MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to handguns, went hunting with my grandfather's old rifles and shotguns growing up. I just bought my first handgun, the 9mm Shield. The finish says Black 68 HRc. I read that this is a measurement of the hardness and I think they were saying the material was melonite. I just wanted to know if I could get some more details on what this Black 68 HRc means. If it's the hardeness, how does it compare to others?

Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
68 HRC is the Rockwell Hardness classification which is pretty dang hard as compared to say, mild steel or aluminum. It has to do with measuring the tensile strength of metals. Google Rockwell Hardness metallurgical steel comparisons and you will find many examples of common steels/metals and their common uses that you will recognize. Attached is a Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_scale

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I'm new to handguns, went hunting with my grandfather's old rifles and shotguns growing up. I just bought my first handgun, the 9mm Shield. The finish says Black 68 HRc. I read that this is a measurement of the hardness and I think they were saying the material was melonite. I just wanted to know if I could get some more details on what this Black 68 HRc means. If it's the hardeness, how does it compare to others?

Thanks y'all.
this web site explains about melonite

Melonite Processing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts