MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't use release when magazine is in the gun and empty. Have to drop the mag then I can use it. However, still unbelievable how much force is required. Help.

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
You didn't really specify but I'm guessing you mean the slide release. That's a pretty easy answer, the reason the slide release doesn't work well is...the M&P's don't have a slide release, they have a slide lock. The slide lock isn't intended to be used as a slide release, check your owner's manual, it calls it a slide lock not a slide release.

To release the slide when the pistol is empty, drop the magazine, retract the slide to unlock it and let it go forward. Same thing when shooting, if you insert a loaded mag, to release the slide pull it back and let it go, its called the slingshot method since its very much like pulling a slingshot back before shooting it.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can't use release when magazine is in the gun and empty. Have to drop the mag then I can use it. However, still unbelievable how much force is required. Help.
First, welcome to the forum, this is a good place with nice people and great information.

When the pistol is new, it is likely to be stiff. Have you tried to "slingshot" or pull all the way back on the slide and release? does the slide move forward then? if not, either call S&W or if you are handy, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbeGB5BUelU
follow the instructions and see if it helps.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Slingshot or "power stroke" which is palm over top of slide, thumb on one side and four fingers on the other side. Slingshot is just thumb and index finger on back end of slide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are new to shooting and to the Shield ... it's going to be tough to set the slide lock by design. Relax .. it will get easier with use.

FYI ... when you have a empty magazine inserted, you can't "slingshot" the slide. There needs to be some rounds loaded in the magazine for this to work.

Word of caution ... if you are new to all this, please, please get some "snap caps" or dummy rounds to practice this ... under no circumstances should you learn all this with live rounds in your weapon.

Loading the magazine with snap caps or live rounds is going to be difficult also. You are going to have to get a speed loader to help you load rounds into the magazine. Those springs, too, will loosen up with use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great advice. Yes, new to shooting. Thought there was something wrong with the gun. Thought I should be able to close the slide with power stroke, or slide release with empty magazine. Now I know. However, I would like to use the slide lock or release like the guy in the referenced video. Is that advisable? Thanks again for all the great advice. Glad I joined.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Dont know if it advisable or not.
Doable Yes
Proper No
With use it becomes easier to release the slide.
My shield now after many hundred rounds will release the slide when I insert a loaded mag IF I set it forcefully enough. Is it defective NO its just broke in.
Preferably you should use the proper method however usually the best method is wha works and is comfortable for the user aka you.

Generally I release the slide with the Power Stroke style release.

Do whats comfortable for you and practice it alot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Shields are just tough to rack. They get better with time. Mine has had a couple of thousand rounds through it and I had gotten to where it worked before my daughter stole it. The best thing I did was to put a small rectangle of the Talon grip material on the slide right on top of the slide serrations. I found that I could grip it more reliably to rack the thing after I did that.

But it is still a stiff little gun. It's the nature of the beast, I guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help. I think I need to use it and practice alot. Just trying to have fun and learn the correct way. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My grandfather's name was Arthur. My dad's name is Arthur. At first I thought you might be him because he just bought a Shield. My brother's name is Arthur. My nephew's name is Arthur. When will it end? I've got Arthuritis lol.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the help. I think I need to use it and practice alot. Just trying to have fun and learn the correct way. Thanks.
You would also benefit from knowledgable instruction. Check with the range your going to use and see if they have training classes.

I rarely shoot at a public range but on occasion when I am there I notice that only one or two out of ten have a good stance and shooting posture.

For me I had no choice, when I started LE some 35 years ago we were forced to shoot the way our dept range staff wanted. The shooting technique was imprinted on me for 20+ years..The last fifteen I spent time as a range officer pushing our method, stance etc. Bad techniques are hard to change or correct so do yourself a favor and pay for instruction. Talk to people that have had training, do your research and find someone in your area..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spent yesterday signing up for basic course, bought some snap caps to be safe. You are correct about learning. Bad habits are hard to break. Will try my best. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the great advice. Yes, new to shooting. Thought there was something wrong with the gun. Thought I should be able to close the slide with power stroke, or slide release with empty magazine. Now I know. However, I would like to use the slide lock or release like the guy in the referenced video. Is that advisable? Thanks again for all the great advice. Glad I joined.
I polished the slide lock and slide where they meet on my Pro 9. It works like a slide release now. I don't care for the slingshot method. Too slow for me! LOL

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spent yesterday signing up for basic course, bought some snap caps to be safe. You are correct about learning. Bad habits are hard to break. Will try my best. Thanks.
Great! Wish all new gun owners were as careful and willing as you to take time to learn how to operate a gun safely ... as well as practice with snap caps!

It's important to learn and practice things "slowly" before you even try for "speed."

Keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I polished the edge of the slide lock and the notch on the slide where the catch meets it. It is way easier to release the slide now. It does take a TON more force than my Pro 9.

Brad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hard slide

I polished the edge of the slide lock and the notch on the slide where the catch meets it. It is way easier to release the slide now. It does take a TON more force than my Pro 9.

Brad
Can you show a picture of where you polished? What did you polish it with?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the M&P Shield a few weeks ago after trying a friend's one at the range and really liking it. However, the one I bought is impossible to rack the slide on, and both the slide lock and takedown lever are very stiff. I took it to the range and had a few jams - it took two range instructors to clear them because the slide was so hard to move. I cleaned it well and lubricated, and it is no better. Could I have a lemon? I don't see any burrs or areas that are binding. I was reading some other posts on here where some people have had the same issue. I'm very frustrated right now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can you show a picture of where you polished? What did you polish it with?
I use a small felt wheel with No.31 White Rouge bar compound.

Brad

1 - 20 of 22 Posts