911 and Walther PPQ there and yes ,most battle/assault rifles. Others just aren't designed to be actuated when the slide is locked back. They aren't shaped so that the thumb can easily use it. The M&Ps are in that category and the slide lock can be observed and designed not to be operated in use. But when in doubt check the owners manual that's why every new gun sold has one and they're generally even posted on line. Yeah, I know, actually read the manual? Who would ever think such a thing? :D

Unless the guns bolt/slide goes forward at a mag change the guns with slide releases are a second or so faster than slingshotting the slide. Too, if one operates the gun with force when slamming home a new mag' one can get the gun to auto forward the slide. It's been awhile since I used the M&P but if I remember correctly the M&P is one that can do that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that. I know the 1911 will do it.

I'm just as subject to buying on a whim as anyone else, but many times I also go online and study the manual before even going to the local GS before holding one in hand. Many times I'll show up and know more about the gun than the person selling it. It's amazing what one can learn from the operators manual.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
^^^^ You’re right, Brian; the M&Ps will auto-forward when doing a forceful reload. It was even noted in the user manuals. Unfortunately, (I guess) enough owners didn’t RTFM, and bitched about it being a “problem.” So, the 2.0 models have a design change to the slide stop mechanism that does away with the auto-forward feature. That’s why I have no interest in owning a 2.0 model.

Of course, now people are bitching about how hard it is to use the “slide release” (slide stop) on the 2.0 models....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everything works as it should. Just gotta get used to snapping the slide back and letting it go instead of pushing the slide lock. It would be nice to just reach up with my thumb for the button so I really think it should be an option but its not a deal breaker.
On my mp 9 (not a shield) I can release the slide fairly easy via the thumb release and if I slam a full magazine in, the slide will drop all on it's own which I find is good for quick reloads...
On my shield 1.0 and shield EZ I find it very difficult to release with my thumb, like you I have learned to just rack the slide back and drop it... Also all 3 mp's function about the same as an empty clip is what pushes the slide lock upward so it's always a little harder to push it back down against an empty magazine by design.
I have considered filling the lock tab back some as it appears to have a slight angle that holds it locked... If I thought I could get it just like my other mp I would attempt it but a little too much filling and you risk it sliping loose to easy...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts